Rectantular hole - rocker switches

Started by Jokester, March 28, 2009, 03:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jokester

Hi all,

I'm using rectangular rocker switches on my power windows and some other stuff.  I got the holes cut as tight as I could, but the switches still move about a bit in the dash.  Is there any way to snug them up so they don't move or rattle.  I thought about wrapping a tie strap around them, or maybe a lasso made of string or cord that I could pull tight.  Maybe a bead of RTV around the edge inside the dash would do it.  I don't know.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

thanks.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

MrMopar64

When I did mine I had the same problem..... I put a dab of RTV on the back side and they are fine
I looked into buying the die at first but wasn't worth the money for a few holes

Good Luck
MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

crdnblu

OK, don't scoff........Here's a perfect application for a bit of duct tape, as needed, underneath, around the "ears" that hold the switches in.  Or, sometimes, the panel that the switches are mounted to is too thin, so a layer of duct tape on the the under-surface "thickens" the panel to snug up the switch mounting.

The Paisano

The plastic tabs on the back of the switch that hold tension on the mounting plate just needs to be tighten up a bit against the mounting plate.Wedge a small piece of something like a small roll pinto tighten it up.
will come out clean looking.You can always remove it if you need to do repairs.
Paisano

enjenjo

Quote from: "The Paisano"The plastic tabs on the back of the switch that hold tension on the mounting plate just needs to be tighten up a bit against the mounting plate.Wedge a small piece of something like a small roll pinto tighten it up.
will come out clean looking.You can always remove it if you need to do repairs.

A peice of rubber Oring would be ideal for that.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Jokester

Frank, you are 2 hours too late, but you have the right answer.  

I bought two O-rings which tightened up the power window switches nicely.  Then came the problem of the 4 switch group in the center of the dash.  I found a square (cross section) o-ring in my misc. drawer.  It looks like a gasket from a screw on filter, about 3" across.  I stretched it around the whole group and now it stays in place too.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

wvcab

a nibbling tool makes a real nice rectangular hole... just a thought

47convert

Quote from: "wvcab"a nibbling tool makes a real nice rectangular hole... just a thought

Anyone know where to buy one of these? I'm talking about the kind that are like a small pair of pliers and made just for this type of deal. You drill a small hole and these pliers take tiny little bites untill you get just the shape you need. They're perfect for cutting a little notch on top (or wherever you need it) to stop switches from turning in a round hole etc.

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "wvcab"a nibbling tool makes a real nice rectangular hole... just a thought

I've got one of those, also, but can't remember where I got it.  I've had it for years.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

wvcab

Quote from: "47convert"

Anyone know where to buy one of these? I'm talking about the kind that are like a small pair of pliers and made just for this type of deal. You drill a small hole and these pliers take tiny little bites untill you get just the shape you need. They're perfect for cutting a little notch on top (or wherever you need it) to stop switches from turning in a round hole etc.

i bought mine at a electronics supplier, in there tool section, i believe it was norvac electronics.

47convert

Great. The Harbor freight ones are exactly what I was looking for. Thanx.