steering wheels

Started by threefive, September 20, 2008, 03:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threefive

My 59 Chev pickup has taken a turn here and i have changed directions with it.  I am running an 80's Pontiac tilt column, my question is what older model steering wheels will fit the spline? What i would like to do is find something late 50's early 60's, Buick, Chev, Olds, whatever has some character to it. Are all G.M. splines the same? Thanks for any input. Gord.

enjenjo

The splines are the same from the 30s until today. but the horn mechanism may be different. I know I installed a 59 Impala wheel onto a 70s van column with no problems.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

threefive

Thanks Enjenjo...greatly appreciated. I just heard of a 60 Olds. buried in a blackberry patch, i am hoping the wheel is still there.

enjenjo

A 60 Olds has a really deep wheel, so it may end up too high without shortening the column.

threefive

The Olds wheel  so they tell me is on a 55 Chev pickup, so i am interested in what they did.  If i can cut through the blackberries the Olds wheel would be a good swap meet item. I like the looks of a 55 Buick Wheel as they are flat which suits my fit in the truck. Perhaps another question i should ask is, would other makes Ford, Mopar etc. share the same spline? There seems to be more of them for sale on Ebay than G.M. Thanks. Gord

enjenjo

no, most of them don't have the same spline

threefive

Thats good to know, thanks for the info. A few of us Canucks are heading down to the Hot Rod Reunion in Bakersfield so i might find something in the swap meet area.