Transmission cooling

Started by Topsterguy, August 20, 2008, 05:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

I've presently got one of those small coolers under the coupe , by the frame rail, with short lines going to the trans, BUT I'm not that crazy about that setup cuz the headers and exhaust is there too so there's lots of hot air. I'm thinking about going back to the "factory way" and run lines up thru the rad in the bottom fittings that are there.  What are the pros and cons about this way? Seems with the air flow comming thru the rad it'd work just fine...............I mean the factory has done it that way for years so it must work okay, right ???  I can't really see any way of using the cooler as I have it now effectively if there's lots of heat down there.  Thoughts ???  Thanks!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

phat rat

I have a large cooler with fan under my 41 almost to the rear-end. I only use the fan when I see the temp start to climb, but running down the highway it stays about 150-160 degrees. I also use a trans temp gauge to monitor it. Plus I have a Derale extra capacity pan w/cooling tubes.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Pep

If its running cool in all conditions, then running it through the radiator would be OK IMHO. ..The problem arises if you tow a lot. Most recommend to run an external cooler to aid the cooling in that situation. It all comes down to how well the radiator copes now. If its a huge unit, then go for it.
See Ya
Pep

Deuce

Use Both
... I do  :)

I use a factory Ford cooler ( like this one ) on the frame rail
OEM PART# 6L1Z-7A095-A
Ford Expedition OEM transmission cooler

I run the transmission fluid thru it and then on to the radiator cooler. Most transmission guys say that your fluid should be around 190 or so for best lubrication and transmission long life. With the fluid going thru the cooler first and then to the radiator cooler, I believe that the first Expedition cooler brings the temperatures down below the 180/190 mark and then the cooler transmission fluid goes to the radiator cooler which not only bring the fluid back up to the recommended range but also takes heat away from the radiator.

I have a small stall converter in my 32 Roadster ... ( 2800 ) and the fluid in my roadster is running 180 ( by the gauge ) in the pan ... after everything warms up.
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

Beck

I ran one of the extruded aluminum tubes on the last 2 cars. These were 32 and 33 3 window highboys. I never had a problem, but never had a tranny temp gauge either. I agree with PEP in his post. I would have used the radiator cooler in each of these rods but my radiators were supplied without the coolers installed.

phat rat

I had no choice on mine as the radiator is an upright triple pass and no room for an in radiator cooler. It works fine and I'm never dumping more heat into the radiator.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Leon

I made the mistake of putting a temp gauge on my tranny, now I watch it more than anything else.  It gets warm on occasion when towing up a hill but then cools off so it probably runs just as good if not better than the OEM setups.

Topsterguy

I don't tow at all with the coupe and it runs 175-180 all the time , so I kind of think running it thru the rad would be enough, but I kind of like the idea of both.......the explanation seems logical!  :)   Thanks!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Wild Bill

Duece got it right.  Tranny fluid too cool is not as bad as tranny fluid too hot, but it ain't good.  Use the air cooler to radiator cooler routing for best performance.