Econoline and Ford F-100 truck brake questions.

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, August 19, 2010, 11:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne petty

i think the B2 and B6 are SKF numbers as i recall....    so one would have to say to the parts cluk.. do you have any SKF B2 wheel bearings.. or B6

here is a BCA /NTN  tapered roller bearing by size chart.. 31 pages... with the NTN bearing SET numbers on the last page..
everybody uses different set numbers .. so be careful

http://www.ntnamerica.com/pdf/A1000/2010/TaperedRollerBearings.pdf

here is the full range of bearing and seal catalogs and info from NTN america... warning.. there is a LOT of info... and i don't want you to loose your bearings looking at it...    sort of bearing overload...   so to keep your bearings aligned...  here is the link to keep you rolling along...

http://www.ntnamerica.com/catalogs.htm

i am still looking around for the SKF tapered roller bearing catalog section...

Crosley.In.AZ

I do not have bearing catalogs or books.  thanks for the work wayne and enjenjo
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

wayne petty

timken bearing catalogs.

http://www.timken.com/en-us/products/pages/catalogs.aspx

the seal catalogs are at the lower right corner of the above link...

you might next time you are at a real parts wholesale store... WD... or Jobber...  ask if they have a copy of national seals catalog #515... they come in handy... they are the dimensions catalog..   some conventional bearing providers  will have one of the seals  specifications catalogs.. so you can find seals that are not listed in an automotive catalog..

Crosley.In.AZ

I must step back and admit I goof'd - forgot - did not pay attention.

I chased down a box of parts from my disc brake conversion on my 62 Falcon..  Carquest Bravo label bearing box with number B-A13 on it, another with BA12 on it.  Only the race remains since I used new rotors with races installed.

I will need to check on B2 nd B6 sets  at Carquest ..  I find no listing in online catalogs yet

took a measurment of the Econoline spindle  spud . About 1.250 on the large section , .750 on the small end near threads
Tony

wayne petty

this might help...  i really need to put together the upper chart.. with basic cone bore ID... and  cup OD... so when somebody walks in.. and you cannot read the numbers but can get a measurement..  you are there..

and this..   had to cut and paste a bit to get this on one image...

Crosley.In.AZ

thanks Wayne,

i will dew some more checking when I get home from work this evening..
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

I ran out of time this evening as I repaired a broken  exhaust  header.

I want to remove the disc rotor off my Falcon and size up stuff on the Econoline spindle
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

OK... removed the rotor off the Falcon did some measuring of all the parts.

the post by wayne with  timken  set 2  and set 6 appear to have the numbers as enjenjo mentioned.

set 2 = .750 bore as the econoline spindle , cup size OD = 1.781 as the maverick rotor

set 6 = 1.250 bore as the econoline spindle. cup size is 2.328- 330 which is the maverick rotor OD cup size needed

the seal area size on econoline is 1.750 ... on the falcon spindle the seal area is 1.938 - 940 ... Obviously the seal needs to fit the maverick rotor  hole diameter which of course I forgot to measure

if i chase the correct seal down , looks good so far.

as usual good job.....thanks guys
Tony

wayne petty

ah... i can probably reverse engineer it... but a good measurement is better...

what year mavrick if you know...

i  will have you the seal number info before 8 tomorrow morning...

just have to look up both applications.. see what the bore size is and the shaft on the other....

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "wayne petty"ah... i can probably reverse engineer it... but a good measurement is better...

what year mavrick if you know...

i  will have you the seal number info before 8 tomorrow morning...

just have to look up both applications.. see what the bore size is and the shaft on the other....

it is a flange type seal  on the maverick rotor.  Can not get at the OD measurement with out seal removal.

Rotor is for a 75 maverick with manual disc brakes.  Common rotor app for like Granada and others  as I recall.  Internet search turns up stuff on the rotor as Granada and other similar ford products of the era.

8)
Tony

wayne petty

looks  like you might be able to use the standard Econoline seal , Tinken 7834

but as its a special shape its not shown as a standard design...

except for the price... at az   probably made in USA...

Timken/Wheel Seal - Front
Part Number: 7834
Price:$29.99
but rock auto shows them for 10 bucks..???
most others show it for 12 to 14 bucks.. must be do to the special order at az.. but it looks like national also sells that number...

99% of seals have a part number on them...  tiny.. itsy bitsy.. but almost always marked...

Crosley.In.AZ

Econoline  seal is odd shape.. what looked like a crusty rubber dust seal is metal ,  I soaked the hub in solvent a while.  wire brush clean up indicates CR 17390.

In the list posted looks like 40494s  seal would a possible fit.  Design looks like the old GM rotor seal used for decades... that seal seems to be hard to find =  I did an internet search.

the Timken 450494 seal looks like a better item, available and 10 bucks or less online
Tony

wayne petty

17390 C-R ..................................... 7834
or
17392 C-R ..................................... 7834

oh.. and it does look like is used in gm and a bunch of other applications..  just for humor... but they seem to all cross ...

514251 C-R ................................... 7834

C1UU1190A FORD ......................... 7834

C3UA1190A FORD ......................... 7834

15527590 GM ............................... 7834

29068 DELCO ................................ 7834

46318 VICTOR ............................... 7834

A46896 L&S .................................. 7834

taxpyer

You guys are incredible,,,,,,,,,,, :wink:  this should be posted in the tech section for future reference,,,,,,, thumbs up for this one. 8)
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

Crosley.In.AZ

Wayne and enjenjo are the two with the knowledge...  Wayne did lots of digging.

At 5am this morning I was out measuring the depth of the hubs.  

The econoline hub is about .300 deeper than the Maverick hub area where the bearings seat.

The econoline spindle is about .300  longer than the Maverick spindle = a matching amount.

May need to be a spacer of some type and I do not know where the rotor is placed for caliper alignment yet
Tony