Radiator Shroud/Top Plate Question

Started by TheBreeze, February 12, 2009, 10:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBreeze

Hello, I am new to this forum, but not new to Streetrodding.  Last week, I bought a custom '54 Chevy BelAir, and am adding some more 'bling.'   Does anyone know where I can find a Chrome or Polished Aluminum radiator top plate or shroud? I've looked several hours on the Internet, but can't find a top plate.  I'm basically trying to cover up ugly. Thanks, Breezie

GPster

As neat as you have everything painted why don't you go with a "Troy Trapanier" style formed panel that goes from one side to the other. I enver get far enough for chromeon any of my project (0ne) but maybe something bent up in Stainless Steel. Welcome here, I'm sure someone smarter than me (I ?) will show up. GPster

TheBreeze

Thanks for the reply.  That is what I'm trying to find already made.  Attached is a pic of basically what I need.  It seems it would be simple to make for those with the proper equipment & knowledge.

enjenjo

It should be no problem for a local sheet metal shop to make you one in stainless, or aluminum. You can buy prepolished stainless from All Metals cut to your size.

http://www.allmetalsinc.com/?gclid=CNrak-2715gCFSXaDAodthRIdA
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

Welcome to the rrt.

I am currently building a 54 with a crossflow radiator.  I made my own cover out of fiberglass.  You really need that area covered and ideally you need to make the top of it seal off against the support that matches this location under the hood.  This will keep the air that comes in from the front going through the radiator and keep the hot air from the engine compartment from being pulled back around and in through the radiator.  It really does make a noticeable difference.

I would like to see more pictures of your car.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

TheBreeze

John, you're right about needing some type of cover.  I wish I could find one already made since I'm not handy with that type of thing.  I've posted a few pics of "Goldie."  Thanks.

WZ JUNK

Now thats a pretty wild ride.  Looks good.  Mine will appear nearly stock looking.  Does it have air ride suspension?

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

TheBreeze

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Now thats a pretty wild ride.  Looks good.  Mine will appear nearly stock looking.  Does it have air ride suspension?

John

John, thanks for the kudos.  No it is not bagged, but does have Air Shocks in the back so I can raise/lower it.  I order 4 more teeth for the grill this afternoon, so I'll have a total of 9.   :D Breezie

nzsimon

make it out of cardboard then take your cardboard one to a sheetmetal shop and get them to reproduce it in stainless steel

Then when people ask where you bought your neat cover from you can say " you can't buy them it is a one off " because it will be true

If yyou make one side perfect in the card then make the other side you can staple them together or tape them to make the pattern
Sometimes it is easier that way as you can make it a better fit

Cutting the cardboard is easy you can even cut the hole for the radiator cap and mark where you want all the fixing holes

I would go right to where the guards start on each side with a fold in the front and another in the rear
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

TheBreeze

Perfect idea! That will be my project for this weekend. Now, let's see if I can find someone in the one horse town who can do it.
Thanks.

Quote from: "nzsimon"make it out of cardboard then take your cardboard one to a sheetmetal shop and get them to reproduce it in stainless steel

Then when people ask where you bought your neat cover from you can say " you can't buy them it is a one off " because it will be true

If yyou make one side perfect in the card then make the other side you can staple them together or tape them to make the pattern
Sometimes it is easier that way as you can make it a better fit

Cutting the cardboard is easy you can even cut the hole for the radiator cap and mark where you want all the fixing holes

I would go right to where the guards start on each side with a fold in the front and another in the rear

nzsimon

Looking at your picture again I personally would think bigger

It would look very cool if the piece covered the whloe area in front of the radiator and was cut round the hood catch covereing all that fan etc

I have checked that site that was posted that sells the sheet cut to size and it is pretty cheap for 20 gauge cut to size with rudimentary hand tools and a bit of elbow grease I reckon you could make a very nice piece for that area

It would only need a simple shallow fold here and there which you could do with some timber and clamps

I use a thin disc in the angle grinder to cut it, polishing I only use wet and dry sandpaper wound round a grinding thing in the drill to get as good as I can then I buff in a bench grinder the results are very good and I constantly get asked where I bought something from

Its all just time and worth it in the end
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true