39 Ford rear end conversion

Started by ragtag, September 22, 2008, 09:48:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragtag

I'm looking to put a Chassis Engineering rear end system in a 39. Has anyone used this stuff and is this the best approach? They say a 56" rear end (68-74 Nova, 67-69 Camaro/Firebird (multi-leaf) and 57-59 Ford 9" and all Granada 8") is needed . Are these still around (I'm in Michigan) Thanks.

Deuce

I used their kit to put a 9 inch under my brother's 1940 Ford coupe and we were pretty pleased with the kit. I used a 58 Ford rear end ( my favorite 57-59 ) and they are still to be had around in my area. Enenjoe told me he has only ever seen 2 or 3 junk 57 - 59 Fords with the rear ends under them. He gets around a lot so they may be a little hard to find in your area ...  :(

We have a junk yard a few miles from my house that has at least 15 to 20 57/59 Fords with the rears still under them. Last one I bought was $125.

RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

enjenjo

I've used the CE setup, works good. Most easily found rear in that size range in these parts is Explorer or S10 4x4
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

ragtag

Thanks guys. If you know of any rear ends please let me know.

enjenjo

ragtag

I'm up in the thumb east of Saginaw about 20 miles.

Okiedokie

Maverick 5 lug in my coupe fit's well. I also have used CE several times and like their stuff. Joe

Carnut

Yep, I put a CE setup under my 40 Ford back in 89 w/70 Nova Rear End.

Ran the 70 Nova Rear for 10yrs or so and then decided I wanted a narrower
rear and found a 66 Nova Rear that was 3" narrower and bolted it in. The 66 Nova rear has allowed me to run 8" wide wheels on the back. Also I found the CE springs were a bit soft for me so I added a couple leaves to the spring set to get the ride I prefer. My friend T-vicky says it now rides like a lumber wagon.

GPster

Quote from: "Carnut"Ran the 70 Nova Rear for 10yrs or so and then decided I wanted a narrower
rear and found a 66 Nova Rear that was 3" narrower and bolted it in. The 66 Nova rear has allowed me to run 8" wide wheels on the back. Also I found the CE springs were a bit soft for me so I added a couple leaves to the spring set to get the ride I prefer. My friend T-vicky says it now rides like a lumber wagon.
That puts it in the range of a 2WD S10 at about 54". You should be able to find one of them anywhere (like my garage) GPster

57larry

used their kit 3 times in 2 cars & 1 truck. used a nova and 2 ford 8 inch rear end. very happy with outcome

UGLY OLDS

I have used their kits on alot of different cars.. They work ..The first time ..Per the instructions...."Nuff said.....Ask for Jim ..He owns the place & is SUPER easy going & willing to help....

Bob.............. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

70 Nova is about 60" wide. 66 67 Nova is about 56" wide. Granada ia 57" Maverick is 56" 78 to 87 G and A body GM is about 57"early Explorer is 56"

t-vicky

Using the term" lumber wagon " is being nice.  I dont know why he even used springs.

compact

i think fairlane 500 62-64 is also 8inch and 56 odd wide...there may be a few of them around :roll:  :)