OT- what new vehicle

Started by Okiedokie, January 05, 2009, 01:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flipper

The chevy equinox is built in canada with a chineese engine.

I looked at a mustang and it said the transmission was from France!

All of this labor outsourcing is one of the big reasons that loyalty to the big three has gone to *.

A very small precentage of the US population owes their livelyhood to the big three.  In the good ole days, everybody had a family member that worked in automotive....and the whole family bought whatever the brand was that took care of them.

Grandadeo

Back in 2000 we were looking for a new ride for my wife.  She gets the new one and I get the hand-me-down.  We had gone the van route twice and neither of us wanted another one.  I asked her if she would consider a crew cab pickup.  She kinda said show me, and we went looking.  We bought a bright red, her favorite car color, 2000 Dodge Dakota, crew cab - 4 door - with the 4.7 V8 and automatic OD trans and most of the bells and whistles.  I told her it had all the interior room of a car AND with the not quite full size bed we would have no trouble bringing things back when we went on trips or to Home Depot.  That sounded good to her.  Bottom line is she loved it, and its been one of the best vehicles we have ever owned.  Lots of pep with the small V8 but still pretty good mileage, and when you close the doors you don't really know your in a truck.  Dodge has a life time power train warranty now too that ours didn't have.

The Dodge is mine now.  She has a 2005 Ford Five Hundred, which she hates.  Lots of little warranty problems with it and a gas gauge that drops to empty when it hits the quarter tank line.  They never have been able to fix that and it's out of warranty now.  She wishes we would have bought another Dakota and we may yet and get rid of that Ford.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

HYPORX

Quote from: "Flipper"All of this labor outsourcing is one of the big reasons that loyalty to the big three has gone to ####.

I beg to differ.  :)

As a regular visitor to the 'States, I make note of getting a different (hire) car each time I come. (monthly visits)

Keep in mind these are mid-full sized cars only, I have seen some shockers.  :shock:
Here's some examples:

Pontiac G6 ('08 model with low milage)
Quiet and comfortable with enough poke to have fun.
Severely lacking in suspension development, the thing would wallow through corners to the point of lurching when pushed hard.

Ford Mustang ('08 model)
Cool! A mustang...8)
Huh? Rear vision is virtually non-existant  :shock:
Wha? The engine cut out 5 minutes into the journey *everything dead*
:?:  10 minutes later, the car could be started again and showed no signs of the previous issue.
:?  The customer service desk was not suprised when I returned 20 minutes after picking up the car and politely asked for a replacement.

Chevrolet Monte Carlo ('09 model)
Quiet and comfortable. Warmed seats A+
Drank fuel at regular highway speeds
Handled like a waterbed
Designed and assembled in a lego factory

Until the US car makers can provide the style, fit, finish and reliability in comparison to the rest of the world, then they shall become #1.
Until that day....I'll keep laughin'  :lol:  :wink:

Caleb.

oiler

I work at a GM dealer so I'm a little biased but for god sakes don't buy a Pontiac Torrent/Chev. Equinox.
I am so sick of fixing these things
Jeff

tonto1

My sister-in-law bought a 2008 Saturn Vue and thinks it's great except for the fuel economy. 17 mpg. But I don't believe you can expect very good from a V-6 4 wheel drive vehicle that probably weghs 4000 lbs
Why are there more horses a**es in the world than there are horses?

Fat Cat

Quote from: "tonto1"My sister-in-law bought a 2008 Saturn Vue and thinks it's great except for the fuel economy. 17 mpg. But I don't believe you can expect very good from a V-6 4 wheel drive vehicle that probably weghs 4000 lbs

I don't know about that. I have a 2007 Hyundai Veracruz that seats 7 cruises down the highway at 75mph no problem and gets 26mpg while doing it. Over the course of 15,000 miles in the last year the lifetime fuel economy is almost 21 miles to the gallon. It has a 260 horse 3.8l V-6 and a 6 speed auto trans. And the kicker is that it cost me about half the price of a comparable GM or Ford crossover with a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty.

Leon

I'm wondering why Chevy decided to get rid of a good seller in the S-10 that gets good gas mileage and replace it with the Colorado that doesn't do any better (actually a bit worse on mileage) and cost more than an S-10.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Fat Cat"
Quote from: "tonto1"My sister-in-law bought a 2008 Saturn Vue and thinks it's great except for the fuel economy. 17 mpg. But I don't believe you can expect very good from a V-6 4 wheel drive vehicle that probably weghs 4000 lbs

I don't know about that. I have a 2007 Hyundai Veracruz that seats 7 cruises down the highway at 75mph no problem and gets 26mpg while doing it. Over the course of 15,000 miles in the last year the lifetime fuel economy is almost 21 miles to the gallon. It has a 260 horse 3.8l V-6 and a 6 speed auto trans. And the kicker is that it cost me about half the price of a comparable GM or Ford crossover with a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty.

Is that 10-100,000   warranty from the factory or a dealer add on insurance policy??

:shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "Fat Cat"

Is that 10-100,000   warranty from the factory or a dealer add on insurance policy??

:shock:

Factory warrantee.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Okiedokie

Fat Cat, it sounds like you might buy another Hyundai???? I don't see the half price difference with Ford/Gm, but I have heard some good reports on their product. Is the 100,000 mile warranty something that is doable, or are the requirements hard to meet? Joe

enjenjo

Both my sons are driving Hyundai Vera Cruz, my other son also has a Hyundai Azera. He needed some warantee work on the Azera, as long as he could document regular oil changes, it was no problem.

BFS57

Hello;
I had a 2000 Hyundai Sonata that we leased new and the warranty work was really super! I even drove in one day and complained about my battery going dead and they did a check and replaced it right where you drive in for service! Then, we used it as a trade in for the 02 Trailblazer we purchased (same dealer). So far, pushing over a 100K on the Chevy and thing just keeps on runnin! Hope I get it paid for (end of this year) before it needs anything major.

Bruce

tomslik

hyundai's ain't the peice of crap they USED to be.....
still have nightmares of accents.....

kia's on the other hand.... :(D)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

river1

Quote from: "enjenjo"He needed some warantee work on the Azera, as long as he could document regular oil changes, it was no problem.

even a non-oil related repair?

like maybe AC service?

just curious

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

enjenjo

Quote from: "river1"
Quote from: "enjenjo"He needed some warantee work on the Azera, as long as he could document regular oil changes, it was no problem.

even a non-oil related repair?

like maybe AC service?

just curious

later jim

If you can document regular service, I know of no issues with anything.