AD Disc Brake Conversion Help Needed

Started by Danimal, April 19, 2009, 04:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I would call CPP and see if you can get just the bearing spacers. A lot of vendors will sell just the parts you need, but don't list them in the catalog.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

50jimmy

I have bought most of my parts from classic parts of america in kansas city. I also like bow tie bits in wichita. There is brothers truck parts, Jim Carter truck parts, LMC truck parts.  Any one of these can probably help you out. There are several others as well, these are the ones that come first to mind.

50jimmy

I found this link on the chevy duty website. It might be of some help to you or others. Looks like the build the brackets and such for disk brake conversions on about anything.

http://www.scarebird.com/

Danimal

Cool. I sent an Email to CPP. We'll see where that goes.

Scarebird doesn't list the 47-59 truck so I didn't bother.

My52Chebby

Danimal,

Sorry to highjack your post but Enjejo just contacted me re: my post...

Does anyone repop the inner w/shield trim for 1947 to 1953 AD trucks???

Enjenjo said:

Outside of the center bar, not to my knowledge, but Danimal may have some spares.

My question to you is do you have a good set of spares straight with no rust?

Thanks

My52Chebby

Danimal

Sorry, right now I don't even have a set for Eli's truck. Don't even have the center strip! I'll keep my eyes peeled, though.

Danimal

Is he taking the whole thing? I do want to go 5 lug on my truck. I got a 235 and a T5 for it so if he's only taking the body, let me know. I don't really want to have the left over hulk at the house but if that's what is going to get me my drums and rear end...let me know.

Bought Court a '93 Chevy 1500 XCab 305/700r4 for a DD this week. Need to do the exhaust and a windshield. Getting tires and wheels next week for it. It will need the donut gaskets replaced so I'm looking forward to that! All 6 bolts are pretty bad. Any suggestions?

I'll get casting numbers on the big truck for you. I don't see any sensor bosses in these, they look to be in the downpipe only.

Sorry I haven't made it out. Not feeling great lately. I'm calling the doc tomorrow.

Mac

Quote from: "Danimal". It will need the donut gaskets replaced so I'm looking forward to that! All 6 bolts are pretty bad. Any suggestions?

I had to do donut gaskets on my 92 K1500 350 /700r4 and on Enjenjo's excellent advice I removed the maifolds to do the job. With rusted studs on the collectors it never could have been done inplace.
I did end up having problems fitting the mani's back on the heads. It seems they warp slightly and this throws off the bolt pattern. I had to ream / file out the end holes to get both mani's to go back together.
Who\'s yer Data?

Danimal

I can see a manifold bolt working its way out already. I'm hoping it isn't broken off and just sitting there.

Either way, Enjenjo showed me a good trick for the pulled in/out bolt pattern manifolds as well when we did Court's truck this Feb. I'll let him give away his trick!

enjenjo

I jack the ends of the manifold out with a bolt and nut to get the bolts started. Works every time.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Mac

Quote from: "enjenjo"I jack the ends of the manifold out with a bolt and nut to get the bolts started. Works every time.

Forgive my density, but can you elaborate?
Who\'s yer Data?

river1

Quote from: "Mac"
Quote from: "enjenjo"I jack the ends of the manifold out with a bolt and nut to get the bolts started. Works every time.

Forgive my density, but can you elaborate?

+1

????

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Danimal

Using about a 3/8" to 1/2" bolt that fits between the manifold legs that need to be spread and a pair of nuts, put the nuts on the bolt, put the bolt between the legs of the manifold. "Unscrew" the nut so it jams up against the leg and spreads the manifold. Use the second nut as a stop nut so it holds while you get the manifold in. You need 2 wrenches, 3 hands, and 4 swear words.

jaybee

Quote from: "Danimal"Using about a 3/8" to 1/2" bolt that fits between the manifold legs that need to be spread and a pair of nuts, put the nuts on the bolt, put the bolt between the legs of the manifold. "Unscrew" the nut so it jams up against the leg and spreads the manifold. Use the second nut as a stop nut so it holds while you get the manifold in. You need 2 wrenches, 3 hands, and 4 swear words.

Oh good, I know way more swear words than that.  :)
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Danimal

But you know how it is if you go just 1 turn too many...SNAP!