1966 Nova Build

Started by Glen, May 24, 2010, 10:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glen

Good catch.  I was going to point out that it blew the cac tube clamp at the ten second mark on the video.  That is the silicone tube between the throttle body and the firewall air tube its about four inches long for flex..  i heard it and shut it off.

I think a lot of that smoke was under the car from the burnout.

Glen

I watched that again and i think you are hearing the shift.  I replied on my phone earlier.  At some point down there it did blow the clamp off but not the rubber tube though so it maintained about 13 lbs of boost.  
You can see that flex tube here, its about 4 inches long right here at the throttle body.

Flipper

Quote from: "Glen"Good catch.  I was going to point out that it blew the cac tube clamp at the ten second mark on the video.  That is the silicone tube between the throttle body and the firewall air tube its about four inches long for flex..  i heard it and shut it off.

I think a lot of that smoke was under the car from the burnout.

What did the time slip look like up until you backed out of it?

Glen

sorry, i saw your question but i dont have the slips they are in the trailer (which is in storage).  I know the 60 foot was a 1.21, and the reaction time was a .243.  I have not been paying attention to reaction time.  When I started making passes last month I was just going thru the motions steady and easy.  Only last week did start trying to leave at the right time.  A lot of butterflies to deal with in the first runs I made.

Flipper

It would take a pretty big set of balls to make a 100% pass in your car!!!  I bet it would be one hell of a ride though.

Glen

thanks, i need to get to 1.19 or 1.20 60 ft. times, 4.4x's at 165-170 MPH at the 1/8 mile to reach my goals.

just being patient and careful right now.

kb426

I love pretty parts and that overhead shot shows a bunch of them. The 1.20 60' isn't what I was expecting. Is something in the 1.1 range a possibility after you get dialed in?
TEAM SMART

Glen

Quote from: "kb426"I love pretty parts and that overhead shot shows a bunch of them. The 1.20 60' isn't what I was expecting. Is something in the 1.1 range a possibility after you get dialed in?

You didnt think it could 1.20 60 ft?  that ugly launch above with the buck and spin was a 1.28
as long at that 14" wide tire is on the back i think a 1.19 is possible.

check out this 6.89 at 208 MPH.....it looks like a 10.5W tire, BBC with a procharger.   I know this car has had a 1.204 60 ft.

it looks better painted:

kb426

Glen, I expected it to be quicker. I thought 1.1. to 1.15 might be what it would perform. You have plenty of tire, plenty of hp.,and as good of a suspension and chassis as the evolution of the sport has allowed. Did you weight the car or did I forgot what you said?
TEAM SMART

Glen

Quote from: "kb426"Glen, I expected it to be quicker. I thought 1.1. to 1.15 might be what it would perform. You have plenty of tire, plenty of hp.,and as good of a suspension and chassis as the evolution of the sport has allowed. Did you weight the car or did I forgot what you said?
Thanks i will take that as a vote of confidence that it will do better than i expect you have more experience than i do.

It weighs just under 3200 with me in it race ready.

kb426

I just re-read this journey. From 2010 forward you have allowed us to share a most enjoyable exp. Thank you for that. At one point you stated that it was taxing your abilities. It looks to me like you were more than up to the task. You were smart enough to know when to get outside help and made good choices in the people you chose.  According to my old power calculator, your 6.90 and above 200 estimate should be the final results. I look forward to the continuing progress.  :D
TEAM SMART

Dusty

Hi Glen...
I have been watching the build since the start, and I kept wondering who you could play with once you got the car on the road.  I know drag racing is prolly safer than street racing, but occasionally you have to "Make the Drag" to see what's new on the road....well I think I found you something to go "Trolling" for...

HARDLY Stock ... 1965 Chevrolet Chevelle 'SS' 2-Door Hardtop.
"sit down ... shut up ... hang on"  (Video Ride along)

CLICK ON LINK BELOW
"
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

Glen

I didnt build the car to go to car shows, but my painter asked me to go to the GNRS.  I am very happy with Deans shop and agreed to take the car to help support them.  Kramer my upholstery guy went too, he is a comedian so we had a great time.

The Nova took first in class, but lets face it, they have a zillion classes so everyone gets a $20 trophy.

I was shocked when they called the Nova again for Outstanding Engineering.  That was pretty cool.

Then it got called again for Best Street Machine or Competition vehicle which handed over $750 and a bigger trophy.

Here is a link to the winning cars, pretty proud to be in this group.  

http://www.rodshows.com/gnrs/2013-award-winners.html

Now we have to go after that 6 second time slip.

Dusty

Good for you Glen...
Like you stated...What an honor to be in that group.
All that hard work didn't go un-noticed.  
I know you are happy.  What can you do to top this??  
Have you started looking for the Chevelle yet??
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

kb426

Did you have to get a uhaul to bring all those awards home? Congratulations. I can only speak for myself but after watching your build, I'm pleased that others recognize the level of craftsmanship on your car.
TEAM SMART