A new project

Started by Charlie Chops 1940, June 03, 2009, 10:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

I went out to Wichita a couple weeks ago and did some trading for a '63 Volvo 544 sedan. Brought home a big load of parts and will have to make another trip for the balance. Lots of engines, transmissions and extra sheet metal which I will sell as soon as I have it all and canm get everything sorted out.

Like most new projects I was itching to leave my mark,  so I started chipping off red enamel to see what repairs I have up front. Got the roof and cowl cleaned off  and dealt with some bump work, a couple welds and a couple light filler applications.

Moved to the trunk lid and found that it had been skinned with mud. I started out to raise the area beside and below the trunk handle and as I chipped away a little bud I discovered a really ragged dent. Tough old Volvo, the dent was all contained within the confines of the inner structure and could not be reached...so I cut that sucker out. Spent about an hour on rough reshaping for welding it back in. Tomorrows coffee time project.

More to follow. Like, how much horsepower to throw at it and how many speeds in the hand grinder...
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Beck

Cool project Charlie! I have always liked that body style, but havn't seen many around. I checked out a MGBGT today but yours looks neater.

wayne petty

old volvos.... great...  now to find a 73 144...  with a B20F motor... fuel injected.. same as the b16 - b18 but with CIS fuel injection...

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0900c152/80/06/41/77/medium/0900c15280064177.gif

seems they even had electronic fuel injection on one year in a 144.

or step up to a B21F... with mechanical CIS fuel injection...

does it have disc brakes on the front????? those can come off later 66 up 122 models...

purplepickup

Man, you don't let much grass grow under your butt do you?  Nice body and lots of potential. 8)
George

WZ JUNK

Hey, the background in those first couple of shots looks familiar.

I am glad you are sitting around.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

jaybee

Cool car, that's going to be really neat.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Flipper

Is this gonna be stock?  or a hot rod?

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "Flipper"Is this gonna be stock?  or a hot rod?

It'll be a hot rod for sure. It'll probably get the B66.5 engine ( 406 sbc).

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

sirstude

There is a guy here in Helena that has spent the last 35 years or so working on one of them.  Early Ford I beam, and 9" rear.  Chopped severly, and a pancaked hood.  Small block set way back.  I don't know if he will ever manage to get it done.  He will work on it for a few months, and then quit for a few years.  Really neat car though.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

tompeters

oh man one of my favorite body styles 8) you ought to have an outstanding ride with this. never see any of these done . you have my attention for sure!

Mac

Great project!
My very first car was a `59 PV544 which, being a $200 POS, gave me my first lessons in wrenching, . My 2nd car was a `63 122S coupe that eventually got a B20 and Laycock OD.
SBC sounds like fun.  8)

Google search just yielded this inspiration:
Who\'s yer Data?

Charlie Chops 1940

Mac,

There's some of what I have in mind in that concept drawing...widened fenders for sure, but probably 15" or 16" dismeter wheels and 60/70 series tires.

Thanks for posting it.

Charlie

A Hooligan!

wayne petty

Charlie Chops 1940

Wayne, Never ran across that site. Been a lot of stuff done to those back in the motherland. Some interesting stuff. Thanks for posting it. I could probably remove the front sheet metal, run a '32 shell and have it all covered. LOL

Charlie

A Hooligan!

wchappo

Hi Charlie("bird dog"),saw this the other day,it seems like no one is game to ask,but seeing,i'm far enough away,where are the Bowls& the bowling hat going(don't forget the white stockings& sandals) :roll:  :shock: ,Well there goes my US connection ,will really have to suck up next time :lol:  :lol:  :lol: ,now!!! i wonder where my dad's gear is, nope looks like he took them with him,when he went to the other side :twisted:,anyway it's great to see your keeping active,Wayne("Chappo")