Lincoln Versailles 9" differential

Started by 32 Chevy, February 18, 2009, 08:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

32 Chevy

This afternoon I was driving on I-5 and saw a wrecker's flatbed with a lincoln versailles on the back. I followed 'em for a while, then lost 'em and by the time I caught up they were getting ready to put it in the crusher.

I talked them into giving me a day to identify the differential but they wouldnt let me get underneath. I took these pictures and it is definitely a disc brake rear but that's all I could see.

I dont even need this diff now but hate to see a rare part get crushed and they will sell it to me cheap if I want it ...but it has to be pulled tomorrow.

Can anyone confirm if it's a 9" from these pictures? Thanks!

wayne petty

this is a 9 inch rear end....

without reading the tag that is over one of the studs that hold the removable part to the housing ....

if its cheep... better do it if you can use it... if not sell it... there are a lot of people looking for those just for the rear disc brakes...

did you see the links i posted a while back...  about the 8.8 inch rear ends...

some of the articles had info on 9 inches also...

unklian

Are those brake parts available ?

Someone said they were not.

Charlie Chops 1940

Rotors are available but last I knew ya had to rebuild the calipers. The hoses are hard to find too. However there are alternative solutions considering the rear is the right width for our cars.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

wayne petty

the reason that most people like that rear end is it is narrow enough to fit under a lot of cars... without having to narrow it any at all.. and it came with 4.5 inch bolt circle rear disc brakes...  years earlier than they were available on other cars...

most of the parts for that are available...  if you are discussing the brake parts...  calipers, support hardware, pads, parking brake cables, rotors,  the only thing that might be hard to get is the caliper brackets..

late model mustangs have disc brakes available.. but those are on 8.8 inch rear ends... and the housing tubes on those have been known to be thinner...

the 9 inch is what most people want... ease of changing out the center section for another loaded one in 45 minutes... so you can go racing.. or on a long cruise.. with just a an hours work...

that rear end looks really rusty.. but it still might be worth it..

it might even have a posi unit..  some did...  it may have a 3.08 gear or a 3.25 ...  if you can get it for under 75 bucks... there should be a profit in it... even if you just put it on craigs list...

in fact... why not google prices for it...

heres a link..

http://www.mustangsplus.com/tech/versaill/index.htm

http://www.beachcitiesfalcons.com/Tech.htm

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/ssbca11018.html

WZ JUNK

I just sold one this last weekend for $200 complete with new calipers and rotors.  I do not like the brake system at all.  In fact the 54 Chevy I am working on has new brakes and rotors on it and I am replacing them with drum brakes.  The bake parts for these rear ends are getting very hard to find and they are expensive.  Their one advantage is the narrow width.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

dragrcr50

take the brakes out of the deal and it is a 200 dollar rear end for the size.  we use aftermarket weld on disc setups from speedway for 259 dollars and it makes a good rear end .  on ebay or craigslist they sell good
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

wayne petty

wow.. i checked the az web site....     110 each for reman calipers.. plus 60 for core. wow...

and 50 each for rotors...  that does push the price over the top......

i just thought that i would drop in the prices for those reading and thinking about them....

wow.. i see there is one more thing to think about... there are 3 brake hoses... that add up to 150 bucks...

so it would be almost 500 bucks to replace the brake parts to make it usable... plus any hard lines ..... then the gear set...

the only place one saves in in the width...    but maybe it might add up to be too much to fit into the wallet...

8.8 here we come...

32 Chevy

Thanks for the input. I'm going to get it even though it'll probably just be in my miscellaneous parts pile for a long time... Eventually someone I know will be looking for a 9" for their tri 5 chevy or whatever... And I hate to see rare car parts turned into plowshares.

Dave R.

The Paisano

Yeah,that's a 9 incher for sure.One quick way next time to find out wheather its a 9 inch or not is to look at the botton two studs on the pumpkin.Youl'l notice that that two 3/8 studs nuts won't come off with using a wrench.Most universals and regular sockets won't work well in there.The pumpkin well for the pinion gets in the way.On the tag,if it has the letter "L" in the middle of the ratio stamp,its a limited slip.
Paisano
Paisano

bigtim44

Go snag it,nothing wrong with having spare rearends in Inventory :D

41woodie

Decent rearends and they fit 35-40 Fords like they were made for them.  I used one in my 39 Std coupe back in the 80's and the brake parts were hard to find then.  Especially hard to find are the E-brake parts.
If you decide to use the rearend and take it apart be very careful with the parts many of the small parts are exclusive to that rearend and aren't available at all except from salvage.

Learpilot

What is the width ? Will 8" brakes fit ?   I know where one is near me the is cheap. It has been sitting out for years.
Thanks, Rick

Learpilot

Quote from: "Learpilot"What is the width ? Will 8" brakes fit ?   I know where one is near me the is cheap. It has been sitting out for years.
Thanks, Rick

I found the width is 58.5" and it has the same width spring perch as the 65-66 Mustang.

Rick

enjenjo

Quote from: "Learpilot"What is the width ? Will 8" brakes fit ?   I know where one is near me the is cheap. It has been sitting out for years.
Thanks, Rick

drum brakes fit, If you slot the mounting holes you can install the Ford Motorsports disc brake kit.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.