*** Update (w/ pics) 48 chevy pick 'em up truck

Started by Flipper, January 08, 2007, 12:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flipper

This was my solution for the brake switch. I mounted a mid 80's GM switch in the top, rear surface of the S-10 brake bracket and then addwd an arm to the back of the brake pedal. The you hit the brakes, the lever moves up...and off of the switch. (I should have taken pics while the whole assembly was out.

Flipper

I realized I need more switches (electric fan and hazard lights), but didn't want them mounted just anywhere. I squeezed them in my new "seat dash"

It was a tight fit trying to fit them in the switch panel that was not designed for any extra stuff. I made a cardbodrd template that was the same size as the switch and used a center punch to find a spot where the switches fit.

It worked great!

Flipper

The dash-dash now has idiot lights. The outside ones are for turn signals, the inner ones are oil pressure and water temperature.

Wiring that stuff up.....sucked!

....But it cranked on the first try!!!!!!

New glass is next.  The stuff showed up on Friday, but I took too long on wiring to really get anywhere.

Danimal

Great to hear it fired on the first try. Can't wait to get the fair out of the way so we can get back to Court's truck. I want to hear it RUN!

river1

hey you have a peice of tape on your shoe :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

that's a cool little under seat switch box, helps keep the dash clean :idea:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Danimal

Quote from: "river1"hey you have a peice of tape on your shoe :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I thought that was what kept him from getting stuck under the dash. He taped himself to the window frame. :D

enjenjo

The tail light lens is the reason the light from the LEDs difuses It;s a Fresnell lense. You might get better results with another type of lens.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Flipper

Danimal

Where did you get the 'deluxe' chrome strips for the corner and rear windows? We have the rest for Court's 54 but not those!

Flipper

Quote from: "Danimal"Where did you get the 'deluxe' chrome strips for the corner and rear windows? We have the rest for Court's 54 but not those!

From Classic Parts of America.  

The chrome strip is not stainless steel like the other windows.  It is the plastic locking bead that is chrome plated.  Looks ok to me.

I am pretty sure it was the same price as all black.

Flipper

With any luck, it will be "finished" after this weekend. .....and ready for louisville and frog follies.

I need to:

1) seat the front windshield a little better (the center rubber doesn't rest on the metal divider yet).

2) Install side windows.

3) make some simple door panels/armrest.

4) make a shifter boot.

5) quickly plug some of the holes in the firewall.

6) install some of that bubble insulation.

7) Install wally-world carpet.

8)take pictures for insurance

enjenjo

I hope you have a great time with it. I like it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Flipper

Man, what a hot nasty weekend for working on a truck!

I started out buy making a ton of plugs for all of the holes in the firewall.

Yes this was fresh, clean metal a day earlier.  100% humidity sucks!  I welded them in from inside the cab to preserve the 60 year old dirt on the firewall.  

Then I installed bubble wrap.

Then installed most of the carpet.  I still need to cut pieces for the firewall.  I also attempted to make door panels, but the clips I had were too short and didn't really work.

Dad didn't want me doing burnouts on the concrete, so we rutted up the yard :)  One set was mine, the other was his!

Flipper

I went ahead and snapped a few more pictures...including one of the blinkers for whoever that was asking.

Danimal

Looks great. Have a ton of fun at the show. Don't forget your tarp straps, you might need to bring some parts home since you are running a flat bed.