seat belt mounting bracket location

Started by reborn55, January 23, 2009, 08:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reborn55

Getting ready to install retractable seat belts in the ragtop.  47 Chevy.  Anyone have a picture or link as to general mounting location.  I have mounted the seat farther back than stock and am mulling ove whether to mount in front or behind the floor brace by the rear or the set.  thanks

Jokester

Do a search on new seat belts.  I did it some time ago and found some that had links to their instruction sheets.  They were fairly specific on how high the shoulder mount should be etc.

If I don't see a better reply I'll look late tonight when I get home.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

reborn55

thanks I am only using the 2 point retractable type.  Will keep searching today

The Paisano

Retrackable seat belt systems should be istalled with the mounting points
are able to withstand at least 5,000 lbs of force when acted upon them.they should be only installed with grade 8 bolts nuts and flat washers.the mounting behind the floor brace in probably where you want to install them.They should not be mounted in the chassis, as during an impact,the frame and the body move differantly.Neve mount on fiberlass.If need to,you can make a bracket out of 1/8 or larger angle iron
and install it under.The beltiing should never go through the floor for mounting and ther should be no sharp edges anywhere near the system.
Also,it you planning on using used belts from a salage yard.You might think twice becuse they may have had stress put on them from a previous accident.As a general rule, the stronger the system,the better.
You cann consult the National Transportation systemfor the Specs.
Generally you'll find that if the belts are in the same or slightly lower angle than the seat frame you will probably 20 degrees from the line of the belt anchorage which should be at the seat frame hieght or at the mount point line on the flloor.BElt travel probably to 75 degrees at shoulder height. Also,the mounting to where the belts should attacht to the floor system should not be and closer than 6 inches.   A 4 point system is a better bet,and besides,looks real cool on a hot ride
The Paisano  8)
Paisano