Dome light anyone?

Started by Fat Fanny, October 16, 2008, 12:04:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fat Fanny

I am in the process of wiring (American Auto Wire) my 51 Chevy truck and the next bag tells me to wire the dome light to the door post button. I don't have a door post button. However after thinking about it I might like to have that option on a dark night. Has anyone here added one to their project? If so how did it work out?

I have decided to add a door jam button on both doors. I dropped by NAPA today and looked through their catalog of door jam buttons. I think the one I need will be one that I can just push into a hole I drill in the door post. I'm thinking it should be very flat at the post so the door will shut as it is suppose to.
Does anyone have a suggestion on drilling the hole for the button? Any warnings etc.?

enjenjo

How is this designed to be wired? It makes a dtfference if you are switching power or the ground.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

crdnblu

Do you have a dome light now, just not controlled by the door opening?  Also, you'll want to know the dimensions of the space between your door leading edge, and the A-pillar as door pins are available in different lengths.  There are threaded ones that give you the most flexibility in installation.

Fat Fanny

enjenjo
According to the directions the first thing to do is run a ground from the door jam button to the light.  I'm sure I will need to run a positive wire there as well with the button being the ground.  

crdnblu
Yes I have the orig dome light and there is no door jam button.  I assume the way to set it up would be to drill the door pillar, drop the wire down through the window post and into the door pillar and wire the button and snap it in.

True about the space between the leading edge of the door and the pillar.  I don't know this as the doors are not here.  I will check that out before I buy the actuator.

enjenjo

Quote from: "Fat *"enjenjo
According to the directions the first thing to do is run a ground from the door jam button to the light.  I'm sure I will need to run a positive wire there as well with the button being the ground.  

crdnblu
Yes I have the orig dome light and there is no door jam button.  I assume the way to set it up would be to drill the door pillar, drop the wire down through the window post and into the door pillar and wire the button and snap it in.

True about the space between the leading edge of the door and the pillar.  I don't know this as the doors are not here.  I will check that out before I buy the actuator.

Ok, you are switching the ground. This switch will work NAPA DJ6082. There is also a dome light terminal on the headlight switch of you are using a GM switch, it is also a ground, and you can connect the door switchs, and the dome light ground there.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.