it might not look different but maybe it will look better

Started by GPster, September 23, 2008, 08:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

Do they make a DPDT hydralic brake light switch? When I gutted the S10 Ikept a piece of the firewall so that I would have the factory placement relationship for the steering column, brake pedal and gas pedal. The latest project was to set the steering column and build the steering shaft between the column and the steering box. Tonight I placed the pedals where they were supposed to end up in raltionship to the column and the column switches and the brake pedal switches want to occupy the same space. Because there is only 10" between the firewall and the dash on the Jeepster space is kind of tight so if the brake light switch was somewhere else it might be better. One problem is that it is a dual master cylinder and I don't know if there's a problem working the switch from only one hydralic side. Secondly the transmission has a locking torque converter so I need a set of contacts that open on application to unlock the torque converter. I know I could do this with a relay but the engine's computor already puts a strain on my psychie. GPster

Jokester

Don't know of any hydraulic ones, but there are lots of mechanical ones that will do it.   Newer cars have 6 pins, 2 for brake lights, 2 for cruise control disconnect, and 2 for park release solenoid.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

GPster

Got one of those. It came with one. Maybe I can mount it on the other side and reverse the wiring. GPster

GPster

It looks a  little better today. Yesterday I had spent the day (I'm slow) modifying the brake light switch mount on the pedal assembley so that I could cut a lot of the original mount away and get the 16" of pedal assembly in a 10" opening. Late in the day I forgot which way the switch goes into the mount so the switch is not opposite the steering column switches. Of course now the switch is crowding the upper steering column mount so I'l have to modify that modification. I'd mount it with a 2 1/8" muffler clamp if it wasn't for those bundles of wires. Yesterday I cut a few offending branches off the willow tree that hangs over the pond. I better doctor those scabs (mostly on it's trunk, not mine) before Linda gets home. I'd like to show people what I accomplish but the day's work on the Jeepster and the lumbering is not something I can have pride about. GPster

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

OK, now my manufactured steering column/dash mount is in the way of the brake light switch. There used to be a small ad in the back of the magazines for a simple, steel mount that used the 4 weld nuts on the side of GM columns for an adaptable upper column mount. The ads aren't in there any more and I checked back in some older magazines and I cant find it there either. I also went through 9 pages of a Google search and about the only thing I can find is billet. I remember this mount was $39.95  I thought I could make something like that for myself if I ever needed it and save some money but he seems to have engineered his better that mine. I'm not planning to steal his idea for intermitent windshiel wipers but I sure would like to see that product's picture again. Today I'll finish my re-design of the brake pedal mount with the cut-oof disc in my side-grinder. I've heard bad stories about cars with a non-working neutral safety switches and I don't think it's wise to mount the pedal and power brake vacuum diaphram on only 3 bolts. GPster

UGLY OLDS

QuoteThere used to be a small ad in the back of the magazines for a simple, steel mount that used the 4 weld nuts on the side of GM columns for an adaptable upper column mount. The ads aren't in there any more and I checked back in some older magazines and I cant find it there either. I also went through 9 pages of a Google search and about the only thing I can find is billet. I remember this mount was $39.95  I thought I could make something like that for myself if I ever needed it and save some money but he seems to have engineered his better that mine.

Joe ...Try this site ...this is the shop that made those mounts . I have one in the Olds ..Trust me ..You cant make one for $39.00 ...They work great ....

http://www.edstwincityrodandcustom.com/

Hope this helps ...............Bob..... :wink: ..( I got REAL old magizines ... :lol:  )
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

GPster

Quote from: UGLY OLDS
QuoteJoe ...Try this site ...this is the shop that made those mounts . I have one in the Olds ..Trust me ..You cant make one for $39.00 ...They work great ....
http://www.edstwincityrodandcustom.com/
Hope this helps ...............Bob..... :wink: ..( I got REAL old magizines ... :lol:  )
I checked that site but found no catalog or products that they made. I ran it through Google and didn't get anything different. Now that I have a name I'll check in my old magazines ia the Vendor index. Thanks for the lead. GPster

enjenjo

Call them Joe. It's a one man operation, and you will be talking to the boss.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Now that I knew the vendor's name I found it in one of my old magazines. It looks just like I remembered but not as I had imagined. I had imagined it having a provision for the variable angles of the dash bottom and steering column but it does not. I had built one using parts of the original factory mountand angle iron and carriage bolts. The first try worked but it made the space a little tighter. I was thinking spending money would take care of the space problems but that solution would only create other problems so I'll just revise/redesign. I got the abbriviated pedal assembly in yesterday along with the power brake booster. Everything was within factory tolerences but one of the column's switches was too close to the pedal arm. I walked away from it and grumbled. Four hours later I was back in the garage and the switch in question was the headlight dimmer switch. I think I'll put one on the floor where old cars used to have them. GPster