I have a "what's it worth" question.....

Started by SKR8PN, December 05, 2008, 07:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SKR8PN

Do you guys and gals remember the truck I was building? Well, I traded it about 3 years ago to a gentleman in South Carolina. He spent the last three years stripping ALL of the body work out and redoing it correctly.He has EVERYTHING completed with the exception of the interior and even part of it is already painted. When we traded, I had just over 90 grand in the truck(40 in parts and 50 in sublet body shop labor :shock:  I know, lesson learned.)
ANYWHO.....the gentleman with the truck called me this evening and do to stuff out of his control,has decided to put the truck up for sale. He called me to get an idea as to where to start as far as pricing. With the economy the way it is,I had to admit I had no clue whatsoever, so I am asking the brain-trust here for opinions....and we all know what they say about opinions :lol:  :lol:
Here is how it looks today. Waddyathink it is worth with things being like they are today???

ps. I thanked him profusely for sticking with my original plans and concept. I think he did a fantastic job of almost finishing it.
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Charlie Chops 1940

Not to be a smart a**, but in today's economy he'll probably get a lot less than he has in it, regardless of the worth. I'm seeing smoking deals going begging on rollers and tons of  medium 5 digit highly collectible '32 - '34 Fords, for instance, absolutely stalling at half price or lower on eBay.

He's either going to take a beating or have to find a way to weather the storm and sell later.

Politics aside I have a feeling that a lot of us retired guys are gonna be lucky to end up with our Social Security and meager pensions intact if this goes another year, and we'll really maybe be the lucky ones. If the last half of November was as bad as the first half I'm probably (insert some big %) off from a year ago. I'd be happy to see the market just stop selling off every other day, much less growing.

I'm happy that I have my projects in front of me with the majority of the parts purchased in past years. maybe that will keep my mind off the carnage.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

SKR8PN

Thanks for the reply. Trust me Charlie, he knows he is going to take a beating as bad, if not worse than the one I took 3 years ago when we traded vehicles.  I am going to send him a link to this web site and this thread so he can get an idea what he is up against.

I just thank GOD everyday that we got our home paid off, and the Daytona is free and clear....even if I feel like I have a bazillion bucks in it. :lol:
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Crosley.In.AZ

The vehicle is worth what ever a person will pay for it...  we all know it is a very tough market right now.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

jaybee

Dunno, but a lot of people are going to be in the same shoes as me...wishing they had the money to buy that beauty.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

mcdonald

Uncle Bob

I mostly agree with what Charlie had to say, but at the same time there are certain cars that are bringing decent dollar still.  The line of buyers for any particular style of car is shorter today than even 9-10 months ago, but cars of quality/rarity/popularity have moved.  Recently I've seen a couple "barn find" '50s built 32 roadsters go in the $60k range, down a little but still a pretty good pop.  Just over a month ago saw a '33 3 window amateur restoration with glass fenders go at $39.5k.  Interesting to note at a time when SAR is launching their repop '33-4 3 window body shell for $29.5k (wonder how strong Steve's stomach is).  Some '40 coupes still move in the mid to high $40k range if they're nostalgia rather than smoothie.  Like Tony said, it's what the buyer is willing to pay.

I would guess, if he's in a hurt for money and doesn't have time to advertise in a wide way over a several month period, he's going to take a licking.  Lots of people will argue the point but being a Mopar won't help (this from a guy who owns a couple).  Fords just historically pull better in the rod market, and that's not likely to change.  Still, there's a butt for every seat, they're just harder to find today, so he should try.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Charlie Chops 1940

Bob,

You're right. Of course there are some great exceptions. I guess my perception today is not to expect miracles. I hope he gets one nonetheless.

I have had a '32 p/u cab for sale and I'm working with my 4th "buyer" and have not seen the color of any money yet - and we're in the under a grand category. I'm also not in a big hurry, just trying to turn it over for a modest handling charge. I had a weak moment a couple years ago and bought two over a couple months time. Selling the best and plan to turn #2 into a roadster pickup cab.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

HotRodLadyCrusr

His best bet is to put it on Ebay with a high reserve and go fishing.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Mikej

The auctions on TV have streetrods going perrty cheap. The one they just had in Vegas had really nice cars going in the 20's.