Air to water intercooler repair

Started by 2rods, January 01, 2009, 11:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2rods

Have a slight leak on an igloo intercooler and was wondering if Alumaseal for rads would work. The replacement is $1700 and to repair it I think you would damage it more  by fixing it as leak is down in the core which is about 4" thick. I don't have anything to lose by trying Alumaseal or something else similar. Only thing is does those rad sealers work without heat? And is there another sealer that may work better? Thanks.

chimp koose

I think alumaseal works with heat. Works pretty good too.

2rods

103 views and no comments? Anyone have any comments on this? Please and thanks.

enjenjo

I didn't comment, because I have no suggestions.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

I dont know what an "igloo intercooler" is, so I'm hiding behind Frank waiting to learn something new... :lol:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

58 Yeoman

I was going to suggest the egg in the radiator trick, but that would also need heat... :shock:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

wayne petty

i was going to say construction epoxy... the kind used to hold rebar and studs in concrete... there are so many kinds...  and i don't know one from another...

i have seen it used on my friends 87 GTA before somebody stole it and stripped it..   he is a journeyman carpenter and ran a crew at the getty build in west los angeles... so he could have had access to all kinds of epoxy...    he made up a small batch and with the radiator laying flat... let it drip through. so it would stay...

if you intercooler is cracked... i would sure check the waste gates on the turbo for proper operation... overboost will crack them quick...

and as far as i know... igloo makes all kinds of aluminum stuff...  including intercoolers for turbo charged applications... and reefer units for the front of insulated trailers..

did you know a thermos bottle is a high tech item...   it keeps cold items cold...  and hot items hot...    and all without programing... or switches...

2rods

Igloo intercooler is made by Vortech and it sits on top of intake and is very expensive. If I knew how to post pics I would post the core pic. I don't think pouring epoxy would work although it may seal hole if it gets to the right spot but would stop air flow in that area. Seeind as I have nothing to lose I'll try the Alumaseal cold and if it doesn't seal I figured out a way to heat the water. Thanks guys.

enjenjo

Ok, you might try this Moroso has a product called ceramic seal. It will seal head gasket leaks so it does stand some pressure. I would fill the intercooler with it, plug it, with a pressure relief valve of some kind, and bake it for an hour or so at about 180  degrees. It might be better to put some kind of pump on it so you can circulate while heating. Drain it, and let it cure. I have fixed head gasket leaks on a diesel with this stuff.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wvcab

how about "water glass", available at the pharamcy" have used it before on cracked blocks, and held for several years....

2rods

Thanks guys I'll check that stuff out.

wayne petty

2 rods... this must happen a lot.... seems there is another guy looking for almost exactly the same thing...  some user name like stude...

check your private messages... when you get a chance...

can you post a little more information about the application.. seems they have a whole bunch of different ones... including one that fits in an adaptor for a EFI ford truck intake manifold...

wayne

HYPORX

Please try and get a pic.
Most intercoolers are just a fancy radiator so it could be a simple fix.

2rods

Wayne that stude guy is me (blownstude). I have posted this problem on several sites. I'll try to get some core pics today. Here is the link for the vortech cooler.
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=20

wayne petty

have you taken it without the manifold... to several radiator shops.. the air automotive conditioning shops . and to the local HVAC shops/??? some of them have the ability to braze aluminum...

sorry i did not think of it earlier...

radiator manufacturers also have the ability to braze aluminum cores...

i take it that it is a water to air intercooler...  when it broke... was it the boost that blew it out???/   a backfire through the intake overpresurize it...
a nitrous backfire????   if so.. does it still hold water pressure.???? so there is no chance of it leaking intercooler water into the intake and killing the motor....

i was just curious...   you don't have to answer what caused it...  i have seen damage from over boost.. when my autoshop teacher blew the head gaskets out of his streamliner at el mirage back in 79...   left dents in the top rails of the chassis..