55 Poncho for sale locally

Started by Normspeed, February 15, 2009, 10:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Normspeed

I ran into a guy at the hardware store, when he saw my car he asked if i would be interested in a 55 Pontiac 4 door that needs lots of work.  Had to go take a look, the asking price is way low.  This one's stored in the open air, no motor or trans. The only rust is two spots in the front floor.  Has the pink slip.  Looks like Riviera or Wildcat rims, 4 of them.  Needs windshield and some side glass.  No one has been dancing on the roof...yet.  

If it were a 2 door I would already have it in my yard.  But, too many projects to take on another.  Hmmm wonder what DRD could do with this?  A very long vert?  shorten and chop?

DRD57

Too many doors for me.

I'd strip a bunch of cool trim off of it to use on other projects.

39deluxe

Out there  where you don't have road salt that would make a nice family car. An LS1 with overdrive automatic, air ride, A/C, and all of the power stuff would be nicer than any new car. Or you could chase down some doors off a 2 door and move the B pillar back. Remove that short pillar at the back of the rear door and weld up the rear door. Then a 2.5 inch chop would finish it off.

Tom

Charlie Chops 1940

Looks like a perfect candidate for the 4 dr to 2 dr conversion. There have been quite a few tech posts on the HAMB covering the job on 55-57 Chevys.   Same job.

Charlie[/img]
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

58 Yeoman

Just curious....what IS the price?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Normspeed

$300 but he might go for $200.  Somebody stop me!!!!

phat46

Quote from: "Normspeed"$300 but he might go for $200.  Somebody stop me!!!!

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:  E Bay baby!!!

58 Yeoman

Wish I was closer...that would make a great daily driver....
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Rayvyn

Here's a few things you can do to a 55 Poncho 4dr.
Don't bash `em too much...
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Normspeed

No, not bashing 4 doors, I just like coupes.  That flamed one is a beauty.  Makes me think again, $300 is not that much and I might just have room to store it...

Same guy has, I think he said, an early 70's Buick Invicta Convert (does that sound right?) with all the bells and whistles and power accessories.  Gee, there's my motor, tranny, and gizmos for the Poncho.

DrJ

Hot Rod Mechanix had a sketch pad how to shortening one of these ver Ponchos down to a two door convert/roadster. The trick is to only go about a foot ± down to about a 102-108" wheelbase, not an entire door length.
They als changed the windshield to a roadster looking item.
Maybe some one or I'll find the issue # later.
The frame "X" was turned into a "K" member in the cut, I remember that.
Also, the front door was used without altering it's lengthe and part of the rear door skin was grafted in to the '1/4 as needed.
I thought it would still need about a 3" section to look right though.

Grandadeo

Quote from: "Rayvyn"Here's a few things you can do to a 55 Poncho 4dr.

Hey it's Bryan.  HE'S ALIVE!!!

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "Grandadeo"
Quote from: "Rayvyn"Here's a few things you can do to a 55 Poncho 4dr.

Hey it's Bryan.  HE'S ALIVE!!!

Lee

That's yet to be confirmed.....  :?   :shock:  He's possibly just posting photo's :?:  :-}

Bob.................... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

phat rat

I can confirm he was driving, walking and talking in Oct. in Tampa
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Rayvyn

Quote from: "phat rat"I can confirm he was driving, walking and talking in Oct. in Tampa

Yep, i'm still alive, but I don't feel like it. I've been working 7/12's plus travel a week since early November, but since it's available I'm going to grab it while it lasts. I haven't put a mile on either the Poncho or the `30 since November.
I've been rode hard and put away wet, but I'm still breathing. (For the moment)... :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...