Off topic, Planes and stuff

Started by tonto1, December 14, 2008, 08:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1

I mentioned on a post the other day that I had sold my cars and was building an airplane.
There was some response that they were interested, so here is probably more info than you want.

I had a '41 Chevy, that I bought as a restored stock '41, took most of it apart and rodded it.  350 roller SBC, 700R-4, '88 Caprice Rear axle, MII front suspension, and Vintage air.
While I was changing it, I got a '65 Buick Skylark and did a cosmetic restoration on it.  Paint, interior, windows gaskets, and wheels. Wish I had it back.

My son and I also Did a restoration on a 1969 Bonanza during this time and after he moved out of state( I was probably working him to hard) I did a cosmetic restoration on a 1969 Cessna 150

For a long time I have been interested in Experimental Airplanes and have owned 3 over the years. Finally worked up the nerve to build one.
So to free up money, I sold the cars.
The Rans S-16 Shekari had always looked good to me, but was out of production, so I looked for someone that had started one and quit building. After looking for about 6 Months I found a gentleman East of San Francisco that had quit building about 3 years ago and it was just setting in a hanger. We talked back and forth for about 2 months and finally agreed on a price.
I gathered up every tool I could think of that we would need. Loaded the truck and trailer and headed west.  Picked up our son in Santa Fe(yeah, he didn't get off that easy) and went to Byron, CA.
Took us parts of 3 days to take it apart to and load.
I was 8 days gone and one wore out old dog when I got home. 70 years old and counting
The plane is a 2 place, low wing, fixed gear, fixed prop. It will be powered by a Continental I0-240, 125 HP
Why are there more horses a**es in the world than there are horses?

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Bib_Overalls

Ambitious!  I'll stick to hot rods.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

GPster

After my accident (1993) I was about 10 years before I mustered up enough courage to try to drive again. During that period I spent some time trying to come up with a project for my enjoyment. I was fastenated with experimental aircraft but with a lesser income I was mostly attracted to the lower end of that experimental classification, less than 50 horse power. I was attracted to the Flea (French) and even read the designer's biography. I started familiarizing myself with VW engines with the idea of making a 2 cylinder drone style engine out of one. Wresteling with a froze engine netted me with 5 stiches in my forehead and damaging the web like skin between my thumb and index finger in such a way that the doctor said it wouldn't hold stiches and he had to super glue it together. That accomplished, I realized that to be anywhere to fly this plane I'd have to have somebody drive me which complicated any feeling of freedom. Most importantly because of my vision I deal with a severe lack of depth perseption. If both of my eyes have their vision corrected I deal with double-vision. I figured it might make it hard trying to figure how far down the gound was if I was trying to land. So I figured it would be safer for me (and humanity) to just read about somebody else doing it. So go ahead. GPster

river1

cool deal!!!!

keep us posted.

here is a pic of a shekari i found out on the web

good looking plane. if you ever fly it out az way i want a ride :D

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

wayne petty

looks like there are some good strong places to put external hook up points for a ballistic parachute..  removable... between flights...   breakaway covers for forward attachment lines to stop them from flapping in the air stream as they pass below the cockpit windows...

i had a letter all typed out to mail to another pilot... but he sold his 172 and bought a saratoga... no chutes for that model... i was not forward thinking enough...

i take it you might try to see if the internal structure of the wings was properly done.. by ultrasound.. or some other NDT.. got a local radiologist who's totally bored...

it's also been a while since i read about it.. but there are special calibrated fuel injectors for some engines.. that match the air flow.   along with multiple display air fuel gauges for the instrument panel so you can watch all the cylinders at a glance of an eye...

forward thinking...

wayne...

tonto1

Here is a picture of the factory plane. I think they are a nice looking plane. And 150-160 mph on 125 HP ain't to shabby.

Learpilot

Looks GREAT !
You need a GLASS cockpit. What are those round things in the dash ?
Are you planning to fly IFR ?
Did you get the engine and prop ?
I would love to build a plane. I have been the test pilot on two homebuilts.
One thing make the controls non aerobatic ( less pitch and roll) until you get the feel of the plane. I know how kit built builder brag about roll rate and how many Gs they pull, but just take it easy until you fly off the 25 hrs.
One other thing keep your flying skills up. Fly while you build. A friend of my Dads got killed because he build his air plane for 5 years and never flew (that was back in the 70s before the bi-annual flight reviews).
He was really bad about not keeping a close pattern and the engine quit on downwind and he tried to extend the glide and stalled and spun in.
Have FUN building and flying your plane !!!

tonto1

I guess I'm old fashioned, but I believe the glass cockpits are for people with more money than I have. I'm a VFR pilot and think you should keep your head out of the cockpit. I was taught you can know most of what's going on by looking outside.

Attached is a picture of what I fly now.

UGLY OLDS

WOW   :!:  :shock:   I thought street rods had lots of different parts  to build .. :!:  :!:

Bob........ :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

29bowtie

Great project or should I say "riveting"?

tonto1

348tripower

You have a lot of ambition there! :D  Keep up the good work!
Don
Don Colliau