OT- what new vehicle

Started by Okiedokie, January 05, 2009, 01:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okiedokie

Time to replace Momma's wheels. We bought a Toyota Highlander in 03 that has been outstanding. 90,000 on it and it still seems new to me. Our kids are in need of an affordable upgrade in their transportation [second kid came along] so we are going to sell it to them at a very good price and get a new something. My wife would like an exact duplicate, but the new ones are bigger/higher off the ground, and we both find them less than attractive. I really don't care a great deal, as long as she is happy with the vehicle. Since she has hesitated on the Toyota, I have began to think about buying American. I know a lot of an American car today is foreign, at least the money stays here. The one that has caught my eye is the Ford Taurus X. Close in size and such as the 03 Highlander. Certainly can be bought for a good deal less. The last new vehicle before the Toyota was a 98 Ford Explorer, which was not on a level with the Toyota regarding build quality. Have quality levels improved at Ford and others? I know this is not in the realm of the site, but I'd like your opinions. Joe

58Apache

Very good decision buying American. With the economy the way it is, every dollar that goes overseas hurts us even more.

Quality has increased in American cars for many years now. Seldom have I heard of quality issues with American Cars. Sure there's an occasional exception, but I'm sure that's the same with any manufacturer.  

My wife has a 2002 Monte Carlo that's been great to us overall, and we're thinking about taking it on a several thousand mile trip this spring. I drive a 2005 Avalanche and absolutely love it!  NO Problems.

However, in your situation, I'd be looking at Saturn products. Very good quality and always has been. I used to have one and only sold it because my nephew needed a car and I needed a truck. Gas mileage is incredible in many of them.

Myself, I love the Cadillac CTS or Dodge Challenger, but the later may not be your taste. If you want a Ford, those mustangs sure are cool. The new Camaro is almost here. Detroit is making some nice cars these days...finally!

Steve

butch27

I like that NEW Challenger. Looks just like my old "Cuda.

phat46

I like the Saturn stuff too. We got a Vue AWD in '07 and the wife has driven the wheels off it, 43,000 and no probs. I really like the stying of the new Vues better than ours and the wife has made some noises about trading ours in for the new body style. I really like the size, not too big, but big enough...

58Apache

Quote from: "butch27"I like that NEW Challenger. Looks just like my old "Cuda.

I seen one today at work in the parking lot. The guy was parking in the south 40 far away from anyone else despite having to walk much farther in below freezing weather.

The car just took my breath away and made me ache to go buy one. Now I can't remember the last time I felt that way ....if ever!  (p.s.  I'm a Chevy guy ...have 4 of them and even had a dog named Chevy!)

In a world filled with boring "functional" cars, this Challenger stands out like a swan in a polluted sewage pond.  I don't care if it's a Chrysler 300 or Charger with a different coat on, it's style, class,...and something that finally stirs emotions.

If Detroit got the message years ago and built what people wanted they wouldn't be in this jam today. The quality is there and has been, but styling SUCKED!...  at least things are starting to turn around. 1964-1974 was Detroit's finest years of styling ...IMHO.

Steve

Flipper

The Saturn Vue is Mexican and the Challenger is Canadian.

Does it help American workers more or less than buying a Honda built in Ohio?

58Apache

Quote from: "Flipper"The Saturn Vue is Mexican and the Challenger is Canadian.

Does it help American workers more or less than buying a Honda built in Ohio?

That may depend on the next car you buy? If Honda had a reason to lay workers off and GM had a reason to hire them at all these closed plants around here, maybe the dollars you spend on that car might end up in Detroit instead of Tokyo?

Any guesses on the trade deficit? I won't even get into inflation and other countries buying our debt.

But most people will hang on to their beliefs in what they hear and defend their right to buy a Civic because every other person thinks it's the right thing to do.

All  I'm saying is take a test ride in a Civic if you want, but at least take a test drive in a Cadillac CTS or 2009 Malbu or Saturn, Mustang, Challenger even before you decide to buy.

Is it too much to ask Americans who may get laid off next month because of lack of demand at their company to at least give the Big 3 a chance at a test drive?

tomslik

i just work on this stuff for a living and i wouldn't have a opel,er,saturn stuck up my....

kinda depends on what kind of vehicle you want.
something comparable to a hylander?
hybrid of some sort?
if so, MOST of the hybrids are toyota technology...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

My next vehicle is a question  too... Not sure , may be a Honda or Toyota product.

I would prefer a RWD vehicle ,  that will hard to find with a high mpg vehicle and larger interior space   than a Corvette
:lol:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Okiedokie

Thanks for the reply's all. I have my hotrods for my fun, my F150 for utility, and my wifes vehicle is like the fridge, an appliance. Yeah, for me how it looks and performs is important, but second to hers. She does tolerate my addiction so I am ok with her first. I want to buy the best appliance that suits us. Hopefully it can be one that is American made. I'm lookin'. Joe

chopped

Anyone want to define" American made".

Okiedokie

I understand your comment. In 94 I bought a new Honda Accord, my Dad a new Mercury. He went on and on about made in America. I happened on some info that showed that more of the Honda was made in America than the Mercury. At this point in time, my American made has more to do with where the money ends up. Although, the greediness of American CEO's makes me question the real value of where the dollars end up. I simply want to do what I learned growing up, make my dollars count for as much as I can. It is up to the American auto makers to make that be spent them with them. Joe

tomslik

Quote from: "chopped"Anyone want to define" American made".

SI!

NORTH AMERICAN MADE(CANADA/USA/MEXICO).... :shock:  :roll:

my other 2 spanish words are "taco and cervesa)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Leon

When Sharon needed a new car we decided to go with a Chevy HHR, love that car but it is really made in Mexico.  Can't buy American without the money going outside the border.

57larry

I bought a new 2002 Saturn, next one will be a new Impala