Some people

Started by enjenjo, February 10, 2009, 06:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Yesterday I went up to the parts store to pick up some parts. While I was being waited on, an old guy came in, and said he needed a piece of hose that would fit over a brake line, and a couple clamps. This was for his 97 Ford F truck. The counter guy asked him what he was doing, and he said there was a hole rusted in a brake line, so he was going to cut the line where it was leaking, slip the hose on it, and clamp it into place. :shock:

I told him I thought that was a bit dangerous, and he told me he was experienced in fixing cars, and had fixed more cars than I had seen. I told him there was no use arguing with a pig, because he wouldn't listen, and you both got covered in doo doo. I told the counter guy I thought I had bought some of the cars the old guy worked on. :roll:

The counter guy talked him into a compression fitting, still not right, but better than hose.

When I was walking out, I asked what color his truck was. He said "green, why?" I told him I was going to keep an eye on green Ford trucks.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

unklian

:shock:

A little knowledge is dangerous.
Very little knowledge is very dangerous.   :roll:

Leon

The way it usually works, when he kills someone because of his "knowledgeable" repair, he'll walk away without a scratch.

UGLY OLDS

I thought Ohio had annual vehicle inspections ???  That would pass???    :shock:

Bob........ :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

58 Yeoman

Way back when, when I used to fix up VW Bugs, I had one come in with a long section of air hose connecting the brake line that ran inside the car, along the center tunnel.  They were known for rusting in that area.  The previous owner must've figured that the hose wouldn't rust.... :shock:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

57larry

that's funny and yet it ain't

Crosley.In.AZ

over the years I have learned some folks do not take kindly to being told what they want to do is wrong ,  even if it is dangerous.

the idiot  telling you he has worked on more cars than you have seen , is funny.

In a NAPA store several years ago ... an older fellow walked in and asked for a attachment to hook a garden hose to his car's a/c lines.  This got my attention and the parts guy's too.

Then the old guy says :  "every body tells me I need to flush the a/c  system  out" ...  I laughed so hard I almost fell down.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

butch27

Frank: You are too much. LOL  The compression fitting isn't any better.

purplepickup

Yeah, compression fittings or rubber hose don't work.  Ya gotta use Gorilla tape and tie wraps. 8)

I did use a quick fix once just to get home.   I broke the line completely,  flattened and folded the end a few times then clamped the folded end with vise grips.  One brake didn't work but it held enough pressure to get me home kinda safely. :roll:
George

enjenjo

Quote from: "purplepickup"Yeah, compression fittings or rubber hose don't work.  Ya gotta use Gorilla tape and tie wraps. 8)

I did use a quick fix once just to get home.   I broke the line completely,  flattened and folded the end a few times then clamped the folded end with vise grips.  One brake didn't work but it held enough pressure to get me home kinda safely. :roll:

The red GMC truck I have, I bought from my brother in 82. The brakes weren't great, but it stopped. One day the road was slick, and the front wheels slid, and I foubd there were no brakes on the rear. :shock:  I crawled under it to see if there was a leak, and found the line to the rear cut, folded, and hammered shut like you did. I replaced the line, bled the brakes, and they worked fine. I asked my brother about it, and he said" oh, yeah, I fotgot about that.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bib_Overalls

Around here a lot of the old timers subscribe to the "just good enough" is "good enough" way of fixing things.  

We bought a rent house from one of my wife's relatives.  A tightwad that all the other tightwads considered tight.

The water tasted rubbery.  When I got under the house I found numerous freeze busted pipes fixed with lengths of garden hose.  When we asked him about it he said "You get used to it."
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

47convert

I bet that parts guy would be held responsible in a lawsuit if that old dude ever crashed into someone and this was discovered. I would have told him to get lost. What an idiot.

wayne petty

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"Around here a lot of the old timers subscribe to the "just good enough" is "good enough" way of fixing things.  

We bought a rent house from one of my wife's relatives.  A tightwad that all the other tightwads considered tight.

The water tasted rubbery.  When I got under the house I found numerous freeze busted pipes fixed with lengths of garden hose.  When we asked him about it he said "You get used to it."

ooh... some rubber hoses leach mercury out of the rubber into the liquids...  this is the reason that people are told not to drink out of them...

did anybody end up with unexplained kidney failure???

too many silver fillings can do it also...

this tidbit of info i found online a few years ago.. on a garden hose site..

rv potable water hoses are always white...

Fat Cat

Quote from: "wayne petty"rv potable water hoses are always white...

Not always ours is clear with reenforcing strings molded in.

zzford

Kinda makes you wonder how in the world did he ever become an old man.