Antifreeze

Started by phat46, October 05, 2008, 01:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

Can you mix the O.E.M. Pink stuff with the green (Peak) stuff? The Peak  says you can use it in any vehicle....

tomslik

Quote from: "phat46"Can you mix the O.E.M. Pink stuff with the green (Peak) stuff? The Peak  says you can use it in any vehicle....

who's "pink stuff"?
theres LOTS of different pink stuff out there...

i AM talking about antifreeze;)

anyway, i wouldn't....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Rich Guzman

I wouldn't.. one is propylene glycol the other ethylene glycol, they colored them different to prevent mixing the two. While both are safe to use in most applications (check label) I'm not too sure what would happen if you mixed  them.  Also note on the label one the green one is not safe to ingest  (swallow...it'll kill you ...or your little dog too :twisted: ) the other is supposed to be enviromentaly safe.... :?:
Temporarily stranded in the Panhandle

phat46

Quote from: "tomslik"
Quote from: "phat46"Can you mix the O.E.M. Pink stuff with the green (Peak) stuff? The Peak  says you can use it in any vehicle....

who's "pink stuff"?
theres LOTS of different pink stuff out there...

i AM talking about antifreeze;)

anyway, i wouldn't....

The pink stuff came in the truck, '02 Dodge....

* Edit* I just went out and actually read the  jug..it say it can be mixed with any color antifreeze. The peak website say the same thing, so I guess I'll just end up with funny colored antifreeze....

wayne petty

i seem to recall a dexicool lawsuit/settelment...   saw something about it last week...  payed no attention as i never used the stuff in any car....

there was something else about the  gm 3.1, 3.4, 3.8,  intake manifold gasket repair bill refunds....

Grandadeo

Maybe you can find clear radiator hoses and start a whole new trend.  Coolant to match the body color of your car.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

enjenjo

The problem with mixing Dexcool, and the old antifreeze, they both contain disolved silica, this is to protect any aluminum in the system. the chemical used to keep it in suspension is not compatible from one to the other. so the silica precipitates out, as a crystal, kind of like sand, which is also silica, you can imagine what that does.

The problem with Dexcool, and GM engines is because it corrodes the gasket material, causing both internal, and external leaks. GM has changed the gasket material at lest twice to fix the problem, If it works is yet to be seen.

The new universal coolants have a different formula, and are supposed to be compatible with both. For the price of a gallon of antifreeze, I wouldn't mix them, but that's just me.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"The problem with mixing Dexcool, and the old antifreeze, they both contain disolved silica, this is to protect any aluminum in the system. the chemical used to keep it in suspension is not compatible from one to the other. so the silica precipitates out, as a crystal, kind of like sand, which is also silica, you can imagine what that does.

The problem with Dexcool, and GM engines is because it corrodes the gasket material, causing both internal, and external leaks. GM has changed the gasket material at lest twice to fix the problem, If it works is yet to be seen.

The new universal coolants have a different formula, and are supposed to be compatible with both. For the price of a gallon of antifreeze, I wouldn't mix them, but that's just me.

I chIckened out.......where can one buy the pink stuff?

Fat Cat

Quote from: "phat46"I chIckened out.......where can one buy the pink stuff?

Any auto parts store ask for Dexcool

river1

Quote from: "Fat Cat"
Quote from: "phat46"I chIckened out.......where can one buy the pink stuff?

Any auto parts store ask for Dexcool

dodge used dexcool? i thought it was a GM only issue.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

phat46

Who thought antifreeze would get complicated? My brother also has an '02 Dodge truck. I have the 5.9 (360), he has the 4.7. His antifreeze is not pink, more of a gold/yellow color.....Mine was leaking slightly at the thermostat housing, his drips from very slightly from the overflow hose.

unklian

Quote from: "phat46"Who thought antifreeze would get complicated?

Seems like EVERYTHING is complicated these days.   :roll:

tomslik

the BEST option, in MY opinion, is to flush it and put in the green stuff.
that being said, i still have dexcool in my truck and i keep a gallon of toyota red stuff around for the scion we own..
where to get the mopar stuff?
try thr dealer;)... :lol:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

After replacing the gaskets in my Pontiac, It got green stuff too. If you decide to switch, thoroughly flush the system first.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

The 99 300m we had came with dexcool. My 2000 dakota has regular ? anti freeze in it. The 06 charger is different still. I was always told that dexcool was supposed to be the best for all alum. engines. After everything that has happened, I'm scared about most colors. I did put Honda blue stuff in my bikes though.
TEAM SMART