Any "Painters" on here?

Started by HotRodPaint, August 30, 2008, 10:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HotRodPaint

I love to talk shop, and see what others are doing, that might be interesting.

58Apache

I am NOT a pro, but I painted my car myself, with the exception of the flames, which I hired out.

I am pretty proud of myself and learned a lot doing it. I have a few areas to touch up, but overall I'm pretty happy!

I even put in some micro-flake, used black, and shot 2 rounds of 3 coats of clear. Sanding in between the rounds.

I used all Southern Polyurethane paints. But they are no longer making the base coats.

http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd16/csmartin33/?albumview=slideshow

Steve

HotRodPaint

Good looking job!  Black is the hardest, since the bodywork, and finish work have to be near perfect.

I've got a black one coming....and what is worse is it is a truck from the thirties.  That means it was beat up for 70 years....and now it needs to be better than new.  :-(

If it didn't have a big nasty Hemi, I would not be so quick to take it!  :-)

I use mostly R-M paints, with some HOK and X-Otic paints mixed in.  If anyone ever needs some advise, I am always glad to share.

One question.......now that you have done a job that requires a lot of effort.......will you do another.  A lot of people say "no more" after the first big job.

Crosley.In.AZ

I have not painted cars in years.  Learned paint stuff during the " Every body needs a Custom Van " era .  :lol:

What brands are the top 3 used for  primer to the top coats ?

I've still got 5-6 paint guns.. gravity feed , siphon , couple of  mini-guns.  They are old enough that todays painters would look at them and ask " Did you really paint cars with that?"

:T)

In the old school daze .. another fellow and i painted used cars for cheap-o car lots with enamel house paint thinned out with lacquer thinner.  The cars would shine like a spanked baby's butt.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

HotRodPaint

That's about when I started painting, too.  I have a couple bikes coming that will include some psychedelic graphics.  I'll have to get my old record albums out to put me in the mood.  :-)

I use a combination of old and new spray guns.  I believe that you could give the latest equipment to a painter, and that will make the job easier...but his work won't look any different, because that is not what makes someone pay attention to the details, or set the standard for his work.

I really don't know what the top three lines of paint would be.  Every painter has a different opinion.  If there were a poll, I bet PPG would make the cut, and HOK for custom colors.

I remember hearing stories about early paint "tricks".  I always stuck to the basics.  It keeps me out of trouble.

If you are an old van painter, here is a '60s-style job that you might like.  I just did this for a guy on the east coast.

58Apache

Quote from: "HotRodPaint"Good looking job!  Black is the hardest, since the bodywork, and finish work have to be near perfect.

One question.......now that you have done a job that requires a lot of effort.......will you do another.  A lot of people say "no more" after the first big job.

Thanks!  Yeah I put a ton of work and products into this knowing that it had to look next to perfect.

That 58 Apache 1 ton is next. If it was a car, unless it was something extremely rare or meant something really special tome, no, I don't think I would do it again!

But since this is a truck, with no bed, I think I know more on what I am doing now and can maybe work smarter and use less product, and do things over less.

I still plan on going black, so I know I have a ton of body work ahead of me still. I am thinking on trying my hand at customizing the hood as well!

Picture that truck lowered in front. Chrome rims, Black paint with realistic flames, a picture of an Apache chief in war headdress on the doors, chrome exhaust stacks like an 18 wheeler, some running lights on top, and lots of chrome up front.

Add to that a customized  hood, a dressed up 348 under the hood with Edelbrock 409 heads and possibly a 409 stroker crank, an automatic tranny, and a custom interior -digital gauges, tilt stainless column, and shiney red paint on most interior metal. A custom under-dash console will hold A/C, Stereo, and gauges.

Good luck on your hemi truck job! Sounds like a challenge and will look good and do wonders for your reputation! Post pictures!

Steve

HotRodPaint

Thanks for the encouragement....but reputation is not a problem.  Like most painters, I work for people within a hundred miles....except for bikes, which can be mailed if someone likes your style.

Like you, I started out painting my own stuff.......mostly because I didn't like the quality I was getting from others.  As I improved, my friends hired (and encouraged) me.

BTW, whoever did your flames did a great job!

enjenjo

I did a lot of painting in the 70s, pretty much got away from it. I did vans, panel jobs, murals, lace, cobwebs, acetylene, and all the other stuff. But as time went on, I developed allergies to a lot of the paints, so I farm it out.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

HotRodPaint

enjenjo, I am waiting for the day I have a reaction to the isocyanates in catalyst.  I know guys who haven't been doing this nearly as long, that can't paint any more.  I have been using a remote air mask for about 12-14 years.  Maybe that has been the difference.

Thank God there is some pretty good waterbase paint now....though I would have to have someone else do the clearcoats.....unless I can hold out for another 20 years.  :-)