Too cold to go out and search

Started by GPster, January 25, 2009, 10:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

The radiator support and inner fender panel will get replaced on my truck repair. The rubber mounts between this and the front of the frame are deteriorated and the metal sleeves inside the rubber are in terrible shape also. This is on a '89 Ford Ranger and I was told that the front end pieces from '89 to '92 Ranger/Bronco IIs were the same. The front end that I'm using for the replacement parts is a '90 Bronco and these mounts were so bad that the bolts had rusted inside the metal sleeves and twisted in half when removing (lucky for me). Because these used pieces off of '89 and '90 are unusable I don't have a lot of hope in finding usuable pieces in junkers around here that are two years newer. I'm looking for suggestions on what to do. This cab is like a unibody set-up because the inner fender panels and radiator support are all welded together and to the firewall. Because the cab is short I worry if these front mounts are not secure that the truck's firewall will droop. Are these type mounts usually a model/year specific parts, or are they an auto-body aftermarket part or should I not worry an just engineer something to take up the space. I'm doing this repair to either make this truck  usuable or saleable instead of junkable so 'd like to know what I can get-by with. GPster

wayne petty

i searched the ford parts lists on line... nothing...  and the mitchell collision books... nothing...
but i did find this..

http://econtent.autozone.com:24991/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images//0900c152/80/07/84/c1//large/0900c152800784c1.gif

no wonder.. the individual parts are not in the normal part numbering system... they are in the ford  fastener numbering system...

that is such a popular truck... did you check to see if energy suspension has the mounts  complete ?????

i think that i would advise.. a bunch of antiseize on the threads... and on the shaft of the bolt....

hopefully .. you will take this without a grain of SALT

wayne :lol:

enjenjo

The mounts are pretty universal. I have some rubber mounts I bought at an auction, I can send you some if you like. They are about 1/2" thick, you could space with washers if needed to.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Thanks for the picture. Of the four mounts I have taken apart there wasn't one that was intact enough to show what It should be like. None of the bolt retainers were intact and I needed to see what one should look like. The hole in the frame mount is so much larger around than the bolt that it would have needed something to stop sideway movement. That picture also indicates that none of the other mounts share the same pieces. It also indicates that some time in my trucks first 120,000 mile history that someone may have found a shortage of some of these parts and just chose to do without them. I'll keep in mind your offer of those mounts but I'll need to see what direction I'll take it now. I've still got the tire that this wreck tore up so it might end up with steel belted body mounts. Maybe I should check around and see if any of the 4x4 shops have put a body lift kit on any of these trucks and wants to part with the take-offs. Well I won't be driving it tomorrow but I guess I won't have to go and check on any Volvoes. GPster

wayne petty

i have always thought about picking up the big rig tire strips that end up along the sides of the freeways...    so many possible uses...    retreading my tennis shoes...   pounding pad for the work bench.. new feet for the various pieces of equipment around the shop...

i would bet that if you print the picture and fax it to the local ford dealer.. or call the parts manager.. they might have the parts in stock in kit form.. all together..

GPster

Quote from: "wayne petty"ii would bet that if you print the picture and fax it to the local ford dealer.. or call the parts manager.. they might have the parts in stock in kit form.. all together..
I wonder? Thinking about the arrangement of those parts and the fact that that thing is unibody like. If I weld that thing back together I won't be able to put those mounts in without loosening the other body mounts up so I can jack it enough to get them in. Sometimes it's easier to show a parts man a picture of what you want and compare it to pictures of what he can get you. Now to blow up the size of that picture (so I can read the numbers) and copy it. GPster

wayne petty

blow up the picture....  ok...     i was just under a 90 ranger... i forgot to snap a picture of the front frame rail...  somebody had put the wrong adjuster on the left side.. so the self adjusting lever loosened the brake shoes...

for those who use Mac's... there is a program called preview.. comes with all the os 10 operating systems..    in preview.. in the file menu... there is something called grab..   to the right is selection..  you can then drag a box over anything on the screen...  it will take a snap shot of it.. everything..

i drag images to preview.. then click on the enlarge button.. then use the grab to take a snap shot of it.. then hold down the apple+shift+S keys to open save as.. and you can name the new image.. and save it in about a dozen different formats.. i use tiff for the first... then JPG for the second.. tiff keeps more data about the image.. jpg is what can be posted...

wayne.

