Radiator Hoses

Started by timkins, January 16, 2009, 03:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timkins

I am in the process of replacing the motor in my 32 Ford Sedan. It is a 1978 350 Chev with the LH dipstick. I am using an older Walker Radiator with a Center inlet and a RH lower outlet. I need the parts numbers for the hoses so I can give them to the parts store so they can be replaced. All of the hoses ar 1 1/2" ID. I have posted a picture to help understand what I am in need of. Any body have the numbers for the hoses?

phat rat

Do you have a friendly parts store that you frequent? If so and they will let you, take your hoses with you to their back room and start looking at hoses. It's possible that what you have may have been cut down from something much larger. Then when you find what fits write the part number down and put it where you won't forget so that you have it next time.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Deuce

Your hoses LOOK a lot like mine ... I use a Gates #20225 and a Gates #20046. I do have to trim them down for length.

:D
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

41woodie

Quote from: "Deuce"

Your hoses LOOK a lot like mine ... I use a Gates #20225 and a Gates #20046. I do have to trim them down for length.

Is the 20225 the lower hose?

wayne petty

a matching molded hoses tip...    many name brands of hoses have tiny imprints along the hose of various numbers...  with those numbers most good parts people can match things up... and i am not talking about the label... examine the hoses close..   you might be able to see the factory numbers that are pressed into the rubber..

not all brands of hoses have it... but it has helped me in the past...

timkins

Quote from: "wayne petty"a matching molded hoses tip...    many name brands of hoses have tiny imprints along the hose of various numbers...  with those numbers most good parts people can match things up... and i am not talking about the label... examine the hoses close..   you might be able to see the factory numbers that are pressed into the rubber..

not all brands of hoses have it... but it has helped me in the past...
I did what a lot of people have suggested and spent nearly 2 hrs looking at the hoses in the local parts store with no luck. I showed the parts man the stream of numbers on both hoses and they said they were insignificant. The number stream on the upper hose is   ZCM 0249 02 EBP D1 80MH46 The number stream on the bottom hose is 4F03 EBP D1 80MH70 ZMD 7544. If anybody can decipher that it would be greatly appreciated.

zzford

If you can get your hand on a Goodyear belts and hose catalog, there are pictures and dimensions of molded hoses.

Deuce

Quote from: "41woodie"

Is the 20225 the lower hose?

Yes ...  :D

Topsterguy

Not wanting to confuse the issue any more but on my 32 with the same rad etc  I have the upper as a Gates #20504 and the lower as a Gates # 20475, and I had to trim the lower one a bit. Hope that helps!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

wayne petty

i found the pdf file of the gates hose interchange..

here are a few pictures.... but gates and other companys measure the hose from end to end going the long way... \\

so i am guestimating.. but i should be close...  the uppers will need to be trimmed to fit...

wayne petty

these hoses are what deuce is using..  they are inch and 3/4 id...

so you might want to remeasure the outlets... and the long way along the hose...

best of luck...

i knew that i had the catalog saved.. but it was hectic around here the last few days...  so i stayed up with craig ferguson and looked up a few hoses..

Deuce

On my bottom hose, as it goes to the Walker radiator ... I did buy a rubber sleeve ... that Gates makes to have a better fit. I do not have the number ... but my parts guy at Car Quest had it in stock. The sleeve is just long enough to slip over the outlet and cover it.

timkins

Just an update on my hose search. I finally purchased 2 Gates hoses, parts numbers  20046 and 20475, I then bought 3 Gates number 26391 1.75 to 1.50 reducers. The upper hose did not need to be shortened it fit perfect. The Lower hose needed to be trimmed quite a bit BUT they are much nicer looking than what was on there previously. Thanks to the members here that helped with the hose numbers.

Canuck

Along a similar vein, what is the tolerances plus or minus of the fit of a hose to rad or engine?  Most of the hose specs seem to jump from 1.5 to 1.75 ID.  The hose adapters that I see listed by Gates or Summit jump from 1.25 to 1.5 to 1.75.

My water pump has an OD of 1.625 (ridges 1.725) (stock hose is 1.5) and rad lower is 1.63.

The engine upper outlet is 1.575 (ridges 1.63) (stock hose is 1.5) and rad upper is Upper 1.44.

This combo is a Buick Nailhead and a US Radiator rad.

Will a 1.75 hose compress enough to seal effectively on the rads 1.63 outlet for a lower hose or will it streatch enough to use a 1.5 to 1.75 adapter?   :?:

Will a 1.5 hose seal on the rads 1.44 upper connection?  :?:
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/