Update

Started by flamefink, April 04, 2009, 12:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flamefink

Hey everyone. As usual, its been so long since I've posted on here that I almost feel I should do a new intro.

I'm still occaisionally working on my 48 F1 when time and patience permitt. I've finally reached the point on the project that I need to make some serious final decisions.

The major one being what trans to run. I did some searches here on the RRT as well as on the net in general and don't like the info I've gathered. My goal for this truck was to mostly drive daily in the summer, do the long hauls to the national shows and pull the race car to the track a couple times a month all while getting decent gas milage. The last two parts of that goal just don't seem to go together "cheaply".

My original plan was to run a very mild/almost stock SBC, a basic rebuilt 700R and a 3.50 geared 9". Most posts I've read so far don't recomend the 700R pulling a car trailer. Many have given "safe" weights to pull with the 700R but to tell the complete truth I don't really know how much I'm going to be pulling because the car isn't done yet.

I have a TH400 that could use a rebuild and its the path I've been seriously leaning toward. The only things that keeps pulling me back back to the 700R is the improved gas milage. The idea of a gearvendors sounds like the simple solution but the price tag does not.

The 4L80E also looks like a good path to take but looks complicated to run with a carb and also is expensive in the long run.

If you've read this far through my long winded rambling, as always, constructive criticism, do's, don'ts, and opinions are always welcome.

Brett
Do you need a tetanus shot to ride in that thing?

wayne petty

going to tow....  4L80e...   or go with the TH400... with tons of coolers...

unless you get something built by tonys company...

there are also allison transmissions...   that will bolt up..  there are a bunch of people putting those in their mid sized tow rigs... with big trailers

if you are going to do long distance tows with a small block...  you might look into a set of the truck heads with the 3/8" exhaust stems..  sodium filled valves...  work great with high temp seats...  their may be other options also...  an air fuel ratio meter is totally necessary to prevent melt downs...

one more thing...

GOT BRAKES???????????   enough to stop the trailer???? without overheating???

phat rat

I know most will disagree with this. But I had an 85 Suburban with a stock 4L60/700R4 and pulled my car trailer all over with it. But towing with a stock trans in OD isn't recommended. They can however be built to tow in OD if you get a guy who knows what to do. It doesn't always mean you have a better built trans just because it's from someone who does a lot of national advertising. For example I have a 700R in my cpe last year after about 45,000 mi on it my converter went bad . As long as the trans was out I had a local trans guy go thru it. The difference in the way it was new and now is incredible. He did a much better job than the bigger, at the time, name company. It sounds as though the biggest percentage of use for this would be without a trailer. The 700R will deliver great mileage for you and tow the few times you want it to.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

Well, here's my take. I've towed many miles with a 700R4 with a trailer in the 6000 to 8000 lb range with no problems. Just don't tow in overdrive. I have also towed many miles with a 351W and an AOD without any problems, even using overdrive. This is just my experience.

Years ago I adapted a BW overdrive to a 400 turbo. It cost about $500 at the time using new parts, but worked good.

You can find used Gear Vendors on E Bay, they are nearly bullet proof.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

flamefink

Thanks guys for the info and feed back.

I've been reading a lot of information and opinions on transmissions since I first started building this truck. It seems that I keep hearing the same thing said. One or two say the only way to go is a 4L80e or a 400 and everyone else agrees that the light to moderate towing can be done with a 700R/4L60 if you're careful. Hearing this from people I trust reassures me that this is really the route I want to go.

I mean no offense to those who swear by the 4L80 but most won't recognize that this is a long haul street rod first and a short distance tow rig second. Also, I will only be towwing the race car in good weather and most likely only one weekend a month if I'm lucky to have that much time off. I know the 4L80 will do everything the 700R will do and more, but from the looks of it by the time I'm done with rebuild and controllers I'll have more in the trans than I will in the whole chassis. I'd really like to drive it this year instead of saving and waiting for that right deal on one to come around.

Thanks again for the info. This should get me back on track to getting this thing done.
Do you need a tetanus shot to ride in that thing?

Danimal

Now get those fenders on it and take some pictures!