1966 Nova Build

Started by Glen, May 24, 2010, 10:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papastoyss

Quote from: "Crosley"You are gettin there.  :D

I read a turbo Mustang on 275 radials ran a 4.70  at 160 something MPH  over the weekend.  that sure is flying

An 8.60 in the quarter is faster than my 1/8 mile in my Falcon ...  but then , I get more track time than faster cars.  :shock:
My L/gas VW powered Fiat ran 7.Os eighth mile in 1979 & we thought we were badazzz!!! I can't imagine running the times Glen is running.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

Glen

I hate to bump this thread....but I wanted to get this video in on the build pages.  We run again this Saturday and I have hopes for a quicker ET....I moved the Instant Center back a little and increased my antisquat percent.......depends on track conditions though.

you have probably already seen this on another post:  7.25@193 MPH

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Glen"I hate to bump this thread....but I wanted to get this video in on the build pages.  We run again this Saturday and I have hopes for a quicker ET....I moved the Instant Center back a little and increased my antisquat percent.......depends on track conditions though.

Interesting, I thought the races were cancelled due to weather (winds)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Glen

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "Glen"I hate to bump this thread....but I wanted to get this video in on the build pages.  We run again this Saturday and I have hopes for a quicker ET....I moved the Instant Center back a little and increased my antisquat percent.......depends on track conditions though.

Interesting, I thought the races were cancelled due to weather (winds)

ya, that was the pass at the NHRA race....just wanted to show some success on this build thread.  I will be there this coming Saturday the 3rd....you should be there too.  hint/hint.

purplepickup

Awesome video Glen! What a rush I'll bet.    I like how you drive with one hand with the front wheels barely touching at almost 200mph. :D  Excellent car!
George

Mikej

I enjoy your post. Thanks for taking the time to do it. The camera placement was interesting on the video. I would think that would help with the set-up...... just carrying the tire the whole run.

Glen

I made some chassis changes over the summer months.  I shortened the arms on the Anti Roll bar.  Made a new wheelie bar that is 14" longer so it touches down softer.  I also sent my front struts back to Kinetic engineering for modification.  The struts are extremely tight and don't drop as far.  You will notice a much smoother launch, less twist in the chassis and less walking left and right in the first 200 feet.  this is the same tune up that was in the car last year.  Hopefully I can start putting some power in it earlier.

compare it to video link above.

Crosley.In.AZ

Holy sheet, car is much straighter  & it was not crazy out a line before.

your hat n stuff on the floor show the force of the chutes coming out  that cameras do not show since they are solid mounted.  Although you can see your weight shift forward too.

kool stuff.  wish I was 20 yrs younger, I'd be in the middle of this
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

That looked good, Glen. Do you expect to be able to use full power within a fraction of a second on launch?
TEAM SMART

Glen

I don't  know what my limitation will be, right now I pull 11 degrees of timing and it ramps back in by half track to 36 degrees.

I will keep reducing the amount until it the 60 fts. slow down.  different track condtions will factor in.  

In the MSD power grid, you can build your own timing curve based on time from the release of the transbrake button.  Add in Driveshaft RPM datalog, and the time slip and maybe we can run a good time in February when the NHRA is back.

_Drewfus_

Hi Glen,
its been a while since I've checked in on this thread, but ever so glad I did. Your development of the car is great to see, am interested to see where you found to be successful regarding your rear bar setup, with the previously referenced IC /CoG.
the videos are inspiring and am amazed the relative calmness and control at the top end, with 3/4 of the pass your hanging onto the chute release.
Again, congrats on what you've acheived, and look forward to you continuing to zero in on making the car perform to its absolute best.
Cheers,
Drewfus
\"Dear God,
help me be the MAN that my dog thinks I am.......\"

Glen

I didn't change the four link from the previous NHRA pass posted above.  I didn't want to change too many things at one time.

The 4 link is at 59" on a 110" WB at 6.6" high. 72% AS

My plan this weekend was to qualify then move the bottom bar down one hole on the axle.  That crosses into new territory because everyone says to make sure the bottom bar is slightly pointed down.  I have learned over the past 6 months that is old thinking and with newer chassis design people are doing whatever works.

If I move the bottom bar down one hole it would move the IC back to 55" and 7.75 high, more importantly a 95% antisquat.

I just wanted to try it and see what it does????

unfortunately Saturday I found a pinhole leak in the intercooler so we didn't get a chance to try it.    It was dripping inside the intercooler so that would put water in the motor.  (water injection?  I didn't know I had it) we did qualify with a 7.36 before finding the leak.

I also took another pulley with me that would have made 5 more lbs. of boost at 7500 RPM.  I converted the belts and pulleys to 14mm ......nobody makes a 14mm pulley with flanges and I don't run an idler pulley so I made flanges for the 14mm pulley and bolted them on just like an 8mm.

Glen

I hooked up my driveshaft RPM sensor last week too.  I cant wait to learn about that.  That will tell me if my launch RPM and wheel speed is too low or too high.

I have two good datalogs to review.

kb426

Glen , are the flanges on the pulleys for safety factor or is there flexing issues? I realize if a belt leaves a body car it's bad. The 14mm belt on an alky car when I quit was good for about 15 runs. That was with 36 lbs. of boost. I'm sure you have a fraction of the parasitic drag but I just wanted to mention in case you haven't determined the replacement lifecycle of the belts.
TEAM SMART

Glen

The prochargers do not use a tensioner so without a flange on one of the pulleys you will roll the belt off one end or the other of the pulley.

the upper pulley of an 8mm comes with a flange on each side.