'89 Cadillac V-8?

Started by OldSub, June 14, 2004, 01:26:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSub

I've been offered the V-8 from a frontdrive 1989 Cadillac.

My first thought was that I wasn't interested, but it occured to me that I really don't know anything about that motor.   Is there anything about this motor, or the car itself, that would suggest I reconsider?

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

Bib_Overalls

I don't know much myself.

Think the Allante came with a traverse mounted 4.1L/250 V8.  Other models came with a traverse mounted 4.5L/273 V8.

They also had a traverse mounted 2.8L/173CI V6 in their line up somewhere.  None of these engines are noted for their performance.

I thought that some Caddys from that era had Chevy (oops corporate) V8s but I could not find a reference.  

Having said that, I would still take the engine.  You may be able to sell it to a rebuilder.  And someone on EBay will buy it for sure.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

58 Yeoman

Seems in my area, the 4.1L engines are junk, in the RWD cars, anyway. Seems to have a problem with the crankshaft falling apart or breaking.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

model a vette

Yeah, all the 4.1's FWD or RWD were pretty much crap. I think some of the other problems were head gasket leaks and oil in the water from porous castings. I think the later ones went to 4.5 and then 4.9. The 4.9 may be the Northstar. The 2.8 V6 Chevy/corporate engine went to 3.1 and then 3.4. There were even some overhead cam versions which were 3.4. Those were never popular so GM never sorted then out very well and withdrew the option.
Ed

OldSub

Thanks for the input!

I can't find anyone who thinks this motor would do anything I need, so much as I hate to pass on a free car, this one won't be coming here.  

That whoop of excitement you hear isn't related to the Pistons' victory, its my wife happy she won't have another to look at...

Steve@OldSub.com

OldSub

Quote from: "OldSub"I can't find anyone who thinks this motor would do anything I need, so much as I hate to pass on a free car, this one won't be coming here.

The motor is a 4.5 and the car is now sitting in my yard.  I decided I wanted a bunch of stuff like the power leather seat and power windows and locks.

Most likely the motor will still be in it when it leaves here.

Any treasures on a car like this?  '89 Cadillac Sedan DeVille?

Steve@OldSub.com

unklian

They look good on on paper,
compact design,aluminum block,lighter than a SBC,available up to 4.9L.

Unfortunately,real world experience says stay away.
Head gaskets,crankshafts,etc. :roll:
You might get away with it,or maybe not.

rooster

Quote from: "unklian"They look good on on paper,
compact design,aluminum block,lighter than a SBC,available up to 4.9L.

Unfortunately,real world experience says stay away.
Head gaskets,crankshafts,etc. :roll:
You might get away with it,or maybe not.

I had a 87 4.1 , heads started leaking AF at around 75k, fixed that kept it for another 60K. Other than that no problems!

OldSub

This one has 197,000 on it, and after driving it a little I'm absolutely certain its not a driver.  But the problems are the automatic and worn shocks and struts.

I've seen this motor turned 'sideways' to use rear drive.  Anyone know what it takes to do that?

Steve@OldSub.com

unklian

The bellhousing pattern is the same as the Chevy 60 degree V6,
so any 60 degree V6 transmission would work.Those motors almost bolt into a Fiero becasue you don't need a specail belhousing adapter.
I'm not exactly sure about the starter motor.

OldSub

Quote from: "unklian"The bellhousing pattern is the same as the Chevy 60 degree V6,
so any 60 degree V6 transmission would work.T

That almost makes it interesting...  a T-5 and this motor in one of my old trucks.

Any idea what it takes to run it without a computer?  I stare at a computer all day at work, and really don't want them messing with my toys!

Steve@OldSub.com

Bib_Overalls

Quote from: "OldSub"That almost makes it interesting...  a T-5 and this motor in one of my old trucks.

Any idea what it takes to run it without a computer?  I stare at a computer all day at work, and really don't want them messing with my toys!

The T-5 will require a custom flywheel.  And you will have to keep the computer.  If it has a TBI you may be able to fiddle with the manifold and find a way to mount a carb.  But the reall problem is ignition.  They don't  have a distributor and you can not swap one in.  

And with 200K it is shot.  It may run.  But if you open it up everything will need to be replaced.

My vote.  Pass.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

OldSub

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"They don't  have a distributor and you can not swap one in.

It has what looks like an HEI on it.  I expected that with some modifications I'd be able convert that to a non-computer distributor.  You're saying you know that can't be done?

Steve@OldSub.com

unklian

Yes,they have a distributor.
Here is the back of the block,the distributor is clearly visable.

The Caddy Norstar motors don't have a distributor. They came later,much better design.Also more expensive.

This site should give you some ideas of what can be done with these motors:http://members.fortunecity.com/bubbajoexx/id18.htm

Bib_Overalls

I stand corrected.  Actually I am sitting on a stool and facing into the corner.  And I am wearing a Conehead hat.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks