What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I washed 3 vehicles, serviced 3 motorcycles and winterized the lawn mower and weed eater. It was a pretty good day for December.
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

Listing more stuff on ebay. Geez, where is all this stuff coming from?

Tony, I'll have to get some pix of my friends' Austin. It's got a V8, but can't remember if it's Mopar or Chevy (I think Chevy), 5 speed and huge tires inside the fenders. No back seat.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

WZ JUNK

I worked on the outside furnace project today.  It is going well and I should finish up with it and install it this week.  I bought the duct work on Saturday and the metal for the outside shell on Friday.  It will be the same colors and material that is on the outside of my shop.

Everything is taking much longer to do than it did just a few years ago.  

I sure like my new plasma cutter.  It has made fabricating easier and better.

I am anxious to get on to a car project.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

bucketmouth

Rubbing the roadster back for some fresh coats of primer. So exciting....not.
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.

WZ JUNK

Outside wood furnace is progressing.  I have it covered in sheetmetal to match the shop.  I will make the legs and feet next and then do some electrical wiring before it goes outside to its pad.  Maybe it will be operational next week.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

idrivejunk

Found this on the front of the house... oh boy. I'm convinced by the tragectory that it was a stray. It only went through the first sheet of glass but I sure can't find what did it.

Matt

Beck

Quote from: "idrivejunk"Found this on the front of the house... oh boy. I'm convinced by the tragectory that it was a stray. It only went through the first sheet of glass but I sure can't find what did it.
Did I hear you say you were not getting along with the neighbors across the street?

Odd that the projectile wasn't there. Attempted break in with a rod?

Beck

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Outside wood furnace is progressing.  I have it covered in sheetmetal to match the shop. John

What stops the paint from burning off? Is there that much insulation in the burner?

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Beck"
Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Outside wood furnace is progressing.  I have it covered in sheetmetal to match the shop. John

What stops the paint from burning off? Is there that much insulation in the burner?

The fire box is in the center.  Then there is an air plenum surrounding it , where the air is circulated and heated.  The metal plenum box is covered in insulation, and then the outside sheet metal, that you see in the picture.  There are two inches of foil back insulation in the sidewalls and four inches on the top.  The old boiler furnace, that I am replacing, would heat the shop and have snow accumulate on the top because of this high quality insulation.

As a side note, this furnace will take a 5 long stick of wood.  I will not use pieces that long, but I could.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "idrivejunk"
Quote from: "Crosley"gave the ol 1959 Triumph some attention today.  Rolled it into the yard.  Blew off and out a  large amount of dirt n dust.

I am thinking : single seat in rear, roll cage, tube chassis with front axle out in front of the car, large tyres half tucked in the body

Too many doors for drags... Jeep frame it? Four big not huge tires, low center of gravity, alter wheel openings to jive, and go freak people out at autocross events!

extra doors make entry & exit easier
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

Quote from: "Crosley"extra doors make entry & exit easier

My ideas do come wrapped in opinion.
Matt

Ohio Blue Tip

Stove looks real good John.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

sirstude

Looks good John.  

There is an outfit here in town that sells an outdoor furnace, might be what you started with.  The are 8 feet tall or so, and covered with tin like yours.  2 big heating pipes coming out.  Just have driven by, never stopped to look.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

idrivejunk

Quote from: "Beck"Did I hear you say you were not getting along with the neighbors across the street? Odd that the projectile wasn't there. Attempted break in with a rod?

No. I have not spoken to anyone from across the street. Next door is a friend, two doors down is an irresponsible dog owner to whom I have complained politely to and been smart-mouthed by recently. Other side of the street, I know no one. Directly across is a very annoying irresponsible dog owner with whom police have visited, presumably about that issue.

A stick inserted through the two holes indicates a tragectory (if it was a projectile) that points over and between rooftops across the street. Two shiny Pontiacs sitting out front are unharmed. These factors along with failed penetration says stray, to me. However its also consistent with a rod stab. I may dig around in the leaf litter some more, but come to think of it...

birds fly into that window with a "bonk!" sound heard inside. Amazingly often. Barn swallows chose my porch and it took about a decade to run em off. Thats a valid scenario BUT the bird ballistics and perfectly round hole do not support that theory.

My first reaction was to find the BB. No dice. The thought of attempted break in makes me think I should show the hole to someone familiar with popular techniques. Could be they made one noise and didn't want to go for two. Motion sensor for the porch light is in order I guess. Joke's on them if they get in, I only own garbage and theres a mess of salvaged car parts to stumble over piled behind that window.

Not getting too excited because I'm fairly certain it wasn't an aimed centerfire cartridge that did this. Seems like if it was a break-in attempt with a rod they would have yanked the screen first and probably took a second swing. I dunno. Better idea than I had though. If anybody has a viable theory I'm listening. It is baffling. Not scary now but if I think on it long enough paranoia will set in, haha.
Matt

58 Yeoman

I'd let the cops know about your window. If it was a stray, someone else may have the same problem with broken windows.  We've had many birds hit our dining room window hard enough that I guess it breaks their necks and they die, or hit it hard enough that it stuns them and they fall onto the porch. They've never broken a window, though.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil