1966 Nova Build

Started by Glen, May 24, 2010, 10:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UGLY OLDS

Glen.....On the photo that shows the engine mount plate or "tab" welded to the vertical tubing , it looks like a "washer" or something welded to the plate under the nut...... Is this to reinforce the bolted connection or ??  
Beautiful work as always ...It's a shame to cover all that work with a  floor...

Thanx...

Bob......... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Glen

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Glen.....On the photo that shows the engine mount plate or "tab" welded to the vertical tubing , it looks like a "washer" or something welded to the plate under the nut...... Is this to reinforce the bolted connection or ??  

Yes, it is a .250 chromoly bung that welded to the back of the motor plate tab to increase the sheer strength.  The motor plate tab is chromoly also and .125 thick.  Its kind of hard to see with the DyeChem and the flash.

I am going to scallop the mid plate so it has some shape to it instead of a big square but I wanted to mount it to the upper dash bar before I started.

UGLY OLDS

QuoteYes, it is a .250 chromoly bung that welded to the back of the motor plate tab to increase the sheer strength.  The motor plate tab is chromoly also and .125 thick.  Its kind of hard to see with the DyeChem and the flash.

Got it ....Thanks .... 8)

Bob...... :wink:

Glen

Tony asked me about an update today.  I have been busy with a new job working 75-80 hours a week since 06-21.

I dont know if these pictures will show progress.  I still need to make my wheelie bars and the wishbone to locate the axle housing before I take it out of the fixture.  I have the chassis about 65% tig welded, I am trying to get as much done as possible before I take it out and flip it over.

The rear axle housing still has to have the back brace fabricated for it too.

I dont know about the Double DD mid plate, its cool  8) if you call it the Double DD plate, but not so cool if you call it the Mickey Mouse Plate.  :roll:

enjenjo

Looks like very nice work so far.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rumrumm

That is some mighty impressive fabrication work!  );b(
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Glen

Got the wishbone in today, it has a mount on the bottom of the housing.

Trying to figure out how to mount a pedal......Im really not happy with this setup, im hoping to come up with something better. a slip on bushing would keep the pedal from moving left and right, I thought I could pin one end so it could be take apart after the mounts are welded to the frame.

Also got the coilovers mounted today..

And A wheelie bar bracket from Rickie Jones.

my axles and housing ends are on the way....and the wheels should be here in two weeks.[/img]

UGLY OLDS

QuoteTrying to figure out how to mount a pedal......Im really not happy with this setup, im hoping to come up with something better. a slip on bushing would keep the pedal from moving left and right, I thought I could pin one end so it could be take apart after the mounts are welded to the frame.

How about a "collar" arrangement?? IE: Bushings made to slide on the cross shaft with setscrews to secure the position?? That way the shaft & pedal would be able to be dis-assembled by removing the collars & sliding the  pedal shafts out of the mounts ...( The pedal could be splined to fit the shaft or located with a keyway & key)..Just noodling..... :idea:

And by the way ...When are you going to show us where you REALLY work on this project     :?:   :?:   You know ....Some dust on the floor  ????     An overlooked metal chip or two  ?????

( Not just the "photo"area... )  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

Bob.................. :wink:

Crosley.In.AZ

looks good.  I see plenty of finished welds and more to do.

I need to visit again

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Glen

I ended up leaving the pedal like it was.  I plan to put a quick release pin thru each end of the shaft so it can be removed.  I didnt want the pedal this high in the car, but I am more concerned with getting my exhaust out from under the car than I am about the floor.  

I also put the rear driveshaft loop in.  I coped the top and bottom of it so it would slide inside between the two rails.

Tony the frame is about 85% fully tig welded.

Glen

a little more weekend progress.
steering column is just tacked in, I want to mount the rack before I make any more support bars for it.

machining delrin bushings for the column.

[/img]

enjenjo

Looks like you have most of the welding done.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Glen

This may not look like much but it represents a lot of work.  The housing was very time consuming to prevent warpage.  It will go to Tom Yancers Shop this week to have the housing ends installed in the fixture.

The rack is mounted, tie rods connected and steering links in.

as you can see I ended up moving the column down for header clearance.

drain plug and wishbone mount

chimp koose

Exceptional quality in the workmanship.thanks for posting.

Glen

I think it might be harder to see progress as this thing continues.

I set up the wheelie bar but Im not going to put all the bars in until the car is on the ground and I can verify the correct height. The battery boxes are tacked in and the floor and firewall is started.  The drivers side floor has to be steel and welded in....the passenger side and trans tunnel will be aluminum and dzus fastened in.