Toyota stops sales of 8 models of cars

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 27, 2010, 07:39:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unklian

Quote from: "kb426"Frank, I'm sure that story is just one of many about upper management. Wow!

"Management" is the art of sitting around waiting for
something good to happen so you can take credit for it.

No doubt, she has a Degree, or is married to someone.

57larry

this is a big hit to the state of Indiana

Flipper

Quote from: "Old Blue"Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall Toyota being widely criticized on the forum for building a car like the Echo.

What was wrong with the Echo?  Mine has gone 300,000 miles and still gets 40 mpg and has a real throttle cable.

Crosley.In.AZ

there was another car company that had a well publicized  uncontrolled acceleration  incidents back in the 1980's or 90's?  

Was it Volvo?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Danimal

Quote from: "Old Blue"
Anyway, at this point I'm willing to give kudos to Toyota for doing what has never been done before. Saying they will stop sales of certain models till they fix the problem.

That is the way a company should step up to the plate, unfortunately most times an auto companies game plan is to deny deny.

It wasn't stepping up to any plate. It is a NHTSA requirement that you stop shipping. Legally, they were supposed to do it last week when they announced the recall. They COULD get in a world of crap for not doing it on time. They have been DENY DENY DENY since 2007 when this started, remember the floor mat story...

wayne petty

Quote from: "Crosley"there was another car company that had a well publicized  uncontrolled acceleration  incidents back in the 1980's or 90's?  

Was it Volvo?

no.. auto union... they denied it also...  even with video of the kick back of one of the valves in the transmission valve body  pushing the throttle pedal down..    they had the throttle lever work the TV lever on the trans and that relayed the movement to the throttle body..  

there was a mazda sedan at a friends F dealer.. would sit there.. go from idle to the rev limiter.   again and again. all by its self... in front of 25 mechanics.. mazda said that it did not have a problem.. give the car back to the customer...  there was a shout.. no way... from the group of techs standing there...

i don't know how it got fixed.. but unplugging the something in the cruise control ( i was not there) seemed to stop the problem..

enjenjo

Quote from: "Old Blue"Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall Toyota being widely criticized on the forum for building a car like the Echo.

It seems that the company was loyally defended by Carps ? I think !

Anyway, at this point I'm willing to give kudos to Toyota for doing what has never been done before. Saying they will stop sales of certain models till they fix the problem.

That is the way a company should step up to the plate, unfortunately most times an auto companies game plan is to deny deny.

I think in the long run this will be good for Toyota.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Old Blue

Quote from: "Flipper"

What was wrong with the Echo?  Mine has gone 300,000 miles and still gets 40 mpg and has a real throttle cable.

What was wrong with it ? Well lets see, it is a butt ugly little throw away car. What else do we need to know  :lol:

unklian

Quote from: "Crosley"there was another car company that had a well publicized  uncontrolled acceleration  incidents back in the 1980's or 90's?  

Was it Volvo?

Audi 5000 ?

Danimal

Heard yesterday that the same accelerators are used in Europe and now the EU is looking into it.

Global designs can lead to global problems!

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "unklian"

Was it Volvo?

Audi 5000 ?

I do not remember what brand of car  or  the incident that wayne mentions..

there was a investagation show on  TV  into an incident where the car crushed some person in a garage  against a wall.  there were black marks on the concrete where the rear tires were spinning.

The car manufacturer claimed "pedal misapplication"  ....  I do not even recall how this situation ended.  

CRS applies to me
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Old Blue

Just for general information, I had a limited production Ford which was a 2004 Supercharged Cobra Mustang.

It was part of a recall where they recalled all 2003-2004 Cobra Mustangs for a situation where the gas pedal would stick under the carpet.

The recall solution was a dealer installed metal shield to stop the pedal from grabbing under the edge of a cutout in the carpet.

Worked very well.

Imagine a stuck gas pedal in a car that produced 425 HP with 10 pounds of boost  :shock:

wayne petty

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "unklian"

Was it Volvo?

Audi 5000 ?

I do not remember what brand of car  or  the incident that wayne mentions..

there was a investagation show on  TV  into an incident where the car crushed some person in a garage  against a wall.  there were black marks on the concrete where the rear tires were spinning.

The car manufacturer claimed "pedal misapplication"  ....  I do not even recall how this situation ended.  

CRS applies to me

sorry to be cryptic...

AUDI... 5000 and 5000 turbo...

i have had a friend have a throttle misapplication right infront of my house.. she was used to driving her 69 firebird.. but it was rear ended... she got a  used mitsubishi... that had overdrive burned out.. KM trans,, she could not hear that her foot was on the gas pedal... all the way to the floor not the brake... ended up taking out some stub telephone poles in a planter..i think her model was right before the shift interlock..

papastoyss

Audi did have the accelerator problem in the early 80's but all their cars are FWD except a few AWD models.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

Danimal

Quote from: "Danimal"Heard yesterday that the same accelerators are used in Europe and now the EU is looking into it.

Global designs can lead to global problems!

They stopped sales in China and EU today. Didn't take long to throw CTS of Elkhart, IN under the bus for being the manufacturer. Now CTS is building 2 MILLION replacements yet they say the built to an approved Toyota design.

I've worked for suppliers to the OEMs in the past and there are tons of tests we do for part approvals. I can't believe that it is good for CTS especially since they also sell a similar part to Ford for China and for Honda in the US. If they were throwing a company I owned under the bus, I'd be telling them to pound salt and find their own replacement parts.