The Roofus Special

Started by Flipper, March 25, 2009, 08:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unklian

Flipper: did you save any of the original Jag rear suspension arms ?

jaybee

Wayne, if I understand the arrangement you've drawn I think what you actually end up with is a zero roll stiffness suspension.  People have experimented with them for years in sports car club-level racing and the like but as far as I know it has never seen much application.  All the roll stiffness either comes at the other end of the chassis or through the antiroll bar.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

wayne petty

Quote from: "jaybee"Wayne, if I understand the arrangement you've drawn I think what you actually end up with is a zero roll stiffness suspension.  People have experimented with them for years in sports car club-level racing and the like but as far as I know it has never seen much application.  All the roll stiffness either comes at the other end of the chassis or through the antiroll bar.

my idea was to be able to fit all the suspension inside the rear of the body... out of sight... with only the lower rods sticking out of the side of the car..

as for the roll center...  i know it will need some kind of anti sway bar.. something narrow like off the front of a ranger 4x4 pick up..   it is already flattened and drilled.. so rods to the rear end would do...

the roll center i was thinking of is the point where the body swings from in a corner...   if the center point is above the center of gravity..  the car will body will try to lean into the turn...    if it is below the center of gravity.. the car will lean out in a turn...

the point is moot anyway...

Bib_Overalls

An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Flipper

Quote from: "unklian"Flipper: did you save any of the original Jag rear suspension arms ?

Yes.  I have them.  The uppers are tube links with rubber bushings on each end.  The lowers are leaf springs.

It was used kinda like a quarter eliptic, but the whole spring was there.

Flipper

So, what are the opinions on building a car without a traditional style frame under it?

Too early in the build to pass judgement?  

Is this thing just too far out there?

There will be lots more angles installed before the plating begins.  Some of the plating will probably be bead rolled for even more strength (and style).

enjenjo

I think if it was me, I would skin the inside of your truss with 16 ga. steel. Then it would be strong enough to fasten suspension points to. I would plug weld it about every two inches.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Flipper

Quote from: "enjenjo"I think if it was me, I would skin the inside of your truss with 16 ga. steel. Then it would be strong enough to fasten suspension points to. I would plug weld it about every two inches.

Yep, I have a sheet of 16 gauge for skinning the trusses.  And some 1/8 sheet for gusseting the higher stressed points.

Mac

Still following this thread with great interest; especially now with talk turning to space frames.
I'm cultivating a scheme to build a vintage looking, 3 wheel "cyclecar" using the engine and rear drive from a big displacement, water cooled, shaft drive donorcycle.

Flipper, I gotta say your my kinda guy. Doing a scratch build -and a car like this- with stuff on hand and minimal cost.
And your shop has that crap-everywhere-mark-of-genius-at-work thing goin on too! :mrgreen:
Who\'s yer Data?

enjenjo

QuoteAnd your shop has that crap-everywhere-mark-of-genius-at-work thing goin on too!

I guess that makes me an Einstein.

Mac

Quote from: "enjenjo"
QuoteAnd your shop has that crap-everywhere-mark-of-genius-at-work thing goin on too!

I must confess, you came to mind also when I typed that comment.

My shop is a little "cluttered", too. And, like Albert, I failed algebra. Gee, do you suppose........ naw forget it.
Who\'s yer Data?

Jbird

I'm thinking more like a beer stein.

You'll be amazed at how much strength the welded on skin will add to your structure. I'm collecting parts for a similar project. Boxes? boxes? we don't need no stinkin boxes. I like it.  Jbird
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

unklian

Was there ever any doubt ?

enjenjo

Quote from: "unklian"

Was there ever any doubt ?

So since I am in the midst of a major cleanup, will that make me dumber?

Bruce Dorsi

Yeah, but you're Frank Einstein --- Albert was the genius! ...He was also shorter and better looking, without the pins through his neck!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!