Brand new 283

Started by DRD57, June 16, 2004, 01:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRD57

When I got that 283 from the local high school a few weeks ago several of you (former juvenile delinquents) recommended that i open it up to make sure that no one attempted to sabotage the engine while it was in the auto shop for all those years.

I must confess that I intended to ignore that advice for a few reasons. First, I'm a little more daring than some of you and I was willing to take my chances. Second, the engine came from Arroyo High School in El Monte and the juvenile delinquents are much more hard core and creative than merely putting foreign substances in the shop engines to see if they would blow up. If they want to blow something up they're more likely to use explosives.  

However, While lifting the engine from the stand and into the chassis, I dropped a bolt down the distributor hole. Attempts to fish it out with a magnet merely forced it further into the recesses of the crankcase.

While the crew of helpers was in the shop tonight I needed to find a job for one of the "less skilled, wannabe hot rodders" who wanted to help. He's a great guy who we always help.  He always  feels indebted and wants to pitch in but he's way short on skills. So, I had him pull the pan and clean up the 38 year old gasket material. He was glad to do it.

The engine is as clean as a whistle inside. I've never taken a new engine apart before so, I never saw one this clean. It has obviously never been apart, there are no foreign substances in it and it obviously has not been run more than a few minutes, ever.

enjenjo

That engine has obviously never been to Sylvania High school. We had a donated 300 hp 327 in 63, direct from Chevrolet. The teacher wouldn't let any of us touch it. None the less the Vette valve covers and AFB carb came up missing in the first couple weeks of school. They were replaced by the local dealer, and the engine was locked in the tool crib, along with the BW 4 speed that came with it. About mid year, " someone" broke into the shop, and got the trans, clutch, and bell housing. That wasn't replaced. About the end of the year, the shop was broken into again, the tool crib cut open with a torch, accessed by cutting through the ceiling, and the whole engine was gone, along with the fancy stand Chevy supplied.

The next year one of the guys had a really quick 58 Vette, sure did run good for a stock 283 :lol:

Glad to hear you were lucky!!!
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

purplepickup

That 283 sounds like quite a find Don.  The donated engine at our highschool was disassembled and reassembled quite often and would have broken rings and scored cylinders or crank journals.  Your's must have just been used for display.  At least now you know for sure what it's like inside.

It must be nice to have a crew hanging around just waiting for orders.  Kinda like boyd's shop, eh? 8) :lol:
George

DRD57

Quote from: "purplepickup"It must be nice to have a crew hanging around just waiting for orders.  Kinda like boyd's shop, eh? 8) :lol:

Yeah, just like that  :roll:

Actually, I have a couple of retired friends who love to hang out with other guys and work on projects but they don't have the motivation to have a project of their own and they don't particularly like working on projects by themselves. They love coming over to my shop and helping me with whatever I'm working on. I have to keep an eye on them though. They're not hot rodders and every once in a while their solution to a problem compromises the look I was trying to achieve.

They work cheap too. Burritos and cokes makes 'em happy.

OldSub

Quote from: "DRD57"
Quote from: "purplepickup"It must be nice to have a crew hanging around just waiting for orders.  Kinda like boyd's shop, eh? 8) :lol:

Yeah, just like that   .........

They work cheap too. Burritos and cokes makes 'em happy.

My teenage son's friends will come over and help if I ask.  Some of them have real skills, but still are thrilled to have a chance to work on one of my projects.  I feed them pizza and pop.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "Snip . . . and it obviously has not been run more than a few minutes, ever.[/quote
Is the crank snout drilled and tapped for the retaining bolt yet?

Having just done the heads on mine; I'd also suggest you check the valve stems/guides.  If it is dry, they may have rusted and dried, and when it's started they could gaul.   I would, at least, try to get some good lube on the stems.

DRD57

Quote from: "Pope Downunder"Is the crank snout drilled and tapped for the retaining bolt yet?

Nope