Which HEI distributor in a SBC?

Started by Topsterguy, December 08, 2008, 12:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

Hey all!  I'm putting a 300hp 350 SBC crate motor in my '40 pickup, and as it turns out I can "just" get a stock ( big) HEI distributor in there, but with the plug wires on the dist cups at the back of the dist are going to be "just" against the firewall..........SO........I'm thinking on going to a smaller aftermatket HEI dist. I've heard some horror stories about MSD and Mallory ones just giving up in the middle of nowehere, but I've heard other "good" stories about them going forever! I don't want to use the boxes etc, I just want an HEI dist in this one, but being as I drive my cars long distances often I want reliablility.....so the key word here is RELIABILITY.  Suggestions ???  Thanks!   Larry
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Learpilot

I am running the small cap HEI and so far Great. You will have to run an external coil.  Be sure you get the coil with screw post. The plug type is hard to find the plugs, except the bone yard. I don't want to put old wires on my new coil. You will need to get the weather pack type plugs to hook up the distributor.  I don't run an Msd box and my plugs are clean, but I also have EFI.

rooster

you may have intrest in this. I'm happy with mine. If some thing in it breaks you can get parts anywhere over the counter.
http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com/

unklian

Late HEI used a smaller cap.
Not sure when they started.

enjenjo

Quote from: "unklian"Late HEI used a smaller cap.

They also don't have any advance mechanism. There areadvance boxes you can use with them.

I have used Dave's too, very happy with his work.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

unklian

Quote from: "enjenjo"

They also don't have any advance mechanism.

:shock:  Early computer controlled ?

enjenjo

Quote from: "unklian"
Quote from: "enjenjo"

They also don't have any advance mechanism.

:shock:  Early computer controlled ?

Yup. They used them from 87 to 95 or so.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

I have a MSD dizzy with 6a box.  The dizzy is not the billet unit, looks very similar to the OE chevy dizzy.  I've used it for many years.

I worry more about the box quitting than the dizzy
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Bib_Overalls

I have two of Dave's units and will most likely be getting another shortly.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Topsterguy

Well, when I first put the coupe on the road I had a MSD dist and an MSD 6-A box in it, and the distributor went first ,then the box went on a road trip so I bypassed it for the trip. Got rid of both and have run a points dist in it since with no problems. Sometimes you just get fed up with aftermarket ****! :x
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

wayne petty

i have been looking for the data.... but 7 pin HEI modules have some preprogrammed advance in them... so the engine will still run when the computer is down... i have seen this with a timing light on a 2.8 v6 into a 914 porsche...  

i don't know what the advance rate is... i have searched for some data but found none... so far...

there is one more thing..  that affects small cap HEI's ...  the ceramic magnet that is riveted into the reluctor on the distributer shaft cracks and throws wild signals to the ecms when in computer timing mode... (hooked to the ecm, above 400rpms)   pulling off the rotor and looking straight down the shaft to the circle of magnet that is exposed, use a bright flashlight and look for cracks... if you see any.. that may be the problem with the weird misfiring.. so it is good to examine used and remanufactured HEI's before purchasing them... no sense putting in problems that are hard to diagnose...     and for some small cap hei's .. replacement shafts are available from ac delco... but most parts store computers do not list them... only one from standard... for way too much...