RRT project

Started by enjenjo, January 10, 2009, 08:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

39deluxe

It's dusty but new.

purplepickup

Seeing that pedal made me wonder about something.  If different drivetrains will be used depending on where the car is, will the car have 3 pedals?
George

39deluxe

That thought crossed my mind too. To avoid each group cutting off and welding in different clutch linkage brackets why don't we install a pedal and hyd. clutch master cylinder.  Then if they want a stick they can supply their own slave cyl. or hyd throw out bearing.

That just reminded me of something. Somewhere in my stash I have a new old stock Chevy/GMC truck brake/clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder. I think mine is the reversed one that mounts under the floor facing to the rear and not the firewall mount with the clutch cylinder on the left. You used to see a lot of these on hot rods and I have been saving it for something. Maybe this is it.

Tom

GPster

The plan is for it to have a Powerglide automatic transmission. One has already been given to us. There are any number of adapter bellhousings available to different engines and they also serve as a torque converter shield. I think the thought was to go with an automatic transmission rather than always having to have a scatershield and always modifying the floor for shifter and the scatershield and pedal problem. GPster

enjenjo

It makes sense to include a clutch pedal, and hydraulic sounds like a good idea.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Quote from: "GPster"The plan is for it to have a Powerglide automatic transmission. One has already been given to us. There are any number of adapter bellhousings available to different engines and they also serve as a torque converter shield. I think the thought was to go with an automatic transmission rather than always having to have a scatershield and always modifying the floor for shifter and the scatershield and pedal problem. GPster
I typically have listened to what I thought was said and gotten it wrong.

enjenjo

You got it right, but some people just want a stick shift to race,

39deluxe

The Powerglide is pretty much universal and a good idea. How would it work out at B'ville? Would we loose top end due to convertor slipage?

If we put in a clutch pedal it could either be used or not depending on the driveline of the moment. At least we would be sure it was done right initially.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "39deluxe"The Powerglide is pretty much universal and a good idea. How would it work out at B'ville? Would we loose top end due to convertor slipage?

If we put in a clutch pedal it could either be used or not depending on the driveline of the moment. At least we would be sure it was done right initially.

you can assemble a tight = low RPM stall converter.  

Or switch to a converter eliminator drive device.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

unklian

Powerglides made for oval short tracks didn't use torque converters.

Don't know if anybody is still using them.

39deluxe

Going through Charlotte MI last evening I spotted a nice looking orange Crosley wagon sitting downtown. Looked to have Summit aluminum wheels ad set nice.  Too bad I didn't have my camera with me. Are any of you MI guys familiar with this car?

Tom

enjenjo

Quote from: "39deluxe"Going through Charlotte MI last evening I spotted a nice looking orange Crosley wagon sitting downtown. Looked to have Summit aluminum wheels ad set nice.  Too bad I didn't have my camera with me. Are any of you MI guys familiar with this car?

Tom

It belongs to * LaHaie. Tube chassis, 4.3 V6 Chevy power. He built it for his wife

39deluxe

No kidding? It sure is a nice looking car. I'd like to see it up close sometime.

BTW What do we need for parts donations to the RRT Racer yet. I was going to ask Sunday when I asked about the motor plate material but got sidetracked on something or the other.

Tom

enjenjo

I picked up a mid plate that was donated to the project the other day. It is already drilled for a Chevy bolt pattern.

We still need some type of shifter for the Glide, a Nodular 9" carrier, a 35 spline spool, a pair of good axles, roll cage tubing, steering wheel, seat belts, and a fuel cell.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"I picked up a mid plate that was donated to the project the other day. It is already drilled for a Chevy bolt pattern.

We still need some type of shifter for the Glide, a Nodular 9" carrier, a 35 spline spool, a pair of good axles, roll cage tubing, steering wheel, seat belts, and a fuel cell.

Figure you know this, but I put it out there:

I am told .... that  axles and spool splines fit better if they are the same brand / manufacture.

Carrier for large 3.250 bearings will be need for spool usually with 35 spline axles.

I would buy seat belts last for better SFI date code.  Maybe use some old seat belts for fab purpose?

Will fuel cell be accessible via body panel removed or a remote fill port thru body panel? How many gallons?  Mount tank up front near engine?  Or is that allowed per rules?

What about water tank for engine cooling?

Shifter for glide with FWD pattern is suggested.  You will be next to neutral while in gear 2

just stuff to think about

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)