48ford

Please don't beat me,but do you think you could use hockey pucks?
Drill a hole in them and go for it.
Just trying to help.
Russ

GPster

We have Windows because that is what my with uses at work, so I have a different way of doing it. My wife sent it to herself at work wher she can send it to her computor controlled copier that will enlarge it. I get the car tomorrow so I'll get the copy when I drop off her lunch on my way to the Ford dealer. I thought there might have been something wrong with both vehicles by the way they were put together. I couldn't imagine Ford wasting money by using bolts that were an inch too long for the job. Neither vehicle had the lower absorber in place. I looked at what the 4x4ers used for body lift mounts and they're solid plastic with no give. I could have a wood shop turn me some out of oak if I wanted to sink that low. Thanks again for your help. GPster

wayne petty

rubber motor mounts that look like hockey pucks... that could be used as body / frame mounts...

anchor brand part numbers...

#2009  ford 32-51 upper and jeep 50 -62
#2010  ford 32-51 lower and jeep 50-62

#2014  plymouth 39-55 transmission upper

#2048  ford truck 56 to 64 merc 49-51 eng lower
#2050                                               engine upper

#2120   ford 55-57 ford truck 53-56 engine center

#2122  chevy 55-57 chevy truck 55-62 small biscuit
#2123                                                large biscuit

#2298  ford truck 64-78 engine lower

#2306  ford truck trans 65-78

#2348  ford truck trans  65-78  looks like the other half of 2306

#2667  dodge truck 72-96  trans upper
#2668                              trans lower

#2679   lincoln trans 82-92

there were no sizes listed for these part numbers.. only fuzzy images...

this list should help with the amount of boxes that need to be opened ..

i even used the #2122 and #2123 motor mounts on my skateboard trucks to replace the tiny neoprene biscuits they came with..  i rode it almost 10 miles a day.. passing commuter busses.. to school and back..

GPster

Well I didn't get the car today but I hazarded a call to the local Ford dealer. He seemed to know what I was talking about and even said he had them in stock. I wonder if he was quoting me List Prices because what I thought i needed was about $120.00. Examined the parts I have and they don't really match with the picture so I'll probably go out and look at his picture. The body bolt retainer and the upper absorber appeared to be vulcanized together. That and the part numbers or description are not anything that Auto Zone recognizes even though it's their drawing. I may check on hockey pucks at WalMart on the way out but I don't know if I'm that desparate yet.  Thirty years ago when I was selling appliances Kitchen Aide packaged their dishwashers on wooden skids with 4 nice rubber insulators that would have been the right size, but I've only got one left. Tomarrow's another (COLD) day. GPster

wayne petty

its a ford drawing on the auto zone repair site..   they don't have anything like it.. i checked... but if times get hard.. you can always make something up with the rubber biscuits.. thats why i put down all the part numbers...

there is not any reason that you have to use ford parts other than the height...  rubber is rubber....  form and function is why we are here.. to modify it to fit our needs...

i still have not found my energy suspension catalog or any of the dozens of 4x4 companys...

GPster

I just thought the fit of a 12mm bolt in an 1 1/4" hole was a little sloppy. The absorbers have a shoulder on them that fits the hole and centers the bolt. I thought I'd try to get replacements that would work with the stock parts I already have before I have to make something new from scratch. I'm also thinking that the right pieces might help put the pieces in the right place before I weld it (OK maybe "Pop Rivet") back together. I checked that one place you suggested on line and they only have suspension parts and the 4x4 places I checked only showed poly cab raising mounts and only as kits not individually. This is the newest thing I've ever worked on with the entension of driving it again. GPster

wayne petty

try the chevy small and large biscuits..2122 and 2123   most parts stores worth their salt will have them in stock..  they can be cut and trimmed.. bored out for a sleeve..  and should work well... with various washers, nuts and bolts...

you might print the list.. see if the store has a motor mount book.. or just pull them all and open the boxes...

i have not checked the napaonline site to see if they have photos.. probably...   thats why i tryed to get application info also...

don't forget ..  one can glue these mounts together with the dynatron/bondo #660 urethane bumper repair kit... think endura bumpers on 69's and 70's models cars...   one can also glue the rubber to metal with this and expect it to live a long long life..    i use it to fill hollow motor mounts to firm them up for performance and abusive driving use..

one.. with a gig.. might even be able to make his own mounts with it.. either using it to glue rubber onto the steel one fabs up.. or filling the gap completely...  most tire retreaders can can also do this..  but it will take a gig to hold the parts in place while they cook...