*** Update (w/ pics) 48 chevy pick 'em up truck

Started by Flipper, January 08, 2007, 12:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danimal

Good point. I've seen where Kustombuilder did that over on the HAMB with a short bed frame.

7" does look different. I set them both up once. It is far from centered on the rear end and looks goofy to me.

Flipper

Quote from: "Danimal"Good point. I've seen where Kustombuilder did that over on the HAMB with a short bed frame.

7" does look different. I set them both up once. It is far from centered on the rear end and looks goofy to me.

In my opinion, its just not the wheelbase, It's also the flow of the shape of the frame in relation to where the wheels are.  There also needs to be the right amount of frame showing behind the rear wheels.  On a flatbed truck (at least on mine), the frame is exposed the whole length.  It needs the long frame.  Flipping the springs might work where you could hide it under sheetmetal though.

Danimal

Flipper

Flipper

Also made it to the Bowling Green Hot Rod Reunion!

Bowling Green was hot and humid, but we still had fun.

I parked next to a really cool little modified on Saturday afternoon.  Simple, neat car.

For shatzandgiggles, we drove it to the show and shine judging tent.  :)

Judge told me that that the car with the absolute lowest score wins rat rod.... They didn't call my name as a winner.  I guess that is a good thing.  :)

Flipper

We are seriously considering driving the 48 to the Bonneville Salt Flats for Speed Week!  .....leave the street rod nationals and head west.  

It will be around a 4,000 miles round trip.

I have to do some work in the next month if it is going to happen.  I need to figure out how to install a bigger radiator and get rid of the vibration I have at highway speeds (driveshaft related I think).

Mac

Re: Driveshaft vibration. I have heard a backyard trick to locate imbalance is to use a hose clamp and keep rotating it's placement until you have improvement. Might need an additional small weight under the screw area for severe imbalance. After you find the optimum spot and weight you can plug weld a similar steel weight there. (Assuming it's a steel shaft)
Who\'s yer Data?

Flipper

The big new aluminum radiator is about 75% installed.

I had to modify my previous mounting brackets for the thicker radiator.

And move the mounting location for the grill supports

And section the heck out of the hood latch piece.  I added 2 3/4 inches and had to clearance for the filler cap.  Not completely happy/done yet.

I also added a cap to the top to hide the radiator and retain the fan.

Flipper

Got it together enough to drive yesterday. Man, that Howe radiator can get rid of some heat! It does an excellent job of cooling the water. The downside is I now have what feels like 10 times the hot air getting blown back towards the cab....some of it is finding its way into the cab.

This radiator came with  instructions to run a 22-24lb radiator cap.  I have a 20lb cap on it now (what I had at the house).  The radiator hoses swell up big time.  Will a standard hose take this abuse?

papastoyss

Quote from: "Flipper"Got it together enough to drive yesterday. Man, that Howe radiator can get rid of some heat! It does an excellent job of cooling the water. The downside is I now have what feels like 10 times the hot air getting blown back towards the cab....some of it is finding its way into the cab.

This radiator came with  instructions to run a 22-24lb radiator cap.  I have a 20lb cap on it now (what I had at the house).  The radiator hoses swell up big time.  Will a standard hose take this abuse?
Usually if the hose swells a lot it is a sign the fabric reinforcement is starting to fail.I would invest in new hoses before taking a long trip. See you at  the last REAL Street Rod Nationals.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

Flipper

When I bought the truck, the guy said that it had been a prop in an Alan Jackson music video.  It looks like he was telling the truth.

Check out the right hand side of the screen at about 1:04 and then again a few seconds later.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/videos/--21275982

I can't believe I waited this long to watch the video.

Flipper

I'm done with the rust thing.  This winter I am going to swap cabs and make this a nicer truck.

Don't get me wrong, it has been fun, but I think I can improve on it (and I happen to have a great cab in the barn).

Right now, I'm thinking about sectioning it forward of the doors.  Something like 1.5 inches through the hood, raising the fenders by the same amount, and trimming an inch or two from the bottom of the trailing side of the fender.  The truck will go down a couple more inches also.

Currently thinking about keeping it a flatbed, but it will be redone with nicer wood (maybe sheetmetal sides under the flatbed).

Oh yeah, the new cab will get air conditioning!

enjenjo

Quote from: "Flipper"I'm done with the rust thing.  This winter I am going to swap cabs and make this a nicer truck.

Don't get me wrong, it has been fun, but I think I can improve on it (and I happen to have a great cab in the barn).

Right now, I'm thinking about sectioning it forward of the doors.  Something like 1.5 inches through the hood, raising the fenders by the same amount, and trimming an inch or two from the bottom of the trailing side of the fender.  The truck will go down a couple more inches also.

Currently thinking about keeping it a flatbed, but it will be redone with nicer wood (maybe sheetmetal sides under the flatbed).

Oh yeah, the new cab will get air conditioning!

Gold Chainer  :D
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Flipper

Quote from: "enjenjo"Gold Chainer  :D

A friend of mine scraped his leg on one of the jagged door edges at the Hot Rod Reunion this past weekend.  That was the last straw.

kb426

I respect your position. I'd call that a forward move.
TEAM SMART