I'm back and looking for new tools

Started by 48builder, October 20, 2008, 12:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

Hey guys. I have been missing for about 8 months while my company had me running all over the place. I have not touched my car since January, but now I am ready to get going again. My goal was to have it on the road this year, but work has to come before play.

Sometime soon I want to start upgrading my tools. I really need new sockets. All of mine were recieved as a Xmas gift from my dad back in 1975. They are Craftsman, and many of the sockets are illegible, especially at my age.

I'd like to get Snap-on, but really can't afford them. Any suggestions for a good quality set of sockets?

Thanks

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

kb426

TEAM SMART

river1

Quote from: "kb426"craftsman laser etched.

yup and with Christmas coming the sales are too.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

enjenjo

If you have a place that carries them, wright sockets are good quality, lifetime warrentee. They are more indutrial orented, and are much cheaper than Snapon.

For impact sockets, I am using a set from Harbor Freight, I have yet to break one after five years of use. The whole set from 1/2" to 1" cost less than one Snapon socket.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"If you have a place that carries them, wright sockets are good quality, lifetime warrentee. They are more indutrial orented, and are much cheaper than Snapon.

For impact sockets, I am using a set from Harbor Freight, I have yet to break one after five years of use. The whole set from 1/2" to 1" cost less than one Snapon socket.

Don't want to highjack the thread, but I have a related question. Does any know about Kobalt tools that Lowes carries? They seem nice, they aren't cheap to buy though, but I'd pay Craftsman prices for something other than Craftsman, i have no good luck with them.

river1

Quote from: "phat46"
Quote from: "enjenjo"If you have a place that carries them, wright sockets are good quality, lifetime warrentee. They are more indutrial orented, and are much cheaper than Snapon.

Don't want to highjack the thread, but I have a related question. Does any know about Kobalt tools that Lowes carries? They seem nice, they aren't cheap to buy though, but I'd pay Craftsman prices for something other than Craftsman, i have no good luck with them.

when lowes first came out with kobalt they were made by snap-on. after the contract ran out kobalt started being made by (i think) mac tools. do a search over at  THE GARAGE JOURNAL, i know there have have been threads about this subject.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

wayne petty

i have tons of tools....   i have also found some of the dark nickel plated sockets from harbor freight  nice..   not had good luck with their ratchets...

but i have used http://www.gpsocket.com/   brand stuff for my 3/8 impact swivel stuff for decades...    i found that the body was thinner so i could get it in tighter places...  

i think most everybody has figured that out now..... so the point may be moot on impact swivel sockets...

just my 2 cents...

Crosley.In.AZ

Laser surgery on the eyes or better glasses.

:shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)