Prebent trans cooler lines

Started by junkyardjeff, August 06, 2008, 08:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

Does anyone know a source as even with a tubing bender I keep kinking the 5/16 line or how does one bend the line without kinking.  Jeff

rooster

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"Does anyone know a source as even with a tubing bender I keep kinking the 5/16 line or how does one bend the line without kinking.  Jeff

I have had good luck with one of these benders: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3755

It gets kinda confusing once in awhile, just go slow! pratice on a old one .

enjenjo

I have a Robinair bender, but I see no reason that the HF bender will not work with the proper dies.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

junkyardjeff

I have one similar to the HF bener but it will still kink the 5/16 ltubing.   Jeff

enjenjo

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"I have one similar to the HF bener but it will still kink the 5/16 ltubing.   Jeff

You have the right dies? Each size  tubing takes a different die.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rooster

Quote from: "enjenjo"I have a Robinair bender, but I see no reason that the HF bender will not work with the proper dies.

The HF bender does not accept die's! It does have a position for each different size lines though! So far I have kinked nothing. Pretty cool tool for the money. Just did the rear brake lines on the pickup.

58 Yeoman

I've got one like that that seemed to work fine on the lines on the '41.  Before that, I used the flexible spring type that seemed to work fine also, but  they will only work on unflared lines.  Kind of hard to kink the line when it's surrounded with a spring.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

junkyardjeff

I have found prebent lines so I will buy them if I cant get any locally,they dont have them for a F250 but a galaxie is close enough.  Jeff

wayne petty

i have not only the larger harbor freight unit but the smaller one also...
both work well.. but it always pays to have extra pieces of tube around...

and there is a trick ... used in aircraft tubing... rosemetal..  it melts at a low temp... they fill the tubing with molten rosemetal...  bend it...  then heat the tubing and blow it out... into a proper catch device.. you dont want molten metal flying around .. even if is is under 200 F..... i just checked... it is called model metal... melts at 200F...

other people have plugged the end and frozen it with water in it...  bending it  as soon as you pull it out of the deep freeze is the idea..

i envision a bender with individual sections on the outer side of the bend on a chain think of the chain type pipe wrench chain.. with the pins sticking out.. and outer wedges on that with a roller to force the chain down onto the tube and around the inner die...

freddrew

I still find that a tightly wound yet flexible, coil spring that just fits over the tubing does as good of a job as anything.  You only need about a 6" piece to make the bends then slide the spring to the next required position for a bend.  

Fred Drew
Fred

houston54

I have purchased pre-bent brake lines from inline tube previously.  They also sell trans cooler lines.  You might check their web site to see if they have a set for your application.

Classic Tube is another supplier.

zzford

I have a fiber reinforced plastic one from Robinair. I have used it for many years and I'm real happy with it. It doesn't have any dies to lose, either.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "rooster"
Quote from: "junkyardjeff"Does anyone know a source as even with a tubing bender I keep kinking the 5/16 line or how does one bend the line without kinking.  Jeff

I have had good luck with one of these benders: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3755

It gets kinda confusing once in awhile, just go slow! pratice on a old one .

I too use a bender simular to this ..Its an older "Edelman" Brand..What you may find helpful bending larger tubing is to lube the "round" part of the bender with some light grease or vaseline....The tubing MUST "slide" along this rounded area when you are bending....Also..Make sure you are using "soft" tubing like "bundyflex" or some other automotive tubing...These benders are NOT designed to bend "hard" hydraulic steel tubing...Just soft automotive tubing & copper...

Hope it helps ...

Bob........... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****