Toyota stops sales of 8 models of cars

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 27, 2010, 07:39:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "wayne petty"
Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "unklian"
Quote from: "Crosley"there was another car company that had a well publicized  uncontrolled acceleration  incidents back in the 1980's or 90's?  

Was it Volvo?

Audi 5000 ?

I do not remember what brand of car  or  the incident that wayne mentions..

there was a investagation show on  TV  into an incident where the car crushed some person in a garage  against a wall.  there were black marks on the concrete where the rear tires were spinning.

The car manufacturer claimed "pedal misapplication"  ....  I do not even recall how this situation ended.  

CRS applies to me

sorry to be cryptic...

AUDI... 5000 and 5000 turbo...

i have had a friend have a throttle misapplication right infront of my house.. she was used to driving her 69 firebird.. but it was rear ended... she got a  used mitsubishi... that had overdrive burned out.. KM trans,, she could not hear that her foot was on the gas pedal... all the way to the floor not the brake... ended up taking out some stub telephone poles in a planter..i think her model was right before the shift interlock..

no need to be  crytic...  i did not remember thr brand of vehicle.

it has been a few years and i do not recall stuff well at times.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

purplepickup

Quote from: "Danimal"I've worked for suppliers to the OEMs in the past and there are tons of tests we do for part approvals. I can't believe that it is good for CTS especially since they also sell a similar part to Ford for China and for Honda in the US. If they were throwing a company I owned under the bus, I'd be telling them to pound salt and find their own replacement parts.
I retired from engineering at Eaton Corp, an OEM supplier, and when a problem like this came up we ID'd the bad parts and inspected them to print and specs.

If the parts were bad because of a problem with us or one of our suppliers, we had the responsibility to fix it and replace parts asap.  Liability is up in the air.  The OEM should be inspecting too.

If parts were made to OEM prints and they had a design problem, we worked with them to fix the problem.

One thing about "just in time" manufacturing is that the capacity is in place to make and ship good parts quickly and there's not a lot of inventory to scrap.

I'll bet this will cost Toyota hundreds of millions of dollars and some reputation.  Stuff happens.

Sue has an '08 Rav4 and I have an '09 Vibe so we'll probably both drive right through the back wall of the garage pretty soon.
George

river1

Quote from: "purplepickup"Sue has an '08 Rav4 and I have an '09 Vibe so we'll probably both drive right through the back wall of the garage pretty soon.

make sure to park/aim right where you want to expand the garage, that way you can make lemonade with the lemons :wink:  :wink:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Danimal

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "Danimal"I've worked for suppliers to the OEMs in the past and there are tons of tests we do for part approvals. I can't believe that it is good for CTS especially since they also sell a similar part to Ford for China and for Honda in the US. If they were throwing a company I owned under the bus, I'd be telling them to pound salt and find their own replacement parts.
I retired from engineering at Eaton Corp, an OEM supplier, and when a problem like this came up we ID'd the bad parts and inspected them to print and specs.

If the parts were bad because of a problem with us or one of our suppliers, we had the responsibility to fix it and replace parts asap.  Liability is up in the air.  The OEM should be inspecting too.

If parts were made to OEM prints and they had a design problem, we worked with them to fix the problem.

One thing about "just in time" manufacturing is that the capacity is in place to make and ship good parts quickly and there's not a lot of inventory to scrap.

I'll bet this will cost Toyota hundreds of millions of dollars and some reputation.  Stuff happens.

Sue has an '08 Rav4 and I have an '09 Vibe so we'll probably both drive right through the back wall of the garage pretty soon.

Yeah, but the finger pointing was usually kept within the walls, wasn't it? What is bugging me is the openess they are showing to throw CTS under the bus. CTS is now going to the press to say they did make to print. I just don't agree with the dirtly laundry.

