The Roofus Special

Started by Flipper, March 25, 2009, 08:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

Might be fun trying to take it to an "all import" car show, too..."see that?  Says it's a Jag right there."
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Flipper

It really didn't take long to harvest the jag pieces.  A small generator and a sawsall helped.

another roof.

now for the floor and firewall

Flipper

Guess what this was.

I had heard stories about it, but had never seen it until now.

it is a 1958 Jaguar XK150S that my dad parted out in 1962 ....and then pushed into a ditch and covered with dirt (trying to control errosion).  Sometime since then, it was washed back out and moved about 100 ft from where it was planted.  

Flipper

This is what I want to graft into Roofus.  The trans tunnel and the stock jag brake and clutch pedals.

Using the jag tunnel means the deep engine set-back is back.  I cut out the tube that was under the bell housing.

It looks more racecar to me.

The jag firewall has a whole lot of ugly that needs to be trimmed off.

It will wait until another weekend.  I had to go watch basketball (Go UK!)

39deluxe

I said Jag XK120 when I saw the crumples pile so I wasn't far off.

I didn't do anything today. My wife asked me what I was going to do today and I said nothing. She said that is what I did yesterday to which I replied "I know, I wasn't finished."

kb426

It sure would be nice if someone had a vat large enough to put the whole section in. It sure would make life easier for you. I've seen some Jag engines polished and dressed real nice. Is that part of the plan?
TEAM SMART

Flipper

Quote from: "kb426"It sure would be nice if someone had a vat large enough to put the whole section in. It sure would make life easier for you. I've seen some Jag engines polished and dressed real nice. Is that part of the plan?

Yep, the engine will be painted, polished and otherwise detailed to the best of my ability.

Flipper

I started trying to put the jag firewall inside of my boattail. Jag was at least a foot wider. A sawsall can fix that.

kinda reminds me of beef in a meat packing plant

Trim some more

Jag heater still fits :)

No telling how many times I removed and installed the floor and/or engine this past weekend. I quit counting after 15 or so times.

The pile of parts kept getting bigger and the floor/firewall got smaller.

I decided I need to lower the motor to get the floor to fit better. First I had to install a crossmember unter the motor.

Chassis spaced up 1.5" = motor lowered 1.5"

Flipper

Manifolds hit firewall now

...and the radiator and steering want to fight over the same spot

But the lower motor could allow a swoopier shape.

I just wasn't feeling it, so I cut off the cowl too.

Manifolds clear now

I got frustrated with the trans tunnel and moved to the front of the car.  I needed more beef to weld the front crossmember to.  1.5 x 1.5 angle attached with a ton of rosette welds.

I got tired of drilling holes, so I attacked the other pieces with a grinder.  Slots should function the same as holes.

Flipper

Then I fitted the front crossmember better and welded it in.

The I dug into the stack of cop car roll bars again and cut out two bends.

and made a sleeve from another piece of rollbar (cut a section out and made a smaller tube)

Firewall is pretty beefy now.  I'm not 100% sure the jag tunnel will be used or not.

Flipper

I was going to work on my car again this weekend, but......

.....mother nature gave me something else to do.

enjenjo

A lot of that going round.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Flipper

This tree is kicking my *.  ...but it is slowly making its way to the side of the road for the city to pick up.

rooster

Quote from: "enjenjo"A lot of that going round.

Got more twisters tonight Its bad in north st louis around airport, might give sister a call, shes in ucity if I recall. Not alot of info at this time.

ragdol

Flipper, you need a bigger wagon to make it go faster.