Wheel width vs tire size

Started by ragtag, October 03, 2008, 06:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragtag

What is a good rule of thumb to use in determing wheel width for different size tites. Example: 750R16 tire. The tread is 6.40" and the cross section is 8.00". I would think a 7" or 8" is the way to go. What do you guys think. Also are there any negatives to going with a 5 x 5 1/2" bolt pattern. The only new front Ford hub for drum brakes I can find (Speedway has it) is the 5 X 5 1/2". There seem to be plenty of wheels with that pattern. Is there a reason I should stay away from it??

Charlie Chops 1940

You can download a catalog from Diamonback and/or Coker that shows recommended rim widths. Generally the rim width matches the tread width though there is usually some range.

Bias plies aren't as forgiving on wider rims than recommended. They look funny...

Nothing wrong with 5 on 5.5 BC for a Ford hot rod. It's pretty traditional and steel wheels in 15" and 16" abound. I am setting up my '32 roadster with finned alum backing plates and Buick drums all the way around.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!