1929 license plates

Started by gazza2947, August 14, 2008, 09:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gazza2947

some time ago - just after I finished the roadster; I was strolling thru a swap meet when I found a vendor with a Kansas 1929 license plate for sale; so i bought it.

since then I have acquired several more USA 1929 plates form different states of USA.

my question is - how many states of USA issued license plates in 1929 with the year on them ??
a hot rod doesn\'t need a roof; but it does need louvres...

Carnut

Think we had all 48 states by 1929 and all would have had tags.

Plus the territories of Alaska and Hawaii.

gazza2947

Quote from: "Carnut"Think we had all 48 states by 1929 and all would have had tags.

Plus the territories of Alaska and Hawaii.

yep - arizona and new mexico were the last two, in 1912 I think...

I just wasn't sure if all the states issued new plates each year.

t-vicky

I should warn you, you are on the edge of a very slippery slope.  40 years ago I started this same way. (same year as my hot rod, thats neat to have.)  I now have over 10,000  license tags. They cover all the walls, half of the ceiling & a couple dozen boxes.

gazza2947

Quote from: "t-vicky"I should warn you, you are on the edge of a very slippery slope.  40 years ago I started this same way. (same year as my hot rod, thats neat to have.)  I now have over 10,000  license tags. They cover all the walls, half of the ceiling & a couple dozen boxes.

given that I either pick them up off evilbay for US$15 or so each; usually plus US$20 postage; or at aussie swap meets where the dealers don't sell any thing under A$50; I won't be going overboard; although i can understand where you're coming from... 8)

all i was really trying to find out is exactly how many I need to collect - max. would be 48; but some states even back then may not have issed new plates each year; so it may be less than 48... :?:

n.c.rodder

Quote from: "gazza2947"

all i was really trying to find out is exactly how many I need to collect - max. would be 48; but some states even back then may not have issed new plates each year; so it may be less than 48... :?:

According to James Fox's license plate book - All 48, plus both territory's issued plates in 1929. Just keep in mind, both Alaska & Hawaii pre-state plates are VERY EXPENSIVE!! :shock:  :shock:

Mike
Till we meet - On the street

gazza2947

Quote from: "t-vicky"I should warn you, you are on the edge of a very slippery slope.  40 years ago I started this same way. (same year as my hot rod, thats neat to have.)  I now have over 10,000  license tags. They cover all the walls, half of the ceiling & a couple dozen boxes.

well - a hobby has become an obsession...

I now have 21 different 1929 USA state licence plates - mostly from the eastern states; it is obvious that the southern states are very, very rare...

( p.s. - EvilBay loves me)

wayne petty

just for the info...

trucks... at least in california used commercial plates...

somebody took the black and yellows off my 70 ranchero.... sold in 69...

commercial plates....   79838F....      when i would go in for tags... the clerks were always looking for more digits..    i do have another set on the 69 econoline van that sits out front...  those i won't post the numbers on...

wayne... sorry i threw a wrench in collecting... and there is a guy in pasadena who cuts them up and makes them into art...

gazza2947

anyone from Illinois ?

I just received two illinois licence plates that have 4" round "arlington heights" tags rivetted to the licence plate.

what is that about ???

ragdol

Arlington Heights is a town in Illinois. May have had a city fee on top of the state.

Crosley.In.AZ

I believe Arizona was the last to become a state of the 48 continuous states.

Some of the early plates were copper or copper plated  if I recall correctly
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "gazza2947"anyone from Illinois ?

I just received two illinois licence plates that have 4" round "arlington heights" tags rivetted to the licence plate.

what is that about ???

Most large cities & its surrounding suburbs in Illinois have a "Municipal Motor Vehicle Tax" paid directly to the city or suburb..this is IN ADDITION to the charges you pay to the state for the license plate..
The cost may vary from $15.00 or $20.00 in a small town to well over $100.00 in Chicago...More for "commerical" vehicles or motor homes...

