RRT project

Started by enjenjo, January 10, 2009, 08:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

QuoteFigure you know this, but I put it out there:

I am told .... that axles and spool splines fit better if they are the same brand / manufacture

Yes, I know. Our rear will be 40" wide. I was hoping to gind some used axles that are too long, and the splines can be dealt with when shortening. Moser always wants the spool grand when cutting axles for me, so I assume they know what fits. I would not throw rocks at 31 spline parts, we could use them too.

QuoteCarrier for large 3.250 bearings will be need for spool usually with 35 spline axles.

Yes, I know. As far as I know, there are no small bearing nodular carriers.

QuoteI would buy seat belts last for better SFI date code. Maybe use some old seat belts for fab purpose?

If we come up with out of date belts, we can have them rewebbed when we are ready to race. Half the price or less than new belts.

QuoteWill fuel cell be accessible via body panel removed or a remote fill port thru body panel? How many gallons? Mount tank up front near engine? Or is that allowed per rules?

The fuel cell will be in the rear of the car, with a removeable panel for access.  We have to have a firewall between the tank and interior. I am thinking at least 5 gal., no more than 10 gal. We figure on mounting the battery up front, that may change though.

QuoteWhat about water tank for engine cooling?

At this point, we are just setting up for drag racing. Later on we can add a water tank. It will probably be inside the car on the right side.

QuoteShifter for glide with FWD pattern is suggested. You will be next to neutral while in gear 2

I agree.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

I forgot about the re-web of belts pricing.

No cooling for engine at all on drag race effort?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Quote from: "Crosley"I forgot about the re-web of belts pricing.

No cooling for engine at all on drag race effort?

Depends on the engine, and the class it's running in. Some will need a radiator, some won't.

enjenjo

I found a wheel to match the one we had for the front of the car, so now we have a pair.

enjenjo

I bought the rod ends for the rear suspension. I found some Chrome Moly ones on Ebay for $20 each. We are now out of money. We need more subscriptions to move forward. So far we have spent $1813.13 including the money we reinvested from sale of parts.

enjenjo

The Rod ends for the rear suspension came in today. Chrome moly premium ends.

For the front suspension, do we want 1/2" or 5/8" rod ends? I think 1/2" will be strong enough but I would like some other opinions.

Crosley.In.AZ

On hair pins or what?  I forget the the plan  and did not read back
Tony

enjenjo

four bar front end on torsion bars.

Crosley.In.AZ

1/2 inch for a drag car would be fine.  On a street car , i would use 5/8.

edit:

I did some looking around at parts.  It seems many of the  4 bar kits for street use 1/2 inch  bolts in double shear.  I was thinking of single shear.

Kind of a 'duh' moment for me...  you look at something often , yet never see what you need to  sorta thing

8)
Tony

UGLY OLDS

I know that I have no say in the matter , but if a replacement is ever needed isn't 5/8" easier to find & more "universal" ???

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

The plan is double shear mounts. 1/2" is easily available too, a bit lighter, and a bit cheaper for the good stuff.

GPster

My initial concern would be for strength because the front axel will have disc brakes. The facts that the size tire on the front and the fact that the vehecle will not have the majority of the weight on the front should cancel that concern. One thing that might be thrown into the mix is the starting line practices for a drag car. If you use the front brakes to hold the car while doing tire heating burn outs might that change the concern? It's probably been 40 years since I've been to a drag strip so the things I worry about is probably out-dated. GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"I bought the rod ends for the rear suspension. I found some Chrome Moly ones on Ebay for $20 each. We are now out of money. We need more subscriptions to move forward. So far we have spent $1813.13 including the money we reinvested from sale of parts.

so, I guess we need another plan of attack here?
Tony

enjenjo

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "enjenjo"I bought the rod ends for the rear suspension. I found some Chrome Moly ones on Ebay for $20 each. We are now out of money. We need more subscriptions to move forward. So far we have spent $1813.13 including the money we reinvested from sale of parts.

so, I guess we need another plan of attack here?

Well, we are going to need more people to subscribe, or those who have already invested to invest more, or come up with another way to finance it.

Danimal

I'd like to support the car but right now, I'm supporting a fleet with Court driving to college, losing my company car (cost reduction? for WHO?!), Edie still running around with/for her brother, and Eli about to venture into driver's ed. I think I'll be supporting cars for a long time to come...at least Michigan has 10 cent cans and still enough folks throwing them out the windows!