I don't care WHO'S fault it is, fix it.

river1

Quote from: "Danimal"
Quote from: "purplepickup"

Yeah, but the finger pointing was usually kept within the walls, wasn't it? What is bugging me is the openess they are showing to throw CTS under the bus. CTS is now going to the press to say they did make to print. I just don't agree with the dirtly laundry.

i'd be willing to bet the problems at Eaton didn't end up killing people. toyotas problem has. bringing CTS into it helps at least initially to lessen toyota's public blame and liabilty.  

i agree tho  I don't care WHO'S fault it is, fix it!
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

purplepickup

Quote from: "Danimal"Yeah, but the finger pointing was usually kept within the walls, wasn't it? What is bugging me is the openess they are showing to throw CTS under the bus. CTS is now going to the press to say they did make to print. I just don't agree with the dirtly laundry.

It seems like it's acceptable....almost normal...to point fingers when something doesn't go the way it's expected to nowadays.  That's a shame.  I'm sure that liability lawyers have pushed that.  This one's going to cost a lot.

CTS seems to be doing a good job of dealing with it and certainly doesn't deserve any unnecessary blame.

It's amazing to me that as technologically sophisticated as cars are today that so very few things go wrong.
George

Crosley.In.AZ

I asked a guy at work  why he was still driving his Camry.  His comment was : "I will sue  them if something happens."

My response was not if you and  your wife  are dead.
Tony

unklian

Canadian media says these gas pedals were manufactured in Ontario.
American media says they were manufactured in Indiana.  :?:

If the parts were made to the spec supplied by the customer,
then it isn't the suppliers fault that the design is faulty.

Quote for the day:

"Harmony between man, nature and machine"
Toyota.com

wayne petty

update...  there is news.... toyota has a batch of new gas pedals...  but.. the dealers and owners are upset.. the first batch went to the production  lines.. to keep them open...   i have not had the news on today yet.. so i don't know if they are still planning on a complete shut down..

i would imagine the pedal manufacturer..  is running 3 shifts trying to make 8 million replacement gas pedals.. ... i wonder... who made the mistake??

and what the actual mistake or failure was...

when drive by wire first came out.. i recall a  short notice about it.. that the pedals have double or triple sensors to prevent this kind of problem..

i just had a thought....  this is a digital drive by wire system...  done not digital language... consist of only 0's and 1's

perhaps.. they will have to change the words to the song ... drive it like you stole it.. to drive it like an out of control toyota.. ..  yikes..

i should not be joking.. as 20 people were killed at 2,000 injured..

Bruce Dorsi

Are all the models re-called "Throttle-by-wire"?

Did all of the models re-called use the same part?

Our 2006 Toyota Sienna van has throttle-by-wire but has not been re-called ---yet!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Flipper

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"Are all the models re-called "Throttle-by-wire"?

Our 2006 Toyota Sienna van has throttle-by-wire but has not been re-called ---yet!

Where was your Sienna built? I seems like it is a North American pedal problem.

Crosley.In.AZ

here is a  list I found online in news and may not be complete:

QuoteToyota's 2009-2010 RAV4, Corolla and Matrix models;

the 2005-2010 Avalon;

2010 Highlander;

2007-2010 Tundra and the 2008-2010 Sequoia; and

some 2007-2010 Camrys (only those with gas pedal assemblies made by a specific Toyota supplier; your dealer can check).

No Lexus or Scion models are involved.

I had been looking around at Toyota as a replacement for my current daily driver  this  year or 2011

:shock:
Tony

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "Flipper"
Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"Are all the models re-called "Throttle-by-wire"?

Where was your Sienna built? I seems like it is a North American pedal problem.

I believe it was built in Richmond, Indiana.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

junkyardjeff

I think the corvette was the first car to have the drive by wire and I was thinking it might be trouble if there is a malfunction but I figured it would be GM not Toyota,you cant pay me enough to buy a car with drive by wire now and will stick with them that have a cable.  If something happens to one with a cable I can usually rig it so I can get home and most of my vehicles have a manual choke so I can pull the choke out some so I could limp home on side streets.

wayne petty

update...

i ran across this post on another site...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/toyota-gas-pedal-fix-explained-with-exclusive-photos/

its an important read.. and i think there is a second part linked at the end...