Spark plug heat range charts?

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, November 12, 2008, 11:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I've got a Champion RF 18YC plug out of my Ford 200 cid 6 cylinder...

since I raised the compression to 9.5 , I may need a step colder plug.

I am not finding a heat range chart that has what I think I need.  Some charts have plug numbers that I've never seen.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

wayne petty

http://www.championsparkplugs.com/search_char.asp?threadSize=18mm&hexSize=13%2F16%22+%2820.6mm%29&gap=&seatType=Tapered&terminalType=&heatRange=&reach=11.6mm+%28.460%22%29&resistor=&action.x=47&action.y=8

#4011   truck plug heat range 18

#11 =  RF18YC  

#2021     gold heat range 16

#21 = RF14YC

#2024   gold heat range 14

#22 = RF11RF

#129= RF10C      center electrode almost even with end of shell

#130 = RF14LC  .200" long extended center electrode

#409= RF9YC

#129s=RF10C S   center electrode almost even with end of shell

both RF10 plugs have thicker center electrodes..   and last and last and last like the delco CR43TS and CR44TS but those delco plugs are 14mm for chevys

if the link above loads...  move your cursor over the product name and the data  and the image on the left will change...
hopefully this will help some...

there also seems to be close to what you want...   with a retracted side terminal that only half covers the center electrode...  like some of the race plugs for porsches.. it is also a retracted tip plug...
#113S  RV12C S

tomslik

don't have a chart but i run champions in............................................................................................................................................................................................................................nothing.

next to bosch platinums and splitfires, i don't think theres a crappier plug.

just my opinion (and experience)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"don't have a chart but i run champions in............................................................................................................................................................................................................................nothing.

It is the old plug from the engine , so that is what numbers I am starting with.

I stopped use of Champion plugs in my vehicles  about 30 yrs ago.  I've had good luck with Bosch plugs in daily driver stuff.  Long mileage on them

8)
Tony

GPster

I don't know if it makes a difference but remember that is an Australian head. The number, applications and rules might be different if you change everything upside-down. GPster  PS. The things that surprise me are normal to real people.

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "tomslik"don't have a chart but i run champions in............................................................................................................................................................................................................................nothing.

It is the old plug from the engine , so that is what numbers I am starting with.

I stopped use of Champion plugs in my vehicles  about 30 yrs ago.  I've had good luck with Bosch plugs in daily driver stuff.  Long mileage on them

8)

regular bosch seem to be fine, it's the platinums that give the trouble.
how about going to denso's or ngk's?
both those and autolite/motorcraft SHOULD have a heat range chart available (you'd think anyway)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "GPster"I don't know if it makes a difference but remember that is an Australian head. The number, applications and rules might be different if you change everything upside-down. GPster  PS. The things that surprise me are normal to real people.

Joe,

I sold my OZ head for this engine about 1 year ago.

tomslik;  I gave a kwik google search last night on heat range charts , did not find thiem,  yet.

I thought I had a pdf file of brands and heat ranges  of the spark  plugs.  Cant find that either.

:shock:
Tony

GPster

I always seem to have only remembered half of the information. Compounded I only seem to be helpful 25% of the time. Most of the time I'm only trying to let the lurkers in on more of the information. Trying to show that I'm paying attention seems to be showing that I'm not doing it that well. GPster

wayne petty

try this...  same site... different name

http://www.sparkplugs.com/search_char.asp?seenWarning=1&manufacturerID=

select 18mm threads.... and tapered seat....

it will come up with a bunch of different brands...   and it lists heat ranges...

Crosley.In.AZ

Thanks.

I am still confused a bit (shut up tomslik)  8)

Since the  heat range rating is not universal standard..  one plug may be 18 rated , different brand  may be a 5  or 10 rating.

I found the plug cross reference information.

8)
Tony

wayne petty

i would examine and compare the size of the center insulator and the bore on the lower shell to try to get close to matching the heat ranges....

other than that... it is truly trial and error...    

there were sets of pyrex insulator spark plugs... so you could see the tune of the motor while it was running..... but i have not a clue where to get them any more...

do you have an oxygen sensor and an air fuel ratio display in your car???
that way... you know if the plugs are fouling do to fuel mix or being too cold a heat range...

are you also going to have a vacuum gauge to monitor the intake vacuum  at full throttle as you accelerate through the quarter.???

oh... and be sure to check out the 15.5 mm plugs... i bet those fit some FORD product...   they might really come in handy... imagine... less space taken up by the spark plug in the chamber..  new designs for race heads or something like that...    i wonder what happened to the spark devices built into the head gasket.. little electrodes embedded in the gasket and sticking out into the chamber... must  have had some insulation problems

Crosley.In.AZ

I plan on a fuel-air ratio gauge at some point for the car....

Vacuum gauge?  

With the speed this car will have in the 1/4 mile race.. I could boil water and make coffee ( I never drink the stuff) :lol:
Tony

wayne petty

vacuum gauge....

if you start building up manifold vacuum at the top end...  you might be running out of carb....

edit..   you can also see the idle vacuum pulses... to see if you have any valves going south before you launch it..

i just keep thinking of how many emery rolls i would go through opening up the log intake passage on that head...

maybe even pulling a long strip through the end of the intake passage and around the corner and out the intake port to smooth the sharp corner passages in the head...

sorry.. i don't want to keep fixing whats already installed...

Crosley.In.AZ

I will adapt a 2 barrel onto the log head at some point ( maybe) ...

At this point I'd like to get this bucket of bolts running.  That will be difficult with my work so slooooow.  :!:
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

I bought some Autolite plugs... # 45

I will see how this works for now.

I may lite the motor for the first time this afternooon

8)
Tony