To give you an idea of the revenue involved, the town I used to live in charged $15.00 for a vehicle "sticker" in the month of December for the following year...If you waited until January to purchase it the cost was $25.00..After that the fee DOUBLED monthly :!: IE: If the police caught you with out a current sticker in July,the cost to get one could be  $1600.00  :shock:  :shock: AND it was only good until the following December  :!:   They used to get the police "cadets" to stand at various intersections around town starting about Sept or so to watch for cars with no "sticker". You would then get pulled over by the regular police to verify your residence. If you lived in town & had no current sticker ,you were ticketed ,went to court & purchased one...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Today almost all cities & towns use decals applied to the windshield , (think state "inspection" sticker size) , as proof that you have paid the tax on your vehicle. In years past,many smaller towns used a small disc or plaque that attached to the license plate.

It appears that's what you have... Kinda neat ...Not seen very often anymore.. I have no idea of their value..

Hope this helps ....

Bob............. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

gazza2947

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"
Quote from: "gazza2947"anyone from Illinois ?

what is that about ???

Most large cities & its surrounding suburbs in Illinois have a "Municipal Motor Vehicle Tax" paid directly to the city or suburb..this is IN ADDITION to the charges you pay to the state for the license plate..
The cost may vary from $15.00 or $20.00 in a small town to well over $100.00 in Chicago...More for "commerical" vehicles or motor homes...

To give you an idea of the revenue involved, the town I used to live in charged $15.00 for a vehicle "sticker" in the month of December for the following year...If you waited until January to purchase it the cost was $25.00..After that the fee DOUBLED monthly :!: IE: If the police caught you with out a current sticker in July,the cost to get one could be  $1600.00  :shock:  :shock: AND it was only good until the following December  :!:   They used to get the police "cadets" to stand at various intersections around town starting about Sept or so to watch for cars with no "sticker". You would then get pulled over by the regular police to verify your residence. If you lived in town & had no current sticker ,you were ticketed ,went to court & purchased one...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Today almost all cities & towns use decals applied to the windshield , (think state "inspection" sticker size) , as proof that you have paid the tax on your vehicle. In years past,many smaller towns used a small disc or plaque that attached to the license plate.

It appears that's what you have... Kinda neat ...Not seen very often anymore.. I have no idea of their value..

Hope this helps ....

Bob............. :wink:

I know their value; it's what I paid - and now they're on my garage wall...

thanks for the info; though...

HotRodLadyCrusr

I went to a HAMB guys house last Sunday.  He had boxes full of license plates for sale.  I purchased 45 Michigan plates and he charged me $75.00.  There are a number of plates I scored that are worth way more each then the $75 he charged me for the whole lot.  Many of them from 1920 - 1940 with a couple of 1932 plates.  I've got enough now (with what I already had) to make a very cool headboard for my bed out of them.

I checked for you, no 1929 plate BUT if I come across one I'll pick it up for you and send it.

I have a copper AZ plate from 1977.  If I remember correctly they made them for 3 years.  A HAMB guy gave it to me for my collection and it now hangs on my kitchen wall.  Some of my favorites are my Australia ones.  I also just received a South Africa one from a HAMB guy there.  

Another neat one I have is a 1940 Phillippines one.  I think Enjenjo was with me when I bought it.  We were at this private junk yard and hanging out in this old barn.  The plate was hanging on the wall along with a few others.  I first pointed to another plate and asked how much.  I was told it wasn't for sale.  I aksed if any of them were and the guy pointed to the 1940 plate, the one I really wanted and said that one.  I asked how much and he said $10.  I couldn't pull my money outta my pocket fast enough. :lol:

If I remember correctly Enjenjo bought some old Playboys from the guy that were also in the barn.

I'm hoping to pick up a few New Zealand license plates when I head there in March.

License plate collecting is a neat hobby and kinda goes hand in hand with the car scene.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

enjenjo

Must be a different Enjenjo. I do remember the licence plate, but the only magazines I remember were Popular Science.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.