Clutch disc won't fit

Started by Mac, September 12, 2008, 10:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

I got a 1"-14 spline clutch disc for the T5 swap I'm doing in my `63 C-10. The disc won't fit on the 1"-14 spline input shaft. The disc hub is too tight on the shaft splines. Just begins to go on but not even 1/4". I find witness marks from the interference on the disc splines heal and toe facing -> /\<-

I ordered a disc for `84 S-10 2.8 6cyl. application in order to get a 9 11/16" diameter to be more compatable with my 10" P Plate although the trans is actually a `90 or `91 vintage. Still, 1"-14 spline should be the same regardless, I reckon. This disc is Perfection brand but "made in China".
Can it possibly be out of spec machining??
Who\'s yer Data?

Mac

Problem solved !

The parts store ordered in a 2nd disc. This time I threw the tranny in the trunk of my car so I could test it right there in the parking lot of the store. This one fit just like it should.
I guess sub-standard applies to machining as well as material.  

The guy with the 3 cornered file in the off-shore country making the disc hubs must have been having an off day.  :shock:
Who\'s yer Data?

tomslik

umm, aren't you concerned about the quality/durability of the "new" disc?
i be gotahell if i'd use it.... :shock:

i prefer LUK or Daikin...

or OEM

no rebuilts

i don't like doing clutches twice (or more)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Mac

I'm not any smarter than Wile E. and just as desperate.
Who\'s yer Data?

Crosley.In.AZ

The dual mass flywheel in my VW diesel  that just took a dump.... is built by LUK

The new replacement flywheel is also built by LUK

:shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"The dual mass flywheel in my VW diesel  that just took a dump.... is built by LUK

prolly built to vw specs the 1st time :lol:

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"
Quote from: "Crosley"The dual mass flywheel in my VW diesel  that just took a dump.... is built by LUK

prolly built to vw specs the 1st time :lol:

That would be great since the Germans are some of the best OEM car builders.
Tony

wayne petty

but dual mass flywheels are a lot cheeper than all the other parts that will be broken if they did not exist...  like crank shafts, manual transmissions, drive shafts, and rear ends....

i am just curious... how many thousand miles did it last in the vw...

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "wayne petty"but dual mass flywheels are a lot cheeper than all the other parts that will be broken if they did not exist...  like crank shafts, manual transmissions, drive shafts, and rear ends....

Hi Wayne... my VW had 65,890 mile on the flywheel when it started making noise...  Since i knew the out come , I bought a new flywheel.

Some folks on a TDI forum have seen flywheels blow apart and take the DSG trans out too.  Some as low as 40k miles as I recall reading.

Warranty  on VW power train was 60k miles... mine was out of warranty.

I'll be buying a toyota or honda small car next.  My wife used the lexus word last week  as we discussed cars..

The Smart for 2 car is a bit too  small for us.  We haul grand kids a few times a year

8)
Tony

Carnut

Crosley, buy two smart for 2's alternate driving them until the grand kids show up, then hookup towbar and pull one with the other while grand kids are there.

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "wayne petty"but dual mass flywheels are a lot cheeper than all the other parts that will be broken if they did not exist...  like crank shafts, manual transmissions, drive shafts, and rear ends....

Hi Wayne... my VW had 65,890 mile on the flywheel when it started making noise...  Since i knew the out come , I bought a new flywheel.

Some folks on a TDI forum have seen flywheels blow apart and take the DSG trans out too.  Some as low as 40k miles as I recall reading.

Warranty  on VW power train was 60k miles... mine was out of warranty.

I'll be buying a toyota or honda small car next.  My wife used the lexus word last week  as we discussed cars..

The Smart for 2 car is a bit too  small for us.  We haul grand kids a few times a year

8)

from what i've read about the milage on a fartcar, it ain't worth the $$$.
i don't concider 41 mpg hiway anything to brag about...

especially if you have 2 people in the car and happened to pick up a bag of groceries...

i don't know about the quality, haven't been close enough to look at 'em.

DID see a thing on youtube where somebody stuck a hayabusa enginge in one.
THAT looked like fun;)

Mac

I finished up the conversion yesterday. 2 mile test last evening and I drove it to work today. So far so good. Way smoother than the old 3spd. with aftermkt. floor shift and the OD is what it was all for. );b(
Who\'s yer Data?