AD Disc Brake Conversion Help Needed

Started by Danimal, April 19, 2009, 04:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danimal

I got a "slightly used" AD disc brake conversion from a guy I know a while back and I've finally started looking at it. One of the inner wheel bearing sets is missing and I don't know what calipers or discs I have. What I DO know is that the bearings I do have do not fit the spindles.

The guy who had it says the axle they came off of had a sleeve on it to make up the space. I've heard you can get different sized bearings. Does anyone know what I need to do to do this and what the proper ID would be?

enjenjo

Unfortunately for that setup, there is no "right" size bearing. You are going to have to use a sleeve, and a spacer to move the inner bearing out a bit. If you can get the bolt pattern of the rotor, and the inner bearing and seal number, I can figure out what rotor you have. With this info, we can figure out who's kit was used, and you can more than likely get the spacer sleeve from them.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Danimal

Thanks, Frank. I've got the whole pile and I can bring it down at some point. I'll see if I can clean up the stuff to read it all.

They are Chevy 4 3/4" bolt pattern 5 lugs and it LOOKS like the Speedway kit.

There is a number on one of the rotors, I'll have to pull it off. I think it starts with a 33xxxx or an 83xxxx. Maybe 2270 is the last 4? I'll have to check and get back to you.

Thanks!

50jimmy

I have this conversion on my 50. There is supposed to be a sleeve/spacer that is a press/expansion fit on the spindle. If I remember right, I think the inner bearing might match up with  pinto. Its been a while, so I might be fuzzy on that. The rotors are mid seventies chevelle if memory serves. Scott.

Danimal

Thanks, Scott. Didn't know about the bearings but the rotors definitely look like Camaro/Chevelle units.

I'm trying to get the original axle from the guy via swap. He can't get the spacers off anyway!

50jimmy

That would probably be the easy route to go. The directions with my kit said you could heat up those sleeve/spacers in the oven, apparently not our oven, it took the torch to get em good and hot to get them to slide on.

Quote from: "Danimal"Thanks, Scott. Didn't know about the bearings but the rotors definitely look like Camaro/Chevelle units.

I'm trying to get the original axle from the guy via swap. He can't get the spacers off anyway!

Danimal

Yeah, he said he tried to heat them up to get them off but they didn't budge. Heck of a press fit!

Worse comes to worst, I'll just buy a new set!

OldSub

I had to heat mine up real hot to get them on.  I'd hate to think what it would take to get them back off.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

50jimmy

I think chevy duty, um i mean classic parts of america, has the kit with the bearings, caliper brackets and spacers/sleeves and mounting bolts for about a hundred bucks.  Then just go down to auto zone and get the rest of it and save a bunch of money over the "complete" kit that has rotors and calipers.  

It was less expensive in the long run to switch to disc brakes and upgrade the bearings at the same time than it would have been to convert from roller bearings and rebuild the stock brakes. no brainer for me anyway.

Danimal

I didn't really want to spend the $100 because I already have everything but the spacers and 1 bearing set. I was hoping someone had drawings and I could have them made at work!

Maybe I should buy the kit and duplicate the spacers, replace the bearing and do both mine and my kid's trucks!

sirstude

Quote from: "Danimal"I didn't really want to spend the $100 because I already have everything but the spacers and 1 bearing set. I was hoping someone had drawings and I could have them made at work!

Maybe I should buy the kit and duplicate the spacers, replace the bearing and do both mine and my kid's trucks!

Now you are talking !!!
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Danimal

Funny how they ALL have the same kit (probably made by the same lathe in China) but prices are everywhere from $90-150!

Anybody use RBs? I think they had the one closer to $90.

enjenjo

Quote from: "Danimal"Funny how they ALL have the same kit (probably made by the same lathe in China) but prices are everywhere from $90-150!

RBs went belly up several months ago.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

OldSub

Quote from: "Danimal"Funny how they ALL have the same kit (probably made by the same lathe in China) but prices are everywhere from $90-150!

I got mine and a dual master bracket from ChevyDuty and felt the disk kit was competitive but later discovered I paid much more for the bracket than what it would have costs at CPP.

I had poor experience with RB's service even when they were local to me.  And I never felt they were friendly or helpful at shows.  At this point I'd pay more to support a vender that believes in serving the customer.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

Danimal

I remember RB's going out as well. Maybe I've got the initials wrong and it was RJ's. I'll confirm before I make any decision.

I'll also check and see if any are HAMB Alliance Vendors, I've met many of you there and kept the boy's build thread up. I also support Stovebolt.com sponsors when I can.

Anybody here a vendor? I get more hands on help from the guys here!