Raidator Fluid on the Garage Floor

Started by msuguydon, December 12, 2008, 12:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msuguydon

Hey Guys:

I have another question for you all.  I have noticed the last few times I have driven my car that I have a nickel sized spot of Radiator fluid on the garage floor.  The spot is right under the over flow tube for the radiator.  I don't have a puke tank or catch bottle, just an open tube that comes off the top of radiator neck and runs along the side of radiator.

Should I be concerned?  What should I check, if anything?   For all I know this may have been occurring for years I just never noticed.
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

BFS57

Hello;
Man, if thats all you got spewing out after a drive I wouldn't be too concearnrd. Just check the radiator level when cold and if it's full, don't worry about it too much. Could be a radiator cap thats venting a bit but doesn't sound serious to me.
If you saw the stuff coming out from under my car after a run you might be frightened to take a spin around the block with me!

Bruce

phat46

I wouldn't worry about it either, that's why most modern cars have an overflow tank...because when the system gets hot it overflows, the fluid expands when heated. My Brother bought a Dodge truck new in '02 and it has left a couple drops under the overflow hose almost since new, he replaced the cap and it continued so he wired a small can to the end of the hose to catch the drip and left it alone. The can always has a couple drops in the bottom but never even enough to  even cover the bottom of the little can. you might want to make a overflow contaner to attach to the end of the hose, on my '40 p.u. I used an old Moon tank on the front between the frame rails.

paul2748

Make sure you are not overfilling the radiator - fluid level should be no more than an inch over the core.  When you shut an engine off, it will heat up a little at first, probably requiring a little more expansion room.

Jbird

Aw Jeeze, ya Ferengi brained fool. Everytime you shut it off, hop out and give that overflow tube a quick suck. It tastes sort of like Romulan toad wine, but, don't swallow it. Unless you want to end up the same temperature as a Bajorn ice puppy. Howzit down there in fridgid Florida?
        Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

38HAULR

Pretty much the same as prev suggested. The water or coolant expands when hot ,and vents out via the pressure cap. Some people will continually top up replacing "lost coolant" .Actually overfilling.  If you keep checking your water level,if all is normal it will stay around 25mm or an inch above the tubes in the top tank. You can also make sure the cap is a goody also,a weak cap will allow the symptoms described also........Frank.

4T64RD

Don, go to Walmart, and get yourself one of these little cans bottles...

http://www.cariboucoffee.com/asp/icedcoffee/index.asp

Drink it, sand off the labels with some 400 grit, use a little chrome polish on it, pop a hole slightly smaller than the overflow hose and then another smaller hole for expansion in the screw top and zip tie it the bottle in place and stick the hose in it.

Those aluminum Budweiser bottles work too, they look darn good stripped and polished.
http://www.poorboysflorida.com

New site!!!

Boycott IHOP!!! Buy American pancakes

IC2

All good suggestions - but if it's antifreeze, and you have dogs or cats, they love the sweet taste - but only try it once - as ethylene glycol will kill them!!

You need a catch can!!

Dave W

msuguydon

Quote from: "4T64RD"Don, go to Walmart, and get yourself one of these little cans bottles...

http://www.cariboucoffee.com/asp/icedcoffee/index.asp

Drink it, sand off the labels with some 400 grit, use a little chrome polish on it, pop a hole slightly smaller than the overflow hose and then another smaller hole for expansion in the screw top and zip tie it the bottle in place and stick the hose in it.

Those aluminum Budweiser bottles work too, they look darn good stripped and polished.

I think I will give that a try, after the holidays and things settle down a tad.  Thanks for the suggestion, Biggie

msuguydon

Quote from: "Jbird"Aw Jeeze, ya Ferengi brained fool. Everytime you shut it off, hop out and give that overflow tube a quick suck. It tastes sort of like Romulan toad wine, but, don't swallow it. Unless you want to end up the same temperature as a Bajorn ice puppy. Howzit down there in fridgid Florida?
        Jbird 8)

Good to hear from the Gamma Quadriant, I am not big on Romulan toad wine, I am more a klingon blood wine kinda of a guy..Nnice in warm here kinda reminds me of Betazed down here.... sunny and blue sky.  Sure beats the heck out of shoveling snow.

river1

Quote from: "msuguydon"Sure beats the heck out of shoveling snow.

yep you don't have to shovel sunshine 8)  8)

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.