Econoline and Ford F-100 truck brake questions.

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, August 19, 2010, 11:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnut

My friend Roger (r26ford here) has some info on Econoline disc brakes here.

it's about putting discs on econoline spindles, not Maverick, but just thought I would throw it out there.

Econoline Disc Brake Install

enjenjo

Quote from: "Crosley"Wayne and enjenjo are the two with the knowledge...  Wayne did lots of digging.

At 5am this morning I was out measuring the depth of the hubs.  

The econoline hub is about .300 deeper than the Maverick hub area where the bearings seat.

The econoline spindle is about .300  longer than the Maverick spindle = a matching amount.

May need to be a spacer of some type and I do not know where the rotor is placed for caliper alignment yet

If you do need a spacer, make it the correct diameter for the stock seal, and you solve two problems.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

taxpyer

Perfect,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, thanks for the link. :!:  );b(

Quote from: "Carnut"My friend Roger (r26ford here) has some info on Econoline disc brakes here.

it's about putting discs on econoline spindles, not Maverick, but just thought I would throw it out there.

What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Carnut"My friend Roger (r26ford here) has some info on Econoline disc brakes here.

I have that brake info and located an Econoline guy that can  CNC a pair of caliper brackets.  Although I have not located the proper wheel stud to replace the OE Econoline wheel stud

the Maverick brake rotor bolt on seems simple enough
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

chimp koose

I would like to know who makes a tube axle to fit econoline spindles. I checked speedway today and I couldnt find any that said they fit the econoline. I have these spindles and would like to use them on my model T.

taxpyer

That's the car and setup I have but with the drum brakes on it,,,,,,,,,, :oops:  talked to a guy last year at a car thing and he said he had just threaded the spindle abit further and literally slipped on a GM hub and rotor....... :roll:  I'll try to see if I still have his number...........
:?

Quote from: "chimp koose"I would like to know who makes a tube axle to fit econoline spindles. I checked speedway today and I couldnt find any that said they fit the econoline. I have these spindles and would like to use them on my model T.
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "chimp koose"I would like to know who makes a tube axle to fit econoline spindles. I checked speedway today and I couldnt find any that said they fit the econoline. I have these spindles and would like to use them on my model T.

You may need to have an axle built... Econoline spindles are some waht obsolete ,  so I guess the new parts have dried up a bit.

I need a 5 on 4.5 inch wheel pattern , so the maverick rotor is a good match as is the Mingle conversion
Tony

enjenjo

http://shop.wintecfabrication.com/product.sc;jsessionid=F5275D1427F4FC5B176F24D7A911986A.qscstrfrnt02?productId=40&categoryId=2

http://www.rjays.com/Superbell/SB_front_axles.htm
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

Thanks enjenjo, the T is a coupe and will weigh about 300lbs more than the wintec axle is rated for ,it is also about 4" too wide. What is the difference between 39-48 spindles and the econoline ones ? Is there a way to modify my econoline spindles to fit a 39-48 axle? Is it just the distance between the bushings or pin dia.?I have a full machine shop at my disposal to correct the difference. I would like to run a tube axle, 4bar and coil overs.The tubing bender at work has a rather large radius die 8"?  and I dont know if it has the power to bend 2x.250 wall DOM tubing.I once calculated the tire size and wheel offset to get ZERO scrub radius and tires centered side to side in the fenders,it required 46" between pins. If I pull down posters on the garage wall I can probably find the diagram for the axle.

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "chimp koose"What is the difference between 39-48 spindles and the econoline ones ? Is there a way to modify my econoline spindles to fit a 39-48 axle? Is it just the distance between the bushings or pin dia.?

I once calculated the tire size and wheel offset to get ZERO scrub radius and tires centered side to side in the fenders,it required 46" between pins. If I pull down posters on the garage wall I can probably find the diagram for the axle.

Here's some info I have:

'64-'68 Econoline Spindle has a 2.250" Boss length  and .742" Kingpin size.

'37-'48 Ford spindle has a 2.375" Boss length and .813" Kingpin size.

'49-'54 Chevy spindle has a 2.125" Boss length and .867" Kingpin size.

Total Performance (Wallingford,CT) used to offer a 5/16" wall tube axle with 4" drop ductile iron ends.   ...It had a 46" c-c length for the kingpin bosses, and accepted Econoline spindles.  

Total Performance was absorbed by Speedway, but I don't know if Speedway bought out Total's inventory, or if they still offer the same item.  ....It carried Totals part number as # TP23T844 (plain) or # TP23T844C (Chrome).   .....It was described as accepting Total Performance spindles, which utilized Econoline kingpin kits.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

chimp koose

Thank you Bruce! I will have to ream .070 out of the pin bushing holes or make my own bushings , then face .060 off each inner face on the spindle.That would make them compatible.

Crosley.In.AZ

I searched the Speedway site for Econoline brake parts, i found nothing.  One item mentioned Econoline spindles that were offered by Performance T bucket that were no longer available

Saturday (yesterday) I traveled to a Carquest store that has some old time parts guys..  got the book out and we located a wheel stud that is the proper diameter at the knurling for the Econoline hubs.  It is also longer, with 1/2 x 20 threads.

I also checked on the bearings and seals for the Maverick brake  rotor conversion that Wayne cyphered out.  All parts are available.

Two levels of bearings, although he could not tell me if one was chinese and the other brand  japan  or  where they may be produced. His comment was ; ' till they are in front of me with a manufacture listed on the box, you can not be sure  where they may be from"

As an example on the  Timken  Set 2 bearings...  lower level brand = 4.50 , the upper level brand was 10.00 (9.99)

:shock:
Tony

wayne petty

sorry to kick this back to the top... but i ran across the  SKF automotive and heavy duty truck and tractor bearing and seal catalogs,  spec guides and interchanges...

http://www.vsm.skf.com/en-US/Catalog/Publications.aspx

perhaps fat cat or frank could grab the links from the first page  and this one  and stick them in the tech section...

or is there a link section.?????

Crosley.In.AZ

an update on Econoline spindle disc brakes:

I had some caliper brackets CNC  cut by Steve at Industrial Chassis in PHX.

I took my crude template to Steve and he corrected some of the angles for caliper location...  cut 4 brackets for me

I need to finish fit the caliper opening , Steve left extra material for the caliper fitment.  Then , Set up the brakes and mark the caliper mount pin locations.
Tony