rear end

Started by papastoyss, July 25, 2008, 05:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papastoyss

My 40 ford coupe project has a narrowed 96 Camaro rear that needs to go for several reasons. I have a 57 Ford rear that is 57 inches wide. I have previously used a 8in Maverick rear under another 40 that fit good except a little narrow.I don't remember how wide the Maverick rear is, and Carnuts list doesn't show it.Does anybody know the overall width of the Maverick rear so I can compare it to the 57 Ford rear? Also, OReillys doesn't list drums,shoes or hardware any longer,where can I get brake parts? I would just as soon stick with the drum brakes as I am a cheap azz unless a cheap disc conversion was available
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

kb426

the disc brake conversion is the Lincoln mark6 setup. It's the same as the explorer except for small bearing ends. There's a rear end width chart here:
http://www.nzmustang.com/TechData/9inchdiffs.htm
TEAM SMART

57larry

any tech to show how to change over to rear discs?

kb426

The only thing I had to make was 3/16" spacers to fit into where the axle bearings went. The caliper bracket is different than the drum backing plate and didn't hold the bearing in tight.
TEAM SMART

Okiedokie

The Maverick under my 40 coupe is 55 1/2" as best I can measure, wheel mounting surface to surface. I think they fit well under a 40. Had one under my 40 sedan also.Joe

enjenjo

you can find widths here  http://enjenjo.com/9inch.html There is brake info there too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Harry

1974 Maverick is 56.50"
1957-59 Ford..Ranchero and wagon is 57.25"
1977-81 Granada is 58"
1975 Mustang ll, 8" is 57"
www.ridgenet.net/~biesiade/Fordrears.html
If that helps.

Okiedokie

Well I guess I will have to pull off rear wheels and measure again. I don't beleive my Maverick rear can be more than 56".

enjenjo

Quote from: "Joe Gaddy"Well I guess I will have to pull off rear wheels and measure again. I don't beleive my Maverick rear can be more than 56".

I've measured several, and they were all 56.5"

GPster

One thing that ought to be remembered about Maveric rear ends is that the first couple of years the Maverics with 6 cylinder engines had 4 lug axels. GPster

papastoyss

Many thanks to all who replied. Great info. I still have not found a source for new 57 ford rear drums. kb426 , what years Lincolns have the discs you spoke of in case I have to go to plan B?

Okiedokie

Sounds like you have settled on the 57 9". I believe that Master Power Brakes advertises drums and brake parts for large bearing 9" rears. I may still pull my wheels off and measure my Maverick just so I can prove engenjo right.

enjenjo

The 60 to 64 11" by 2" brakes on the rear of full size Fords are a bolt on to a 57 rear. As long as the wheel bearing is the same, most of the later ones will fit too, but there may be issues with the drum pilot diameter. I make a ring, tack weld it to the axle, so later drums fit.

If you want to really feel bad, last month I sold a pair of NOS 57 rear drums.

papastoyss

Quote from: "enjenjo"The 60 to 64 11" by 2" brakes on the rear of full size Fords are a bolt on to a 57 rear. As long as the wheel bearing is the same, most of the later ones will fit too, but there may be issues with the drum pilot diameter. I make a ring, tack weld it to the axle, so later drums fit.

If you want to really feel bad, last month I sold a pair of NOS 57 rear drums.
Oh well, not the first time I've been a day late & a dollar short, ha ha