*** Update (w/ pics) 48 chevy pick 'em up truck

Started by Flipper, January 08, 2007, 12:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Flipper

Quote from: "enjenjo"So, how was the NATS?

As a spectator...OK, but kinda hot.

I made it to Louisville, but the truck didn't.

On Friday, dad said the trans was leaking fluid and he didn't want to risk it. By the time I found out he wasn't making the 250 mile drive from his house to mine....it was too late for me to do anything about it.

I have two more weekends between now and frog follies to fix little things.

Danimal

His trans or your trans was leaking?

Hope to hear it is out and about soon.

Flipper

Quote from: "Danimal"His trans or your trans was leaking?

Hope to hear it is out and about soon.

THE trans was leaking.

I don't have a garage....he has a 70 x 70.  

We built the truck in his garage outside of Memphis, TN.  

I live in Franklin, KY.

I've been burning a ton of gas to built this truck.

Danimal

Ugh. I didn't realize you were having a long distance relationship with your truck! That's gotta SUCK.

Good luck getting it fixed and enjoy the tar out of it!

Flipper

Dad was hot rodding around the neighborhood and somebody called the cops on him.

They didn't figure out who he was or where he lived, but they were driving around for quite a while and set up radar in the area for a couple of days.

He dodged the bullet that time, but didn't want to get it out with the loud pipes again.............so we made silencers from left-over hearder tubes and other misc junk.

They look like crap, but they work good and can be removed in 15 seconds.

Flipper

I also modified the air cleaner base so that it was no longer low-profile...it now clears the distributor cap/plug wires.

before:

after:

Danimal

What wheel base are you using for the frame and is that a stock flatbed? I've got another set of parts enough to build a truck but I really like that look you've got going on.

Flipper

Quote from: "Danimal"What wheel base are you using for the frame and is that a stock flatbed? I've got another set of parts enough to build a truck but I really like that look you've got going on.

The frame is an extended cab S10.  I think it is somewhere around 122".

The flatbed is an original GM stakebed.  I cut around 10" out of it (I think).

I think the proportions came out pretty good for just playing around with a $450 truck.

Danimal

Looks great. I've got a standard cab frame. I think the X cabs were 122 like you said. We had ours sitting on one for a while but I sold the frame to a HAMBer.  I don't think I'll extend it but I'll look around for an X cab frame again. Maybe I can swap for the one I've got.

Enjenjo might have one...wanna trade?

Otherwise I'll make it a regular bed. Got a whole truck worth of parts!

enjenjo

QuoteEnjenjo might have one...wanna trade?

Nope, no extended cab frames.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Quote from: "Danimal"Looks great. I've got a standard cab frame. I think the X cabs were 122 like you said. We had ours sitting on one for a while but I sold the frame to a HAMBer.  I don't think I'll extend it but I'll look around for an X cab frame again. Maybe I can swap for the one I've got.
Enjenjo might have one...wanna trade?Otherwise I'll make it a regular bed. Got a whole truck worth of parts!
When you get into those trucks there's stand cab short bed and long bed. The short bed WB is 108" and the long bed is 117". The shortening of them is usually done in the center of the length where the rear frame section slides inside the front frame clip ( or it can be done like I did over the rear axel). There are other peculiarities and if you want to start your own Forum I'm sure everyone will have something to say on it. GPster

Danimal

Yep, almost done with the first one. Used an X cab and shortened as you state. Made it 116.5" for the '54 that is my son's. When we had one of our parts cabs sitting on the other X cab frame, we threw the flat bed on it. Looked good but I had an offer for the frame so I took it. Now I'm down to a standard/long frame and it is just too short for the flat bed in my opinion. I may run up to the yard in Dundee MI (by Cabela's) to see if he's got an X cab one cheap. Maybe he'll trade me!

If not, I've still got a factory box so we can just build twin trucks and I'll watch for an X cab frame to fall into my hands. Maybe Detroit Craigslist...

Danimal

Well that was a bad idea. I've found about 3 potential candidates and all are runners. More money than I wanted to spend right now!

Flipper, you are going to get me in trouble! I dig your truck and hope you have her running back and forth soon enough.

GPster

Quote from: "Danimal"Yep, almost done with the first one. Used an X cab and shortened as you state. Made it 116.5" for the '54 that is my son's. When we had one of our parts cabs sitting on the other X cab frame, we threw the flat bed on it. Looked good but I had an offer for the frame so I took it. Now I'm down to a standard/long frame and it is just too short for the flat bed in my opinion. I may run up to the yard in Dundee MI (by Cabela's) to see if he's got an X cab one cheap. Maybe he'll trade me!
If not, I've still got a factory box so we can just build twin trucks and I'll watch for an X cab frame to fall into my hands. Maybe Detroit Craigslist...
If you think a couple of inches might change the look enough, swap the rear leaf springs end-for-end. That would also put the rear end closer to the end of the frame rails. GPster